Revision Date: 05 May 2014
Errors or changes to: email@example.com
This procedure designates who is responsible for approving overtime and assuring that a department has sufficient funds available to fully cover the costs associated with overtime. The method for processing payments to employees for overtime worked and which groups of university employees who may not earn overtime are covered in this procedure.
This procedure applies to all University departments and those responsible for the authorization and payment of overtime worked.
University Department Chairs, Directors and Account Managers
Authorize overtime payments within their department
Ensure that sufficient funds are available within the departmental budget to fully cover the costs associated with overtime payments including the added staff benefits costs where applicable
Initiate and approve any department overtime
Section I. Approval
- Work study student employees are not allowed to work over 19 hours in a work week and cannot earn overtime.
- Nonexempt employees are entitled to overtime (time and one-half) for any week in which the employee actually works in excess of 40 hours. The department has the option of paying for overtime hours or requiring the employee to take time off at one and one-half times the number of overtime hours worked.
- For detailed information concerning employee overtime, please see Overtime (Procedure 3-64).
Section II. Payment Process
- Departments must complete a Departmental Payroll Voucher (Form 1-1) to pay overtime and submit to Payroll Services by Payroll Processing Dates. See Departmental Payroll Vouchers (Procedure 1-12).
- Overtime payments will be processed on the employee's regular pay cycle. For monthly employees, overtime earned and reported before the payroll cut off date will be included on their regular monthly check. Overtime earned after the payroll cut off date will be reported and included on their next monthly pay.
Forms and Tools/Online Processes
- Departmental Payroll Voucher (Form 1-1)
Overtime: Overtime is all authorized time worked by an employee that is in excess of forty hours a week. Overtime is computed on actual hours worked and any paid leave time is not counted as hours worked for the purpose of computing overtime. For more information concerning employee overtime, please see Overtime (Procedure 3-64).
It is the policy of The University of Texas at Arlington to organize and schedule its activities in such a manner that an employee shall not be required to work in excess of the established work week, except when occasional operating necessities demand. Prior approval must be obtained from immediate supervisor and/or department head before overtime may be worked. Moreover, payments to an employee for overtime worked must be approved by a university department's chair, director or cost center manager. Last, each manager must ensure that sufficient funds are available within the departmental budget to fully cover the costs associated with overtime payments including the added staff benefits costs where applicable.
Related Statutes, Policies, Requirements or Standards
|UT System Administration Policies and Standards||Other Policies and Standards|
|Overtime (Procedure 3-64)|
If you have any questions about Procedure 1-15, Overtime Requests and Payments to Employees, please contact the following departments:
|Subject||Office Name||Telephone Number||Email/URL|
|All topics in Procedure||Payroll Services||(817) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Website access||Administrative Information Management||(817) email@example.com|