Change of Status » B-2 to F-1
A change of non-immigrant status from B-2 to F-1 may be requested when the applicant:
- Has been accepted for admission to UT Arlington. Please note that students are not allowed to enroll in an academic program at UT Arlington while in B-2 status.
- Is in possession of a valid Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure card in the passport).
- Has been in the U.S. for more than 90 days. (Change of status from B-2 to F-1 is possible before 90 days only if the visa officer has indicated "Prospective Student" on the B-2 visa.)
Consultation with an International Education Advisor during advising hours is recommended to verify eligibility.
To begin the process of changing status, turn in the following documents to the Office of International Education:
- USCIS form: I-539
- Change of Status form
- USCIS Fee:A money order or check for $455 payable to USCIS ($370 filing fee, $85 biometrics service fee). There is an additional $85 biometrics fee for each additional person included in the application.
- I-94: Copy of both sides of applicant's I-94. If you have a dependent or dependents in B-2 status, include copies of both sides of their I-94, as well.
- Passport: Copy of identity page, which indicates the expiration date.
- Visa: Copy of B-2 visa.
- Funding: It is necessary to show sufficient funds for the first year of study.
Normal processing time may take up to 7-10 business days. When the I-20 is ready, an International Education Advisor will contact you to set an appointment. At the appointment, you will:
- Sign your new SEVIS I-20.
- Provide any additional documentation requested by the International Education Advisor.
- Ask any questions you may have about the Change of Status process.
- Pay the SEVIS fee
After the appointment, the International Education Advisor will mail the Change of Status application to USCIS for adjudication. Processing time at USCIS can be lengthy and unpredictable. Students will be notified when their documents have been returned.
- Dependents in B-2 status do not need to file a separate application, but they must be noted on the addendum sheet of Form I-539.
- If you leave the U.S. and intend to reenter in F-1 status, you must request an F-1 visa at the U.S. Consulate before you return to the U.S.
- Eligibility to enroll at UT-Arlington and for on-campus employment begins upon receipt of the approved Change of Status.