Skip to content
UTA Menu

Connect with UTA

College of Nursing and Health Innovation | The University of Texas at ArlingtonCollege of Nursing and Health Innovation | The University of Texas at Arlington


Touching Lives. Transforming Health Care.


Advising Options

Do students need to meet with an academic advisor? 
No; Academic Partnership students are required to submit a signed advising syllabus prior to enrolling in their first session of academic work.  Advising holds will be removed after this document is received by the College of Nursing and Health Innovation.  Information about advising procedures is listed on the College of Nursing and Health Innovation website, Advising page. Most advisement is handled via e-mail.  However, a student may schedule a phone or face-to-face appointment by calling 817-272-2776 during business hours and selecting option 2.

Program Information

Does UT Arlington’s College of Nursing and Health Innovation have a transition program from RN to MSN?
Yes; UT Arlington does offer an Accelerated Online  RN to MSN program for Registered Nurses with a diploma or associate’s degree and two years of professional nursing work experience (additional GPA criteria will apply). For additional information regarding the RN to MSN program, visit RN to MSN Degree.  Previous coursework completed in UTA’s RN to BSN program will make a student ineligible for the RN to MSN program. Please note, once a student has received acceptance into the RN-BSN program, they are no longer eligible to transition to the RN-MSN program.

What other RN to BSN programs does UT Arlington’s College of Nursing and Health Innovation offer?
In addition to the Accelerated Online  RN to BSN program, UT Arlington also offers the Campus-Based RN to BSN program.

Do all the graduate programs at UT Arlington require the BSN and two (2) years RN experience?
In order to attend graduate programs in nursing, a student must have completed a BSN. Two years clinical experience is strongly recommended for all programs.   UT Arlington’s Campus-Based graduate nursing programs options are as follows:
Master of Science in Nursing: Many options available; visit the MSN website.  
Doctoral Options: Two options are available:

How long is the online program?
In total, 120 credit hours are needed to complete the RN to BSN degree at UTA.  Twenty eight credit hours from the Associate degree are applied to the RN-BSN degree plan. There are a total of 57 prerequisite general education credit hours, including the upper-division elective.  Additionally, upper-division nursing courses, including the upper-division nursing elective, total to 35 credit hours.

Each student will have an individualized degree plan determined by the number of transfer credit hours accepted.  It takes a minimum 13 months to complete the upper-division nursing program following the recommended course load.

How does a student map out degree requirements?
The RN to BSN program is designed to be flexible and there is no one correct way to progress through the program. The link below is our suggested course load. We do not recommend students take more than the suggested course load.  Please note that students are allowed to take two nursing courses concurrently (excluding NURS 3345 and NURS 4685), however, this is not recommended for most students

How many credit hours must be taken each semester to be considered full time?
Students must enroll in at least 12 credit hours each semester in order to be considered a full time student.

What is the difference between an academic semester and session?
Spring, summer, and fall are considered academic semesters.  Online courses are offered on several start dates, or sessions, during each semester. 

What is the difference between a nursing and general education course?
Nursing courses are offered in 5 week sessions (exception: NURS 4685 is offered in a 7 week session).  General education courses are offered in 8 week sessions (exception: MATH 1301/1302 and MATH 1308 are also offered in a 15 week format at the beginning of each semester).

Can students work while in the nursing program?
Yes; many RN to BSN students are full and part time working nurses. 

Prerequisites, Transfer Credit, & Academic Standing

Is there a time limit on any prerequisite nursing or general education courses?
There is no time limit on courses accepted for the RN to BSN degree plan. 

Can prerequisites be waived because of a previous degree or nursing work experience?
No; a previous degree or prior RN work experience does not waive or exclude missing prerequisite coursework. UT Arlington’s Office of Admissions evaluates coursework from submitted official transcripts. The College of Nursing and Health Innovation and Health Innovation applies the transferred credit to the required lower-division prerequisites as appropriate.

What do students need to know about the Texas Success Initiative (TSI)?
The Texas Success Initiative (TSI) has been developed by the state legislature to ensure student success at institutions of higher education.

To have the TSI Liable hold removed, contact the TSI Advisor at

Can a student CLEP out of prerequisites?
Yes; visit the testing website for further information about credit by examination. Course credit offered by UT Arlington’s testing office that is eligible to be claimed will be accepted by the College of Nursing and Health Innovation and Health Innovation in fulfillment of the prerequisite courses, such as: English, Government, History, Psychology, and Sociology.

Can a national certification be used for an upper-division elective?
Yes; if you have a nationally recognized nursing certification it may take the place of the nursing upper-division elective if approved by the coordinator. Examples of approved certifications include: CCRN (Critical Care Registered Nurse), CEN (Certified Emergency Nurse), Certified Medical-Surgical Nurse, or Certified Obstetric Nurse. If you have a certification please submit a copy to Sandra Golightly via email at for approval. 

