Skip to content

Prospective Student FAQs

Where should I start?

You must first apply to The University of Texas at Arlington; you can check the Admissions website for more information. Once you are admitted, you should make an appointment with a College of Education advisor by calling 817-272-2956. In this appointment, we will fill out a degree plan, check your academic standing and go over an advising agreement. In the meantime, feel free to browse this website for information or e-mail an advisor with your general questions.

What are College of Education undergraduate admission requirements?

You can review Education program admission requirements here: admission requirements.

What certification areas do you offer?

You can view our certification areas here.

What is the difference between the certification levels?

EC-6 and Mid-Level students major in Education ("Education Intended") and will be advised only by an Education advisor. These students first work on their core and basic content courses before entering the Education program. The program itself is a two-year blocked cohort schedule of courses which only begins in the Fall semester (once a student begins the program, he/she is changed from "Education Intended" to "Interdisciplinary Studies) . You can view our degree plans for more information on required courses.

Secondary and All-Level students major in their content area and should first meet with their content advisor. When they are ready to begin their Education coursework, they should meet with an Education advisor. They will work with both these advisors to ensure they meet all the requirements for their degree and certification. You can read the Secondary/All-Level FAQs for more information.

Can I meet with an advisor to look at my transcripts?

You can give us a call at 817-272-2956 to schedule a prospective advising appointment. Please send unofficial transcripts from all colleges/universities you have attended so we can better assist you. We'd prefer they be sent at least 1 day prior to the scheduled appointment; however, if this is not possible, please arrive at least 15 minutes early to allow the advisor to prepare.

I have taken Education courses at another university. Will they transfer to UTA?

To be considered for use on your degree plan, transfer Education courses must be upper-level courses with earned grades of ‘B’ or better. You must research possible substitutions on your own. Compile course syllabi and descriptions of these potential substitutions and let the Education advisor know which courses you'd like to be reviewed. All decisions are made by Program faculty, Program Coordinators and/or Department Chair.

Can I get a second Bachelor’s in Education?

No. If you hold a Bachelor’s degree in any area, you must pursue teacher certification at the graduate level. The graduate advisors have their own advising portal which you can read for more information.