Procedure 2-89-2

Transportation Options in Travel Status [On 8-13-2016]

Responsible Officer: Chief Financial Officer and Vice President

Sponsoring Department: Procurement Services

Revision Date: 17 August 2018

Errors or changes to:

Procedure Objective

Procedure 2-89-2 details what rules and processes to follow when booking transportation or seeking reimbursement for transportation when traveling on university business. The forms of transportation discussed in this procedure include: air travel, personally owned motor vehicles, university-owned vehicles, and rental cars. Also, information about fares for parking, taxi, bus, subway, tolls, trains, or parking meters is included. This procedure does not apply for any transportation when UTA employees or students are traveling for personal reasons with personal funds.


A UTA employee or student traveling by rented or public conveyance is entitled to a transportation reimbursement equal to the actual cost of necessary transportation for performing official university business. Original receipts are required.


All UTA employees or students using transportation when traveling for UTA business.

Website Address For This Procedure

Related Statutes, Policies, Requirements or Standards

UT System Administration Policies and StandardsOther Policies and Standards
Texas Travel Regulations Act Chapter 660 of Texas Government Code

Texas Administrative Code, Title 34, Part 1, Chapter 5, Subchapter C, Section 5.22, State of Texas Travel Guidance

Use of University-Owned Vehicles (HOP ADM 5-303)

Motor Vehicles (Procedure 2-48)

Meals, Lodging, Incidental Expenses and Other Fees for Travel for State Appropriated and Local Funds(Procedure 2-86-2)

Travel Services (Procedure 2-81-2)


If you have any questions about this procedure, contact the following departments:

SubjectOffice NameTelephone NumberEmail/URL
All topics in procedureProcurement
Errors or changes report and website accessBusiness Affairs Technology Services817-272-0222


Actual Expense: Expenses that are reasonable and appropriate to the circumstance. Personal expenses are not included.

Designated Headquarters: The area within a 25-mile radius of the city in which a state employee's place of employment is located.

Personal Expenses: Expenses that benefit the employee or spender only and do not benefit the university either directly or indirectly. Also, includes inappropriate or excessive expenses that appear to be university related.

Expense Report: This document is used in UT Share to reimburse business travel expenses. The expense report is used to provide a detailed record of the travel expenses as well as identify the nature of the business conducted.


The Traveler
  • Prepares, or delegates a university employee, to prepare the expense report when seeking reimbursement for transportation costs
  • Uses the university's contracted travel agencies (unless an exception is granted by the Associate Vice President for Business Affairs and Controller, or designee) when booking airfare for university business
  • Keeps necessary original receipts when traveling
  • Attaches necessary original receipts, itinerary, or other supporting documentation when submitting an Expense Report
  • Ensures that each travel arrangement is the most cost effective considering all relevant circumstances
Associate Vice President for Business Affairs and Controller (or designee)
  • Reviews all exception requests related to this procedure



Section I. Air Travel

Travelers are required to use the university's contracted travel agencies, Corporate Travel Planners (CTP) or Anthony Travel, Inc (ATI). Airfare will be charged to the Corporate Business Account (CBA) which is billed directly to the traveler's university account. For more information about how to book airfare through these travel agencies see Travel Services (Procedure 2-81-2).

All airfare travel must be planned and conducted to achieve maximum economy and efficiency considering all relevant circumstances while complying with the guidelines set forth in this Procedure. The contracted travel agencies, Corporate Travel Planners (CTP) or Anthony Travel, Inc. (ATI) and approved online booking tool (Concur) will assist travelers and confirm the best possible airfare based on contracted pricing and individual travel needs.

If an exception is granted by the Associate Vice President for Business Affairs and Controller to not use one of the university's travel agencies, the following procedures will apply. Receipts for airfare, including ticketless air travel, are required. When booking airfare online, use the view/print receipt page for proof of payment. The booking page is not a receipt. If the airline receipt is not available, proof of airline transportation will be accepted as outlined below:

  • A copy of the airline ticket along with a certification statement signed by the department head explaining why the original ticket was not available.
  • If neither the actual ticket nor a copy is available, then the travel agency invoice (itinerary) along with a certification statement explaining why the ticket or a copy was not available must be submitted. Also proof of payment must be shown.
  • If the employee is unable to provide proof pursuant to sections 1 or 2 above, then a credit card receipt along with a certification statement explaining why the ticket or copy was not available must be submitted.
  • When using electronic tickets, a fax or the itinerary showing the name of the airline, destination, class, amount and proof of payment will be accepted without a memo from the department.

In order to claim the Travel Agency Transaction Fee for reimbursement, a copy of the itinerary, as well as, the airline passenger receipt must be attached to the expense report. Both the airline ticket amount and the travel agency transaction fee should be combined as one total. The fee charged for changing a ticket will be reimbursed if the change was for business reasons. If the ticket was changed for personal reasons, the fee for changing the ticket is not reimbursable. The department has the responsibility to request that the employee reimburse the university for fees that were paid on behalf of the employee on the CBA if the fee would not have been reimbursed.

Note: Upgrades to First or Business Class: Any upgrade in travel to business or first class will require justification from a physician (licensed medical doctor). Upgrades paid from personal funds (not State Appropriated funds or local funds) are exempt from this requirement.

See Procedure 2-81, Section IV for additional information on seat upgrades.

