Skip to main content

Master of Social Work Program



What are the requirements to get into the masters program?

Admission to the School requires a bachelor’s degree with a liberal arts perspective from an accredited college or university. A grade point average of 3.0 or above for the last 60 hours of undergraduate study is required, or if less than a 3.0 on the last 60 hours of undergraduate study, a 1000 on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE-verbal & quantitative) is necessary.

What if I earn a grade of “C’ or lower in any of my BSW classes?

If a student earns a grade of “C” or lower in a required BSW course, the course will not be waived in the MSW program. The student will be required to retake the course in the MSSW program.

What if I don’t have a 3.0?

You can take classes as a degreed undergraduate at any 4-year university. It can be any class except PE or music. It can be any undergraduate textbook class. After you’ve applied and you’ve been deferred because of your GPA, you can contact the Graduate School in writing and they will tell you how many A’s it would take to bring it up to a 3.0.

What are the requirements for Advanced Standing? How do I apply for the Advanced Standing Program?

Advanced Standing requires a BSW from an accredited university granted no more than 6 years prior to the date of enrollment. If the applicant has earned a BSW within the 6 years, Advanced Standing will be considered, pending meeting other admissions criteria. For older BSW’s a separate evaluation may determine consideration toward part or partial credit toward advanced standing, though not guaranteed.

What do you waive for Advanced Standing students?

Usually, we waive anywhere from 17 to 20 hours. The courses that are waived are Policy I, Direct Practice I, Human Behavior I, Race, Ethnicity & Women (new title: Human Behavior in Diverse Populations) and Field I. UT Arlington Students also get Generalist Macro Practice waived.

I have lots of Social Work experience; will that count if I don’t have a 3.0?

Unfortunately, it will not count. The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), our accrediting body, disallows academic credit for work experience.

Which semesters do you accept students?

Advanced Standing students may apply for Summer, Fall or Spring. Regular Standing students may apply for either Fall or Spring.

What is the deadline to apply?

Check with the Admissions Office to determine the deadlines.

What are the topics that should be covered on the 4-5-page essay (Orientation to Social Work/Social Welfare)?

Cover these topics: What is your motivation for wanting to be a masters level social worker? What do you think are the most important issues facing social welfare? Where do you see yourself fitting into the social work profession in five years? What kinds of experiences have you had in social services (as a client, volunteer, or paid employee)?

Do I have to list all my classes on the liberal arts worksheet?

If you have a BA, only answer Part II on the worksheet. If you have a BS, only answer Part I and II on the worksheet. If you have a BSW, only answer Part III of the worksheet.

When are classes offered?

Each class meets one day a week for 3 hours. Classes are held Monday through Thursday. Classes meet from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm; 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm; and 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm.

Do you offer any Saturday Classes?

Not at this time.

How do I get in-state tuition?

You must live in Texas at least one year and have a Texas Driver’s license, a voter registration card or own property to show that you are planning on staying in Texas after you finish your degree. Also, Janet Weyner in the Graduate School, (817) 272-2681, has information on in-state tuition and further information to qualify.

How do I get scholarship information?

Visit the Scholarships page for a list of School of Social Work scholarships such as the Roy Dulak scholarship, the Lila B. Hagins scholarship, the Peter Guapp scholarship, and more. In addition, the Graduate School gives a $1,000.00 Scholarship to 18 students who qualify.

What can you do with a Social Work degree?

School Social Work, hospital settings, gerontology, public social services, criminal justice/corrections, clinical, healthcare, community organizations, occupational; the degree is very broad and versatile.

Can you do counseling with this degree?


Can you get a license with this degree?

Yes. You can become licensed through the state after you complete the degree by taking a merit test.

Are all the classes located in this building?

Yes. All classes except Technology Usage are held in Social Work Building A. See our Maps page.

Do I need an interview?

No. We look at your paperwork and if that is acceptable, we do not need to interview you. Of course, we welcome on campus visits by interested potential students.

Course Work

What is the minimum number of hours that I can take each semester?

All students must take a minimum of 6 hours during the fall and spring semester. Students can take 3 hours during the summer semester.

If I am taking only 6 hours, can I drop a course?

No. Because the requirement is that students must take 6 hours each fall and spring semester, you may not drop a course. However, a student can petition to have this requirement waived temporarily provided that you can develop a plan with an adviser that will bring you up to 6 hours per semester as soon as possible.

Must the Integrative Seminar course be taken in the final semester of course work?

Yes. The Integrative Seminar is equivalent to a final exam and therefore must be taken in the final semester.

How long can I take to complete my MSW course work?

By taking a minimum of 6 hours per semester, the MSW can be completed within 4 years on a part-time basis. It must however be completed within 6 years.

Student Activities

What professional or student organizations can I join as an MSW student?

The NASW-Student Subcommittee serves as a link to the NASW at both the local and state levels. The goal of the NASW Student Subcommittee is to bring Professional Social Workers together with students. Your association with this group will allow for networking, professional development, and outside opportunities for a better education. The NASW-Student Subcommittee meets on a regular basis.

The Social Work Constituency Council of UT Arlington strives to provide education and enrichment beyond the classroom to Social Work students (see link for details). The Constituency Council selects student members to SSW committees, such as the Search Committee which screens and recommends new faculty candidates to the Dean.

Phi Alpha is a national social work honor society for undergraduate social work majors, faculty and local practitioners. The purposes of Phi Alpha Honor Society are to provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of academic excellence and training for social workers.


What is advising all about? How can I find an advisor?

All students need to talk to an advisor regarding career tracks and academic planning. Check the MSW Advising page for information and a list of advisors.


Where is the School of Social Work located and how do I get to UT Arlington?

For the location of the School of Social Work on the UT Arlington campus and links to the overall campus map, see our Maps page.