As a prospective student, you are strongly encouraged to contact the MPA Graduate Advisor (Karolyn Field, firstname.lastname@example.org; 817 272-3340) before beginning the application process to either the online, campus, or city cohort programs. For more information, complete our information request form and we will contact you.
When Do You Accept Applications and When Can I Start?
Applications are accepted continuously.
- Campus students can begin the program in August (preferred), January, or May.
- Online students can begin in August, October, January, March, or May.
- City Cohort students can begin in August or January.
What are the Admission Requirements?
The MPA program takes a holistic approach to the application review process. Your file is reviewed individually with equal consideration given to the quantitative and qualitative aspects of your record.
Admission requirements for unconditional admission include the following (but see below for other forms of admission).
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 based on the last 60 hours of course work as calculated by the UTA Graduate Admissions
- Strong Letters of Recommendation (3 required)
- Essay of approximately 250 words: Why do you want to earn a master's degree in the program for which you are applying and what relevant background and experience do you bring to the program?
- A preferred Verbal GRE score of 450 (Revised GRE Test: 150), Quantitative GRE of 450 (Revised GRE Test: 141), and combined Verbal and Quantitative score of 1,000 (Revised GRE Test Combined: 291) and a minimum GRE writing score of 4. Many applicants waive the GRE requirement based on various conditions
- Non-native English speakers only: TOEFL or IELTS scores TOEFL scores of at least 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (iBT) with sectional scores that meet or exceed 22 Writing, 21 Speaking, 20 Reading, and 16 Listening; or, IELTS score of at least 6.5.
Types of Admission Decisions
Once your application is complete, we do our best to get you an admission decision within a work week. Besides being an unconditional admit, there are two other common admissions: provisional and probationary. Both of these are quite common and you should not worry about lack of GRE scores or results below the admission standards preventing your admission.
- Probationary - If you do not meet all requirements for unconditional admission nevertheless may show promise for successful graduate study, you may be granted probationary admission.
- Provisional - If you are unable to supply all required documentation prior to the admission deadline but you otherwise appear to meet admission requirements, you may be granted provisional admission.
For example, someone with a solid GPA, letters of recommendation, but below GRE requirements are often admitted as a probationary student. Usually probationary students are given certain expectations to meet their first semester (GPA, sometimes particular classes, writing assistance/classes in the case of deficient GRE writing scores) and then moved to unconditional admission status. Provisional admissions are usually granted where GRE scores or letters of recommendation are not available.
- A 3.25 or higher undergraduate GPA based on the last 60 hours of course work AND at least three years professional non-profit or public service work experience (as judged by the MPA admission committee. Applicants should submit a supporting resume or other relevant documentation to the MPA Graduate Advisor, Karolyn Field)
- A completed graduate degree from an accredited program in a related field such as, but not exclusively, political science, economics, urban planning, social work, criminal justice, and sociology OR a 3.0 or better after 12 hours of coursework in the accredited graduate degree program.
- A completed UTA B.A. or B.S. with 3.0 or higher GPA
- An equivalent GMAT or LSAT score from an exam taken within the last two years preceding the time of application.
How Do I Apply?
There are two different application forms depending on whether you are interested in the campus or online program. We strongly suggest talking with Karolyn Field, the MPA Graduate Advisor (email@example.com; 817 272-3340) before selecting the best program for you. There is a $40 application fee ($90 if you include foreign coursework).
Apply for Campus Program: apply via the Apply Texas application site.
Apply for Online Program: contact our dedicated enrollment specialists at 866-489-2810 or complete the online application.
Other Material to be sent to UTA:
U.S. Transcripts: Official transcripts from all senior or four-year institutions are required. Official transcripts are those mailed directly to The University of Texas at Arlington Office of Admissions, Records and Registration by the Registrar of the institution of attendance OR official original "issued to student" transcript with the official university seal and signature of the Registrar of the institution of attendance. Official original "issued to student" transcripts may be mailed or hand-carried to the Office of Graduate Studies.
UTA Transcripts: The Office of Admissions, Records and Registration has access to UTA transcripts. Therefore, currently or previously enrolled UTA students do not need to request their UTA transcript be forwarded.
- Foreign Country Transcripts: Official foreign country transcripts or marksheets and diplomas are those bearing the original seal of the institution and the original signature of the Registrar or responsible head of the institution. Those not issued in English must be accompanied by an exact word-for-word original English translation bearing the original university or translation agency attestation. Upon written request original documents will be returned to the applicant.
- Send transcripts to:
Office of Admissions, Records and Registration
UTA Box 19167
701 S. Nedderman Dr.
Davis Hall, Room 129
Arlington, TX 76019
2. Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation may be emailed directly to the graduate advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org), faxed (Attn: Karoyln Field, 817.272.5008) or mailed to:
Karolyn Field, MPA Graduate Advisor
601 W. Nedderman Dr., Suite 203
Arlington, TX 76019
3. GRE, Other Test Scores
Official test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency. UTA’s ETA institutional code is 6013. Note you may be eligible for a 50% savings on the GRE, see the GRE Fee Reduction Program.
How Do I Know if I am Admitted?
You will be sent an application receipt email 5-10 business days after you submit your application. This email contains your NetID and instructions to activate your MyMav account. You can check your application status in MyMav at any time.
The Graduate Advisor will contact you as soon as we make an admission decision, usually within a week after receipt of all materials and help assist with enrollment and other questions as you begin the program.