Dr. Yuan Bo Peng
Professor of Psychology
Description of Research
Physiological mechanisms of pain
My lab is interested in studying the neurophysiological mechanisms of nociception by means of electrophysiological techniques in both peripheral and central nervous system. We have been studying in these areas: (1) Dorsal root reflexes in peripheral inflammation; (2) Cortical modulation of spinal dorsal horn neuronal activity; (3) Pain mechanisms of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis; (4) Detection of neuronal activities by optic spectroscopy; (5) Development and application of telemetry system for recording and stimulating in the nervous system.
- Zuo C, Yang X, Wang Y, Hagains CE, Li AL, Peng YB, Chiao JC. A digital wireless system for closed-loop inhibition of nociceptive signals. J Neural Eng. 2012 Oct;9(5):056010. Epub 2012 Sep 6.
- Farajidavar A, Hagains CE, Peng YB, Chiao JC. A closed loop feedback system for automatic detection and inhibition of mechano-nociceptive neural activity. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2012 Jul;20(4):478-87.
- Hung Cao, Ai-Ling Li, Cuong M. Nguyen, Yuan-Bo Peng, and Jung-Chih Chiao: An integrated flexible implantable micro-probe for sensing neurotransmitters. IEEE Sensors Journal, 12(5):1618-1624, 2012.
- Jyoti Puri, Priya Vinothini, Jayne Reuben, Larry L. Bellinger, Li Ailing, Peng YB and Phillip R. Kramer: Reduced GABAA receptor alpha6 expression in the trigeminal ganglion alters inflammatory TMJ hypersensitivity. Neuroscience. Jun 28;213:179-90, 2012
- He J-W, Tian F, Liu H, Peng YB: Cerebrovascular Responses of the Rat Brain to Noxious Stimuli as Examined by Functional Near Infrared Whole Brain Imaging. Journal of Neurophysiology, 107: 2853-2865, 2012.
- Hagains CE, Senapati AK, Huntington PJ, and Peng YB: Inhibition of spinal cord dorsal horn neuronal activity by stimulation of the cerebellum. J Neurophysiol. 106(5):2515-22, 2011
- Lobanov OV and Peng YB: Differential contribution of electrically-evoked dorsal root reflex to peripheral vasodilatation and plasma extravasation. Journal of Neuroinflammation, 8:20, 2011
- Hagains CE, He J-W, Chiao J-C, Peng YB: Septal stimulation inhibits spinal cord dorsal horn neuronal activity in rat. Brain Research, 1382: 189-197, 2011.
- Sharma V, He J-W, Narvenkar S, Peng YB, Liu H: Quantification of light reflectance spectroscopy and its application: Determination of hemodynamics on the rat spinal cord and brain induced by electrical stimulation. NeuroImage, 2011 Jun 1; 56(3):1316-28. Epub 2011 Jan 19.
- He J-W, Kashyap D, Trevino LA, Liu H, Peng YB: Simultaneous Absolute Measures of Glabrous Skin Hemodynamics and Light Scattering Change in Responses to Formalin Injection in Rats. Neuroscience Letters, 2011; 492:59-63.
- Hagains CE, Trevino LA, He J-W, Liu H, and Peng YB: Contributions of Dorsal Root Reflex and Axonal Reflex to Formalin-Induced Inflammation. Brain Research 2010; 1359: 90-97.
- He J-W, Herath PM, and Peng YB: Biphasic effects of the anterior cingulate cortex stimulation on glabrous skin blood flow in rats. Brain Research 2010; 1356: 32-43.
- Ativanichayaphong T, He J-W, Hagains CE, Peng YB, and Chiao J-C: A combined wireless neural stimulating and recording system for study of pain processing. J Neurosci Methods. 2008 170(1):25-34. Epub 2008 Jan 5
- Liu H, Radhakrishnan H, Senapati AK, Hagains CE, and Peng YB: Near infrared and visible spectroscopic measurements to detect changes in light scattering and hemoglobin oxygen saturation from rat spinal cord during peripheral stimulation. Neuroimage 2008 Mar: 40(1):217-27.
