The purpose of this procedure is to:
- protect The University of Texas at Arlington (UT Arlington) personnel from exposure to infectious agents or other viable biological materials that may cause harm to themselves or others after secondary transmission;
- protect UT Arlington students, visiting professionals, volunteers, visitors, and others not employed by UT Arlington who may be on the premises or in proximity of biohazards;
- prevent waste from contaminating the environment;
- provide an environment for high quality research and teaching while maintaining a safe work place; and
- comply with applicable federal, state, and local guidelines and requirements.