Examples of several unapproved certifications include: PALS, ACLS, and TNCC.

Do all prerequisite general education courses need to be completed before applying? 
No; prerequisite general education courses may be taken along with nursing courses.  However, students must complete English Composition I, Composition II, and Technical Writing before enrolling in Professional Nursing.  Students are permitted to take Technical Writing and Professional Nursing simultaneously.  Statistics is a prerequisite requirement for Nursing Research.

Are all courses offered online at UTA?
Yes; UT Arlington offers all degree requirements online.

Must I be connected to the Internet to complete the courses?
Yes; Internet access is required to download an individual course and online readings onto a computer and to submit and receive feedback on assignments, assessments and participate in online discussions.

Campus-Based courses use the internet and the Blackboard system to varying degrees depending on Instructor preference and course structure. Blackboard System Requirements are as follows:

Internet Connection
A stable DSL, cable or satellite connection is required to use Blackboard. Direct connections to the router are preferred over wireless or satellite connections.

These are the minimum system requirements for using Blackboard

  • 1G RAM
  • 166 MHz processor/508 Power PC
  • screen resolution of 600×800
  • Broadband internet connection
  • Windows XP or higher or
  • Mac OS 10.5 or higher

Use the browser test which detects which programs work and which need to be updated.
*Other software may be required for various courses*

Visit Blackboard’s list of Supported Browsers and Operating Systems.

Regular monitoring of your UT Arlington Mavs e-mail address is required. The Mavs e-mail address is the official means of communication and information regarding your coursework, degree, and correspondence.

Are transfer credits accepted? 
Yes; if the credits are accepted by UT Arlington’s Office of Admissions and fulfill the College of Nursing and Health Innovation and Health Innovation lower-division prerequisite requirements. Visit our Equivalency Charts regarding how pre-approved credit transfers in from other institutions.

All transfer courses must have a grade of “C” or higher in order to receive credit.

Are grades from transfer credit looked at in the admission process?
Yes; while UT Arlington does not use transferred grades to calculate the overall GPA, the College of Nursing and Health Innovation does use transferred grades for admission into the program.  Students must have a 2.5 GPA in order to begin nursing courses.  However, students that do not meet the minimum GPA requirement are permitted to take prerequisite general education courses in order to attain a 2.5 GPA.

What courses count towards overall GPA for the BSN degree?
Only courses taken at UT Arlington will apply to a student’s GPA for the BSN degree.  Transfer credits will not be used for a student’s GPA.

What if a student has already completed part of a RN to BSN program at another institution?
A transfer nursing student must submit official course syllabi to the Assistant Dean for all upper-division nursing courses they wish to appeal for course credit.  Introduction to Professional Nursing and Capstone must be taken at UT Arlington. 

All students must complete 30 residency credit hours at UTA in order to receive their BSN.

Why would the Degree Progress Report/UMAP on MyMav appear to be incorrect?
If utilizing the Degree Progress Report/UMAP on the MyMav system, note it is not updated with transfer coursework until a UT Arlington graduation application has been submitted and processed.  In the meantime, use the degree plan provided by your Academic Advisor.

What is the progression policy?
RN to BSN students are permitted to fail up to two nursing courses and remain in the program.  If students fail three nursing courses they will be dismissed from the program.

How does UT Arlington academic probation and suspension work?
While it is anticipated that each student will succeed in taking the required lower-division prerequisite courses, sometimes this is not the case.  Students are expected to adhere to both UT Arlington Undergraduate Catalog policies and the College of Nursing and Health Innovation policies. It is imperative that every UT Arlington student reads, understands and complies with the required academic standards. 

With respect to academic probation, visit Undergraduate Catalog Academic Regulations section.

RN to BSN Application & Admission Processes

Where is the RN to BSN application located?
Apply and submit official transcripts from courses taken at outside institutions to the Office of Admissions and Records.  Admission to UT Arlington is dependent on receipt of all official transcripts from outside institutions.  Allow at least four weeks for the admission process. 

What is Provisional Admittance?
Provisional admittance allows students to register for courses while waiting for their official transcripts to arrive and be processed by UT Arlington. More information is available at

Does acceptance into UT Arlington mean a student is accepted into the College of Nursing and Health Innovation?
No; although there is only one application, students must go through a three step process after they submit their official application with the university.

