The MPA program internship course (PAPP 5360) is waivable with at least one year professional public service work experience.
This 3 hour course is designed for students to complete a one semester internship in professional public service. There are no prerequisites that must be met before entering an internship or enrolling in PAPP 5360, therefore you can immediately begin an internship within their first semester and thereafter.
Internship openings are announced via the MPA student email listserv. If you need placement help, contact the MPA director at least one semester before course enrollment. Interns are placed in a variety of government and nonprofit organizations as well as private organizations engaged in public service activities. Nine students requested and were placed for AY17-18. Example placements include:
- Homeland Security, USCIS
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
- Vital Strategies (public health)
- El Paso County
- Park South, YMCA
- Texas Health and Human Services Commission
- City of Grand Prairie, Mayor's Office (Budgeting, Finance)
- Vancouver Police Department
- City of Harker Heights (planning and development)
PAPP 5360 can be waived by newly admitted students and current students with at least one year of professional public sector work experience. To request a waiver:
1. Submit an Internship Waiver Form to the Graduate Advisor (email@example.com) with a signature and all necessary student information
2. Attach a professional resume, illustrating at least one year of professional experience of public sector work
3. Once approval or denial decision is made, the student will then be notified as to whether or not the internship course will be waived.
Applying for Internship Credit
Internships must be approved by the program. You must submit an Internship Agreement Form describing the duties and hours with a signature from the sponsor before registration for internship credit. At the end of the internship, you must complete and submit an Internship Report on their experiences and the sponsor must complete and submit an Internship Performance Evaluation verifying the internship requirements have been met. Both these forms must be submitted to the MPA Director by the end of the semester in order to receive credit and a grade.