Skip to main content

Office of Field Education

Agency Information

Welcome! The School of Social Work values its relationships with organizations and agencies throughout the DFW area and beyond.

Thank you for considering a partnership with the Office of Field Education. We value the support you provide your clients and the community, and we appreciate this additional contribution to the profession.

By joining us, you will be in the good company of more than 500 agencies and organizations that offer field experience to our students. Many of our students have a history of volunteerism and an understanding of how agencies serve clients. Other students are less familiar with social work settings and populations.

In all cases, we are proud to offer our students the opportunity to work with veteran social workers in a variety of settings serving diverse populations. We look forward to getting to know you and to matching you with students who will discover the richness of all you do while growing into your expectations for professional social workers.

To work with our students, you must be able to provide supervision with a BSW-level social worker or an MSW-level social worker with two years of post-graduation, professional experience. These supervisors, or Field Instructors, must hold social work degrees from universities accredited through the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).

Our Students

The UT Arlington School of Social Work graduates BSWs, MSW’s, and Ph.D.’s. BSW and MSW students are required to complete a specified number of hours in field education.

  • BSW students must complete 480 hours of field education in two consecutive semesters of at least 240 hours each in the same agency.
  • First-year MSW (Foundation MSW) students (those who enter the MSW program without a BSW) must complete 480 hours of field education in one semester (split placement) or two semesters (block placements).
  • Second-year MSW (Advanced MSW) students must complete 480 hours of field education. These students have the choice of completing at least 240 hours in two consecutive semesters (called a "split placement") or completing all 480 hours in one semester (called a "block placement") in the same agency.

Our BSW program graduates "generalist" social workers, so these students need an array of experiences in direct practice with individuals as well as with groups, organizations, and communities. These students must work under the supervision of a social worker who has a BSW or an MSW.

Our first-year graduate students also need a “generalist” experience that allows them to work with individuals, groups, organizations, and communities. They must work under the supervision of a social worker who has an MSW.

Our second-year graduate students focus their area of practice in one of two concentrations: Direct Practice (DP) or Community and Administrative Practice (CAP). DP students typically focus on clinical assessment and intervention with individuals and groups. CAP students focus on organizational tasks such as planning, fund-raising, grant-writing, advocacy, etc. Second-year students must also work under the supervision of a social worker who has an MSW.

How to Apply

Please make application the semester before you hope to have students in your agency.

To apply to become a field-affiliated agency, please designate a “main contact.” This person will be our point of contact for all information, announcements, and policy changes. In addition, the main contact will appoint and approve the Field Instructor(s) for your agency.

  • Step 1. Log-on to E-intern a robust online data system that includes agency and field instructor applications, student applications, and online evaluation forms for students, field instructors, and field liaisons.
  • Step 2. Enter your user name, designate yourself as a new user, and create your password. This will lead you to a menu where you can select that you want to make application as an agency.
  • Step 3. Complete the application.
  • Step 4. Be sure to include the name of the person(s) who will serve as the Field Instructor(s) for your student interns.
  • Step 5. Save and submit your application.
  • Step 6. We will review the application and make an appointment to speak with you about what type of students can work best in your agency.
  • Step 7. Once we approve your application, we will send you the UTA “Affiliation Agreement.” Most agencies find this agreement to be acceptable while others want to add or change some wording.  The UTA administrative office that oversees contracts will review and sign the affiliation agreement once your agency has done the same.

Once the above steps are complete, your agency is listed in e-intern as an affiliated agency. Each semester, you will receive an email from our office notifying you that it is time to request students for the upcoming semester. We need to know how many and what classification of students you want (BSW, First-year MSW students, Second-year MSW students, split/block, DP/CAP).

Do not respond to this notice via email. Once you receive this notice, please go to e-intern to make your official request for the upcoming semester. If you are able to project the number and classification of students you need for an entire year, please do so.

We look forward to working with you!