  • Step One:  The Office of Admissions will notify applicants once all required documents have been received. 
  • Step Two:  An official transcript evaluation is conducted by the Office of Admissions after all official transcripts are submitted—course credits will be visible under “Transfer Credit Report” in the MyMav Student Center. Students will be notified via their UTA student email that the Transfer Credit Evaluation has been completed. The completion of this process does not indicate that you have been accepted into the College of Nursing and Health Innovation.
  • Step Three: After steps one and two are complete, all intended students are sent to the College of Nursing and Health Innovation (in the order in which they are received) for final application processing and acceptance into the RN to BSN program.

What is provisional status?
Students who have earned an Associate’s Degree in Nursing from a regionally accredited US institution may select provisional admittance when applying to UT Arlington. Students under provisional admittance are permitted to enroll and begin classes (ENGL 1301, ENGL 1302, Technical Writing, and Professional Nursing) while waiting for their transcripts to arrive and their file to be processed.  Provisional admittance indicates that a student’s application has NOT been evaluated by the College of Nursing and Health Innovation for acceptance.  Once all transcripts are evaluated by the Admissions Office, students granted provisional admittance will be added to an evaluation list processed by the College.  They will receive a status letter with all program information needed after they have been fully evaluated by the College of Nursing and Health Innovation.

What is considered an inactive student?
Students have three semesters, which includes the admit term, to enroll before the account becomes inactive. If a student does not enroll, the account becomes inactive.

What forms are required for accepted applicants?
Students will be required to submit their RN license during the Professional Nursing course, NURS 3345.

Can RN to BSN applicants apply to both versions of the nursing program?
No; however, a student is permitted to switch to the campus program one time.  Campus students will not be permitted to switch to the online program once they have enrolled in courses.

How often does the College of Nursing and Health Innovation accept applicants to the upper-division nursing program?
The Accelerated Online RN to BSN program continually admits students throughout the year. Visit the Undergraduate Calendar for a list of available start dates.

If the TOEFL is required, what are the minimum score requirements?
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for the College of Nursing and Health Innovation is more stringent than for UT Arlington. Visit the College of Nursing and Health Innovation Policies, English Language Requirement and speak to your Academic Advisor. A high school diploma and/or a bachelor’s degree or higher earned in the United States exempts the TOEFL requirement.

Tuition & Financial Aid

What other costs besides tuition will I have?

The following are fees that may change, unrelated to a student’s set tuition cost:

  • Books and required online resources
  • Proctored Exam Expenses:

MATH 1302:  For three chapter tests and the final, Proctor U is required to be used at the student’s expense.  If local in the DFW metroplex, UTA offers the testing service free of charge. Additional information is provided in Blackboard.
Math 1308:  Beginning in the fall 2014 term, Statistics will also require a proctored exam using either Proctor U or UTA.

  • Personal webcams will be required in order to take online proctored tests.
  • National certifications used to satisfy an upper division elective require a fee in order to be added to a student’s account.

At the conclusion of the program, expect a graduation fee.

What about financial aid and scholarships?
Visit Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, or to speak with a Financial Aid Counselor call 817-272-3561.

Accelerated Online RN to BSN Program Information

What is the official website for the AP BSN Program?
The Accelerated Online RN to BSN website.

Additional information about the Accelerated Online RN to BSN Program can be found on the UT Arlington College of Nursing and Health Innovation website.

Is an online program right for me?
All nursing lower-division prerequisite and upper-division nursing courses are taught in the online format. To determine if this format is the best fit, visit Is Online Right for Me? Contact your assigned Academic Advisor to discuss this issue further. 

What is the difference between an Enrollment Specialist and an Academic Advisor?
Enrollment Specialists serve as a concierge for students interested in pursuing the AP RN to BSN program.  Their goal is to assist students in navigating the application, admission, and enrollment process.  Enrollment Specialists are assigned to students when they express interest in the program and Enrollment Specialists typically follow up with students on the same day!
Contact Enrollment Specialists for:

  • general information about the program
  • application instructions
  • registration instructions
  • if not sure who to contact

Responsibilities in the academic advising process by UT Arlington’s College of Nursing and Health Innovation Academic Advisors include:

  • Provide a safe, respectful and confidential space to ask questions and discuss concerns
  • Assist students in making decisions regarding their degree plan, registration in courses, and application to the nursing program
  • Encourage students to move forward in their personal and professional development
  • Provide resources and referrals to other campus offices as needed
  • Understand and effectively communicate UT Arlington and College of Nursing and Health Innovation policies and procedures

Do Accelerated Online RN to BSN students have to come to campus for any reason?
No; all advising and instruction is conducted online through email, Blackboard, and MyMav. However, a student may schedule a phone or face-to-face appointment by calling 817-272-2776 during business hours and selecting option 2. 

Students have the option to attend the Commencement Ceremony on-campus during graduation.