STEM OPT Mailing Instructions
IMPORTANT: USCIS must receive your application before the end date of your 12 month OPT period. USCIS must also receive your application within 60 days of the date your OPT I-20 was issued.
- Assemble the STEM OPT Application Packet in the following order:
- G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance (Optional)
- 2 color photographs: white background, taken within the last 30 days, printed on thin, glossy paper and un-retouched; standard, full frontal face position. The head should be bare, unless wearing a headdress is required by a religious order to which you belong. Photo size 2 X 2 inches, with the distance from the top of the head to just below the chin about 1 3/8 inches. Lightly print your name and your I-94 number on the back of each photo with a pencil. Paperclip photos to the bottom left corner of the I-765.
- Check for $410, payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Paperclip your check on the top left corner of the I-765.
- Original I-765 form
- Copy of STEM OPT I-20 (signed by you and a DSO), pages 1 and 2. OPT I-20 must be less than 60 days old when received by USCIS.
- Copy of passport ID page showing picture and expiration date
- Copy of I-94, front and back (Include FIN# copy if subject to Special Registration)
- Copy of any former EADs (including previous OPT cards)
- Copy of official transcript
- Job offer letter from e-verified company
- If you have had a change of status, include a copy of your approval notice. Also include a copy of the I-94 from the last date you entered the U.S
We recommend that you make a copy of the completed application for your records.
- Email Delivery Receipt:
USCIS now provides the option for you to receive an e-mail and/or text message notifying you that your application has been received. To access this service, complete an E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance (Form G-1145), and attach it to the first page of your application. If you do not use the email notification system, it is recommended that the OPT application be sent to USCIS by Certified Mail.
- Mail the application:
- OIE highly recommends using some form of delivery tracking in order to provide you with confirmation of the delivery date to USCIS prior to receiving the USCIS receipt notice.
- We have been seeing delays in receipt notice processing lately, and a confirmation from the delivery service will allow you to verify that the package was delivered in a timely manner.
- US Postal Service (Regular Mail) Deliveries:
P.O. Box 805373
Chicago, IL 60680
- For USPS Express Mail, USPS Priority Mail and Private Courier (FedEx, UPS, DHL) Deliveries:
Attn: I-765 C03
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517
OIE normally receives a receipt notice from USCIS 2-3 weeks after you mail out an application. USCIS is currently experiencing significant delays issuing receipt notices and may take up to 4-6 weeks to be generated. The receipt notice contains the tracking number for your application.
To track the process of your application online, go to the USCIS portal and follow the prompts in the section called “After I File.” Normal processing time at USCIS is 60-90 days from the date on the receipt notice. After the application has been approved, it usually takes up to 2 weeks for the card to arrive.
If you have a specific question about the application process, please contact us following the procedure found here.