Section II. Personally Owned Motor Vehicle
  1. Travelers will be reimbursed for mileage in accordance with GSA Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) Mileage Reimbursement Rate, which is usually updated January 1 of each year. Archived mileage rates may be viewed by POV Mileage Rate Archived. Mileage is based on the shortest, reasonable highway distance. Mileage between addresses (point to point calculation) may be derived from an employee's odometer reading, or by using any online mapping tool accepted for point to point mileage calculations. Documentation is required for all point to point mileage calculations.
  2. Travelers must ensure that each travel arrangement is the most cost effective considering all relevant circumstances.
    1. Less than 5 hours: Travel that is less than 5 hours one way from designated headquarters, as documented by an online mapping tool, does not require a cost comparison analysis.
    2. More than 5 hours: If the one way destination of travel is more than 5 hours from designated headquarters, as mapped by an online mapping tool, the traveler must complete and submit all documentation showing that cost comparisons were done prior to start of travel for the following modes of transportation:
      1. airfare with/without car rental

        Note: Airfare costs must be from one of the University’s travel agencies – CTP or ATI (ref. Procedure 2-81-2, Sections II and III)
      2. car rental

        Note: Car rentals costs must be from one the Auto Rental Agencies (ref. Procedure 2-81-2, Section V)
      3. total mileage, round trip, for personal vehicle
      4. any other transportation means
    3. If the traveler did not use the most cost effective course of transportation, Travel Services reserves the right to reimburse at the lower of the rates.
    Note : Mileage within designated headquarters does not need a cost comparison.
  3. Reimbursement for mileage between an employee's residence and place of employment is not allowed.
  4. On a work day, mileage must begin and end at the employee's place of employment within designated headquarters, except where cost of mileage from the employee's residence is less than or equal to travel from headquarters. A statement is required on the expense report that the mileage cost is less than or equal to headquarters. During non-working hours, employees may be reimbursed for mileage from their residence to the nearest airport. If another individual drives the traveler to the airport, the traveler may claim mileage to/from the airport.
  5. Except for the cost of airport parking or parking fees required for transaction of state business away from the place of employment, no additional expense incidental to the operation of such motor vehicle shall be allowed.
Section III. University-Owned Vehicle

Gasoline receipts paid for personally by an employee will be reimbursed when using university-owned vehicles. Receipts are required. For rules and procedural guidelines for the operation of a university-owned vehicle please see Motor Vehicles(Procedure 2-48) and Use of University-Owned Vehicles (HOP ADM 5-303).

Section IV. Car Rental

The State Controller has ruled that the cost of personal accident insurance and safe trip insurance of personal effects coverage incurred in conjunction with car rentals are not a reimbursable expense. If such coverage is secured because an employee considers it to be to his/her advantage, the employee will not receive reimbursement for the cost. University contracted car rental rates include the Collision Damage Waiver (C.D.W.). When renting an automobile, the employee should refuse the Collision Damage Waiver Insurance, as the university will not reimburse the duplicate charge. The traveler must book car rentals through the University's dedicated travel agencies, CTP or ATI, or Corporate Travel Planner's online booking system CONCUR. This will ensure the employee is receiving contracted rates, and billed direct to University.

If a traveler books a car rental outside of the travel agencies, or CONCUR, the Texas sales tax on rent cars is reimbursable as well as sales tax on rent cars imposed by other states. The traveler is encouraged to present The Motor Vehicle Rental Tax Exemption Certificate (page 2 only) for rentals occurring in the state of Texas. The traveler will complete the following fields: (1) Exemption – Check “Public Agencies”; (2) Name of Organization – “University of Texas at Arlington”; (3) Signature – Traveler’s Signature; (4) Address of Traveler – University Department Address (Street and number, City, State and Zip Code).

A detailed receipt/contract showing all options being claimed for reimbursement and the amount paid must be provided. Fuel charges incurred for a rent car are reimbursable to the employee with a valid receipt. UTA will not reimburse other insurance coverage or items, such as Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI), Personal Liability Insurance (PLI), road hazard, GPS navigation systems, child booster seats, etc.

  1. Non-Contract Rental Car Vendors: If you rent a vehicle from a non-contract rental car vendor, with a pre-approved exception, insurance may or may not be included in the base rental rate. Inquire at the time of rental if the contract insurance coverage is included. If it is not, you must purchase the LWD and Liability insurance. Liability insurance supplement, Personal Accident insurance, Safe Trip insurance, or Personal Effects insurance are not reimbursable.
Section V. Parking

Airport parking fees are considered to be a miscellaneous business travel expense and incidental to the operation of a motor vehicle. Airport parking fees will be reimbursed in addition to all other travel expenses, but a receipt is required. This applies to both in-state and out-of-state travel.

Other parking fees incurred away from the place of employment while transacting state business are also considered to be a transportation expense incidental to the operation of a motor vehicle. Parking expenses combined with other travel expenses are allowed, but receipts are required.

Note: See Procedure 2-86, Section VI for allowable business travel expenses.

Section VI. Taxi, Bus, Subway, Tolls, Trains, Parking Meters

Fares for taxi, bus, subway, trains and parking meters are reimbursable, but receipts are required. A maximum 20% tip can be added to the transportation fare.

Section VII. Exceptions to This Procedure

All requests for exceptions to this procedure must be in writing and approved by the requestor's department head or appropriate supervisor and approved by the Associate Vice President for Business Affairs and Controller, or designee. The request must be submitted using the BA Exceptions Tracker Request menu located in SharePoint. Each request should include detailed justification for the exception and the benefit to the University if the exception is granted. The Associate Vice President for Business Affairs, or designee, will review each request on an individual basis. The approval of an individual request for an exception to this procedure does not change the procedure. Documentation of the request and its disposition will be maintained in the Business Affairs online policy exceptions files.


Write your text here!