Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.

College of Engineering Coronavirus Information

The safety of students, faculty and staff is the University's and the College of Engineering's top priority at this unprecedented time. In that spirit, here is information likely to be of particular interest to the College of Engineering community:

College and Department Contact Information

Information for International Students

  • A UTA student did test positive for COVID-19. All potentially impacted persons were notified prior to March 15 and are working with Tarrant County Health Officials. Health officials are contacting people in the student’s circle of influence so if you have not been contacted, it is reasonable to assume that you were not in proximity to this student.

  • All functions of the College are expected to continue, including its most important function, the instruction of our students. Students can expect to be contacted by their instructors regarding classes. If you are not contacted by your instructor by the evening of Tuesday, March 24, please phone the designated contact person in your department on the list below. For other matters, including advising, contact information for communication with faculty and staff is posted below.

  • Ph.D. program operations will continue as before but will be adapted to a virtual environment. All Ph.D. courses will be taught with the aid of technology. Students will continue to schedule and defend dissertations and proposals using whatever technology committee members, students and dissertation chairs agree is the best option for all parties. Faculty supervisors and Dr. Erick Jones will support Ph.D. students as they normally would while working remotely.

  • Special Role of GTAs, GRAs and Graders: Research students who usually work in their offices are asked to continue their research at their place of residence with email discussions with faculty members on progress. GTAs, GRAs and graders, as far as possible, should be working productively off campus. However if a GRA is involved in experiments that require on-campus attention, it may be an activity that can be safely accomplished on a very limited basis in a research lab while practicing social distancing. The supervising professor will monitor activities closely to ensure safety, particularly ensuring that students are not in a lab alone.

    GTAs and graders may be asked, but cannot be forced, to assist in the teaching and instruction activity on campus on a very limited basis. Care must be taken to ensure that this is a socially distancing activity. They can of course grade and help instruction online from their place of residence, assuming appropriate computer access, as overseen by the supervising professor.

  • Student organizations are asked to either cancel meetings or to use online options.

The following is a list of phone contacts to help answer your questions in your respective departments:

College and Department Contact Information

Dean of Engineering Office or 817-272-2571

Engineering Student Services


Undergraduate Probation and Conditionally Admitted Students:

Lynne Kinnan and PJ Bukowski:

Undergraduate Co-Ops, Internships and Curricular Practical Training:

Carole Coleman:

Engineering Online:

Donya Randolph Henry:


Alicia Gill: or 817-272-2965

Civil Engineering

General questions:

Dr. Ali Abolmaali: 817-272-3877

Civil Engineering Undergraduate Advising:

Dr. Srinivas Prabakar: 817-272-7590

Architectural Engineering Program Undergraduate Advising:

Jamie Thompson: 817-272-3761

Construction Management Program Undergraduate Advising:

Bijan Shapoorian: 817-272-9750

Civil Engineering and Construction Management Graduate Programs Advising:

Dr. Gautam Eapi: 817-272-3760

Dr. Ernest Crosby: 817-272-3500

Irma Dodd: 817-272-2201

Computer Science and Engineering

General questions or to forward calls to specific faculty or staff:

817-272-3785 (will be answered at any time during office hours by someone on duty)

Undergraduate student contacts:

Melissa Rose: (817-272-7229 on Fridays)

Katy A. Pedone: (817-272-9767 on Fridays)

Graduate student contacts:

Sha’Londa Towns: or 817-272-6785

Erika Harvey: or 817-272-3785

Ginger Dickens: or 817-272-3619

Electrical Engineering

General questions:

Cheryl Bailey: or 817-272-3934

Undergraduate advising:

Pauline Mason: or 817-272-1756

Master's advising:

Janice Moore: or 817-272-2671

Doctoral advising:

Gail Paniuski: or 817-272-5721

Industrial, Manufacturing and Systems Engineering

General questions:

IMSE Office: 817-272-3092

Undergraduate Advising:

Eric Etheridge:

Master's Advising:

Last name begins with A-M: Sandra Williams

Last name begins with N-Z: Kimetha Williams

Doctoral Advising:

Dr. Victoria Chen:

Materials Science and Engineering

General questions:

Dr. Choongun Kim: 817-272-5497

CCMB questions:

Dr. Jiechao Jiang: 817-272-0841

Graduate Advising:

Dr. Seongjin Koh (graduate advisor):

Lashonda Davis: 817-272-2398

Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering

Undergraduate Advising:

Danette Stille: 817-272-2561

Graduate Advising:

Wendy Ryan: 817-272-2563

Information for International Students

As you have recently been informed, the university will be delivering academic instruction solely on-line through the end of the spring 2020 semester. In accordance with this guidance, the Office of International Education is no longer providing in-person services. As a result of this decision, we recognize that you may have many questions. The following information from OIE may be helpful. Information is also available at

Campus Housing

All students living in a residence hall on campus are required to move back to their permanent residence for the remainder of the semester. Students impacted by residential housing guidelines have been contacted directly. If you live in an on-campus apartment, you are not required to move out. If you have questions related to housing or apartment leases, please contact

Maintaining Status

This is important information about maintaining valid F-1 or J-1 status. While online coursework is normally limited for International Students, those restrictions have been temporarily lifted. Because the University is offering courses online only for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester, those courses can be used towards maintaining your fulltime enrollment requirement. International students must be enrolled and complete 12 credit hours for Undergraduates and 9 credit hours for Graduate students. If you have an approved less than full course waiver, you will need to maintain enrollment for the number of hours approved on the waiver.


Because we are not currently providing in-person services, International students should send their questions or a request for phone advising to

Submitting Requests

During this time all document requests should be submitted through email to Request forms are located at the OIE forms page. The completed form should be attached as a pdf to the email. Please include your name and student ID in the subject line. Document processing time will continue to be 7 to 10 business days for all requests.

OPT Documents

Until further notice ISSS will no longer be able to offer the service of checking documents for OPT applications. Before we create the I-20 for OPT, we will have checked the I-765 form carefully, and will continue to make suggestions for that form through a detailed checklist provided to each applicant. Detailed instructions for the 12 month OPT application can be found here.

Document Shipping

OIE will accept document shipment requests from students via eShipGlobal in order for our students to receive documents during the time our office is closed for visits.  We are able to provide free 3-day Priority Shipping via FedEx.


If you choose to depart from the United States, but remain enrolled fulltime, your SEVIS I-20 record will remain active. Please note, depending on how this situation evolves, you should check the current entry requirements of each country included on your travel itinerary. If you are graduating in May, have an OPT application pending, or other immigration application pending e.g. Reinstatement or Change of Status, we strongly encourage you not to travel.

It is also important to know that you do not need a valid travel signature on your I-20 in order to leave the United States. However, before you return to the U.S., please complete the travel request form. Once your request has been approved, please complete the e-ship global form and your document will be mailed to you.

Before requesting a new travel endorsement signature, please check your most recently issued I-20. Travel signatures for current students are valid for one year. If you already have a signature that will still be valid on your planned return date, please do not request a reprint. If you are currently on OPT, the travel signature is valid for 6 months.

For additional information on the Immigration, Customs, and Enforcement response to the Coronavirus go to