Skip to main content

Storm Assistance and Resources

Last week Texans experienced a weather event that impacted many of our employees. We know that many of you may be dealing with issues surrounding your homes and livelihood as a result. We are appreciative to the State of Texas for working around the clock to provide the resources, assistance, and support to our communities. To provide some assistance, the UT System compiled links to community response and recovery resources you may find helpful. 

Federal assistance may be available to assist with damage caused by the winter storms. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides information and guidance for filing claims:
The IRS has announced that Texans affected by the winter storms may be able to postpone certain tax-filing and tax-payment deadlines:
The SBA provides low-interest disaster loans to help businesses and homeowners recover from declared disasters:


We especially want to thank those employees who came in to ensure our facilities and students were safe and warm during this time. We recognized that due to the university’s closure, you may have questions related to how to properly code time sheets for inclement weather. Please refer to the timekeeping section of the Inclement Weather and Campus Emergency (CO-CS-PR13). The following clarifies some of the frequently asked questions:

a. Student workers paid hourly should only be paid for actual hours worked. They can work with their supervisor to see if they can make up any hours missed.
b. Hours worked during the week should be entered into the timesheet. The balance of hours which were not worked should be entered as “Other Absence Paid” for inclement weather leave.
c. If you have employees that are essential employees and they worked the entire week, then you will process their timesheets as normal – including overtime hours. Please keep in mind that overtime will only accrue after an employee physically works more than 40 hours during a workweek (Monday-Sunday).


Please contact your HR Business Partner if you have any other questions.