B.S Sungkyunkwan University, 2000
M.S. Sungkyunkwan University, 2002 (Chan-Mo Yu)
Ph.D. University of Minnesota, 2009 (Thomas R. Hoye)
Post Doctorate: University of Pennsylvania, 2009-2011 (Amos B. Smith)
The primary field of study in my group at UT Arlington is chemical synthesis and catalysis. We target to develop direct, more efficient, streamlined synthetic methods to synthesize transformative molecules with significant functions. In order to achieve the goal, our strategy is to rationally design transition-metal/ligand catalyst complexes, to understand the function of the catalysts, and to utilize them for developing catalytic reaction methods. Specific areas of interest include transition metal-catalyzed hydrofunctionalization and dehydrogenative functionalization of unsaturated C–C bonds, catalytic C–H and C– C bond functionalization, and direct cross-coupling reactions.
We are also engaged in synthesis of chemically and biologically significant molecules including natural and unnatural molecules. The target-oriented synthetic study not only provides planned synthetic target molecules, but also often reveals new, unprecedented interesting reactivity and selectivity. We hope to apply the lessons from discovery of new reaction methods and synthesis of bioactive molecules into therapeutic areas.
Finally, we are currently engaged in to provide a new approach to design, fabricate, and characterize new nano-materials for energy-related fields.
The Jeon laboratory at UT Arlington is working on the development of highly innovative and efficient synthetic methods and their functional applications.
- “Asymmetric Synthesis of Remote Quaternary Centers by Copper-Catalyzed Desymmetrization: An Enantioselective Total Synthesis of (+)-Mesembrine,” Bokka, A.; Mao, J.; Hartung, J.; Martinez, S.; Simanis, J.; Nam, K.; Jeon, J.;* Shen, X.* Org. Lett. 2018, 20, 5158–5162.
- "Near-Infrared Fluorescence Modulation of Refolded DNA Aptamer-Functionalized Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes for Optical Sensing," Lee, Kwan; Nojoomi, Amirali; Jeon, Junha; Lee, Chang Young; Yum, Kyungsuk* ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2018, ASAP. DOI: 10.1021/acsanm.8b01377.
- “Enhanced Thermophysical Properties via PAO-Superstructure,” Pournorouz, Z.; Mostafavi, A.; Pinto, A.; Bokka, A.; Jeon, J.; Shin, D.* Nanoscale Res. Lett. 2017, 12, 1-10.
- “Aryne Cycloaddition Reactions of Benzodioxasilines as Aryne Precursors Generated by Catalytic Reductive ortho-C–H Silylation of Phenols with Traceless Acetal Directing Groups,” Asgari, P.; Dakarapu, U. S.; Nguyen, H. H.; Jeon, J.* Tetrahedron 2017, ASAP. [Invited to Symposium-in-Print for Tetrahedron (New Advances in Pericyclic Reactions)].
- “Regio- and Stereoselective Dehydrogenative Silylation and Hydrosilylation of Vinylarenes Catalyzed by Ruthenium Alkylidenes,” Bokka, A.; Jeon, J.* Org. Lett. 2016, 18, 5324–5327.
- “Catalytic Reductive ortho-C–H Silylation of Phenols with Traceless, Versatile Acetal Directing Groups and Synthetic Applications of Dioxasilines,” Hua, Y.; Asgari, P.; Avullala, T.; Jeon, J.* J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 7982–7991.
- "Gold-Mediated Isomerization of Cyclooctyne to Ring-Fused Olefinic Bicycles," Das, A.; Hua, Y.; Yousufuddin, M.; Cundari, T. R.;* Jeon, J.;* Dias, H. V. R.* Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2016, 995-1001.
- “Lewis Base Activation of Silyl Acetals: Application to Reductive Horner-Wadsworth-Emmons Olefination,” Dakarapu, U. S.; Bokka, A.; Asgari, P.; Trog, G.; Hua, Y.; Nguyen, H. H.; Raman, N.; Jeon, J.* Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 5792-5795.
