Spring 2020 Dissertation Support
Because of the campus shut down due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the UTA Writing Center is asking that students who will be submitting their dissertation sections for review to please be aware of the requirements and changes to our current program:
- Dissertators can submit a section of their dissertation (up to 40 single-spaced pages) to be reviewed by our Executive Staff of graduate writing consultants.
- With each submission, our writing consultants will assist with matters of clarity, organization, style, and citation of sources, along with recognizing grammar and punctuation patterns that the writer should address in the draft. In other words, consultants will not edit or proofread submissions, but they will offer writing/revision advice along with other resources in the final stages of the dissertating process.
- A comprehensive review with comments will be completed and returned to the student in 7-10 days. Students will be notified the Writing Center Director or our graduate consultant if more time is necessary to comment on the submission. After the submission is returned, the dissertation writer can make a follow-up online appointment with an Executive Staff member in order to discuss the draft comments, establish a revision plan, and set up a submission date for the next section of the dissertation to be reviewed.
- Please note: for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester, students must now submit their dissertation sections to UTA-WCI@uta.edu along with the following required information:
- Student Name
- UTA Email
- Phone Number
- College or School
- Specific Program
- Number of Pages
- Specific Concerns/Needs
- Attached dissertation section
The deadline for dissertation submissions will be May 1st, 2020. This will allow our Executive Staff ample time to complete the submissions before classes end.
Also, the Writing Center will be offering online sessions with our Executive Staff members beginning March 30th. These consultants will be listed by name on our scheduling system along with the “Grads Only” signifier. These will be regular consultation sessions in which the consultants can assist graduate students with any part of the invention, writing, or revising processes. Graduate students can make either 30- or 60-minute appointments for these sessions. Please understand that the Grads Only consultants will not edit student work, but they will offer writing/revision advice.
If you have any questions concerning any of these services, please contact the Writing Center Director, Dr. Michael Brittain, at email@example.com.