- Gatchel RJ, Peng YB, Peters ML, Fuchs PN, Turk D: The biopsychosocial approach to chronic pain: scientific advances and future directions. Psychol Bull. 2007 Jul;133(4):581-624.
- Radhakrishnan H, Liu H, Senapati AK, and Peng YB: Determination of hemoglobin oxygen saturation in rat sciatic nerve by in vivo near infrared spectroscopy. Brain Res. 2006 Jul 7;1098(1):86-93. Epub 2006 Jun 19.
- Radhakrishnan H, Senapati AK, Kashyap D, Peng YB, and Liu H: Light scattering from rat nervous system measured in vivo by near infrared reflectance spectroscopy. J Biomed Opt. 2005 Sep-Oct;10(5):051405.
- Senapati AK, Huntington PJ, Lagraize SC, Wilson HD, Fuchs PN, Peng YB: Electrical stimulation of the primary somatosensory cortex inhibits spinal dorsal horn neuron activity. Brain Res. 2005 Sep 28;1057(1-2):134-40.
- Senapati AK, Lagraize SC, Huntington PJ, Wilson HD, Fuchs PN, Peng YB: Electrical stimulation of the anterior cingulate cortex reduces responses of rat dorsal horn neurons to mechanical stimuli. J Neurophysiol. 2005 Jul;94(1):845-51.
- Senapati AK, Huntington PJ, and Peng YB: Spinal dorsal horn neuron response to mechanical stimuli is decreased by electrical stimulation of the primary motor cortex. Brain Res. 1036 (1-2): 173-179, 2005.
- Peng YB, Ringkamp M, Meyer RA, and Campbell JN: Fatigue and paradoxical enhancement of heat response in C-fiber nociceptors from cross-modal excitation. J Neurosci. 23(11):4766-74, 2003.
- Peng YB, Kenshalo DR, Gracely RH: Periaqueductal gray-evoked dorsal root reflex is frequency dependent. Brain Res. 976: 217-226, 2003.
- Peng YB, Ling QD, Ruda MA, Kenshalo, DR. Jr. Electrophysiological changes in adult rat dorsal horn neurons after neonatal peripheral inflammation. J Neurophysiol 90: 73-80, 2003.
- Ringkamp M, Peng YB, Wu G, Hartke TV, Campbell JN, and Meyer RA: Capsaicin responses in heat-sensitive and heat-insensitive A-fiber nociceptors. J Neurosci 21(12):4460-4468, 2001.
- Peng YB, Wu J, Willis WD, Kenshalo D: GABA(A) and 5-HT(3) receptors are involved in dorsal root reflexes: possible role in periaqueductal gray descending inhibition. J Neurophysiol. Jul;86(1):49-58, 2001
- Ruda MA, Ling QD. Hohmann AG, Peng YB and Tachibana T. Neonatal peripheral inflammation alters nociceptive neuronal circuits. Science 289: 628-630, 2000.
- Peng YB, Ringkamp M, Campbell JN, and Meyer RA: Electrophysiological assessment of the cutaneous arborization of A-delta fiber nociceptors. J. Neurophysiol. 82: 1164-1177, 1999.
- Peng YB, Lin Q, and Willis WD: Involvement of protein kinase C in responses of rat dorsal horn neurons to mechanical stimuli and PAG descending inhibition. Exp Brain Res 114: 561-570, 1997.
- Peng YB, Lin Q, and Willis WD: Effects of GABA and glycine antagonists on the activity and PAG-induced inhibition of rat dorsal horn neurons. Brain Res 736: 189-201, 1996.
- Peng YB, Lin Q, and Willis WD: Involvement of Alpha2-adrenoceptors in the periaqueductal gray-induced inhibition of dorsal horn cell activity in rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 278:125-135, 1996.
- Peng YB, Lin Q, and Willis WD. The role of 5-HT3 receptors in periaqueductal gray-induced inhibition of nociceptive dorsal horn neurons in rat. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 276: 116-124, 1996.
- Lin Q, Peng YB and Willis WD: Role of GABA receptor subtypes in inhibition of primate spinothalamic tract neurons: difference between spinal and periaqueductal gray inhibition. J Neurophysiol 75: 109-123, 1996.