- “Mechanistic Insights into Grubbs-Type Ruthenium Complex-Catalyzed Intramolecular Alkene Hydrosilylation: Direct s-Bond Metathesis in the Initial Stage of Hydrosilylation,” Bokka, A.; Hua, Y.; Berlin, A. S.; Jeon, J.* ACS Catalysis 2015, 5, 3189−3195.
- “Modular Approach to Reductive Csp2–H and Csp3–H Silylation of Carboxylic Acid Derivatives through Single-Pot, Sequential Transition Metal Catalysis,” Hua, Y.; Jung, S.; Roh, J.; Jeon, J.* J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80, 4661-4671.
- “Reductive ortho-Silanolization of Aromatic Esters with Hydridosilyl Acetals,” Hua, Y.; Asgari, P.; Dakarapu, U. S.; Jeon, J.* Chem. Commun. 2015, 51, 3778-3781.
- “Rhodium-Catalyzed Alkene Hydrosilylation via a Hydride Shuttle Process by Diene Ligands: Dramatic Enhancement of Regio- and Diastereoselectivity,” Hua, Y; Nguyen, H.; Trog, G.; Berlin, A. S.; Jeon, J.* Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2014, 5890-5895.
- “Ligand-Controlled, Norbornene-Mediated, Regio- and Diastereoselective Rhodium-Catalyzed Intramolecular Alkene Hydrosilylation Reactions,” Hua, Y; Nguyen, H.; Scaggs, W. R.; Jeon, J.* Org. Lett. 2013, 15, 3412-3415.
- “Allylmalonate as an Activator Subunit for Initiation of Relay Ring-Closing Metathesis (RRCM) Reactions,” Hoye, T. R.*; Jeon, J.; Tennakoon, M. A. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 2141-2143.
- “Total Synthesis of Peloruside A through Kinetic Lactonization and Relay Ring-Closing Metathesis Cyclization Reactions,” Hoye, T. R.*; Jeon, J.; Kopel, L. C.; Ryba, T. D.; Tennakoon, M. A.; Wang, Y. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 6151-6155. PubMed PMID: 20645374.
- Hoye, T. R.*; Jeon, J. “Metathesis Involving a Relay and Applications in Natural Product Synthesis. In Metathesis in Natural Product Synthesis. Strategies, Substrates and Catalysts,” Cossy, J.; Arseniyadis, S.; Meyer, C. Eds.; Wiley-VCH: Weinheim, 2010, Chapter 9.
- “Sequencing of Three-Component Olefin Metatheses: Total Synthesis of Either (+)-Gigantecin or (+)-14-Deoxy-9-oxygigantecin,”Hoye, T. R.*; Eklov, B. M.; Jeon, J.; Khoroosi, M. Org. Lett. 2006, 8, 3383-3386.
- “Catalytic Asymmetric Allylic Transfer Reaction for the Enantioselective Synthesis of Dienyl and Enynyl Alcohol.” Yu, C.-M.*; Jeon, M.; Lee, J.-Y.; Jeon, J. Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2001, 1143-1148.
Complete List of Published Work in My Bibliography (via ncbi): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/junha.jeon.1/bibliography/48219556/public/?sort=date&direction=ascending
Outstanding Science Teaching Award for the College of Science (2017)
The President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching (2017)
American Chemical Society (ACS) Young Organic Investigator, Young Academic Investigators symposium for the Fall 2016 ACS meeting in Philadelphia (2016)
Excellence in Teaching Award, The National Society of Leadership and Success, Sigma Alpha Phi UTA (2015)
ACS PRF Doctoral New Investigator (2015)
Recipient of the Research Enhancement Proposal Grant of the UT Arlington (2014)
University of Minnesota, Department of Chemistry, Robert L. Ferm Outstanding Graduate TA Award (2005).
Korea Science and Engineering Foundation Pre-DoctoralGraduate Fellowship (2003).