Skip to content

Student Worker

Student Employment

Work-study benefits

The University of Texas at Arlington strongly emphasizes the Federal Work-Study program (FWS) for the following reasons:

  • FWS helps fund a portion of educational expenses for students and reduces reliance on student loans.
  • It enables both graduate and undergraduate students to work part-time to develop valuable skills that will enhance their education and benefit them in their career planning. 
  • FWS employers are flexible with scheduling so students can keep their education their main priority. 

Eligibility and process

  • You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and show financial need in order to qualify for the Federal Work-Study Program. 
  • Eligible students may work up to 19 hours per week at a work study position.
  • The offered amount on your financial aid notification is the maximum you can earn per semester.
  • Earnings are paid directly to you rather than through your student account, and you are paid twice per month for your work.
  • FWS is offered on a first come, first served basis. Contact us if you are interested in obtaining a work-study position to see if you qualify for funding.

How to apply for jobs

Receiving a FWS offer is not a guarantee of employment. Additionally, if you do not qualify for FWS or do not receive an offer, you can still apply for jobs both on and off-campus that are non-work study positions.

  • To apply for work-study and non-work study student employment on and off-campus, visit the Handshake website.

Check out this helpful infographic for tips on how to find a Work Study job using Handshake.

Work-Study eligibility form

Once you are hired for a FWS position, your employer will need your "Work-Study Eligibility Form." The form becomes available on your MyMav account 10 days prior to the start of the term.

Follow these instructions to download your work-study eligibility form:

  • Log into your MyMav account
  • Click on the Financial Aid tile
  • Choose the correct aid year
  • Click on the Work-Study Eligibility tab
  • Click on the Work-Study Eligibility form link
  • To print the form, click on the ‘Printable form’ button
  • Submit the completed form to your employer