Monthly UTAAA lunch time meeting. "Advising International Students" - Office of Internatio...
The University of Texas at Arlington
UT Arlington Advising Association (UTAAA)
Thu, Apr 3
Tue, Apr 15
This luncheon is sponsored by the Office of the Provost to celebrate and congratulate the Outstandin...
Thu, May 1
Monthly UTAAA lunch time meeting hosted by the Office of Financial Aid.
Annual Advising Conference
17th Annual Advising Conference
Thanks to everyone that joined us on Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at UT Arlington for a full day of learning, networking and professional growth.
Review #UTAAA2014 for the insider view of the conference.
Conference Keynote Speaker
Dr. Lee Kem, Professor and NCC Coordinator of Masters Program in Human Development & Leadership at Murray State University, will discuss "Disaster Recovery and CPR."Dr. Lee Kem has a Ph.D. in educational psychology specializing in counselor education and supervision. She is a university professor, director of a graduate program in Human Development and Leadership, and has taught and advised graduate and undergraduate college students for 10+ years. Her large graduate leadership program includes international students and she is the faculty advisor for the Saudi Student Organization. Dr. Kem has conducted extensive research related to group process, stress, and perceptions. She is a National Certified Counselor; a member of the American Counseling Association; and has 20+ years in private practice as a counselor specializing in perceptions, stress, depression, anger, violence, suicide, disaster recovery, family relationships, and divorce recovery. For 10+ years Dr. Kem has been a regular presenter at National Academic Advising Association national, regional, and state conferences, has presented and conducted workshops at multiple national and international conferences, and has authored numerous articles on stress and education related issues. Dr. Kem is the lead developer of the 4L Approach© Program, the Master Advisor Certification Program©, the Faculty Advisor Program, and three online stress and perceptions inventories. In addition to her academic and counseling background, she has lived and worked in numerous unique cultural environments.
Conference Schedule and Parking Information
The conference starts bright and early on Tuesday, February 18, 2014. Registration will take place on the second floor of the E. Hereford University Center (UC) in the Guadalupe Room, and all the sessions will also take place on the second floor. Please review the campus map for the UC location, but know that there will be signs leading you to the building from the parking garage in College Park Center. If you need driving directions, please visit the UTA Campus Map website and enter your address for detailed directions to our campus powered by Google Maps.
- 8:00am-8:45am: Registration, Check-In & Breakfast
- 8:45am-10:00am: Welcome & Keynote Session
- 10:15am-11:15am: Concurrent Session 1
- 11:30am-12:45am: Lunch
- 1:00pm-2:00pm: Concurrent Session 2
- 2:15pm-3:15pm: Concurrent Session 3
Concurrent Session ScheduleConcurrent Session 1
- Dr. Lee Kem: Personality, Advisees, and YOU
- Officer Ricardo Gomez and Detective King: Active Shooter Preparedness
- Nikki Dickens: The Career Development Process: The Journey Starts Now!
Concurrent Session 2
- Megan Gray and Amber Miles:First Responders: Managing Advising Crises
- Soyla Santos:Crisis Averted!: Practical #Edtech for Advisors. Click here for the Video
- Lisa Thompson and Tanya Vittitow: Student Veterans-Supporting their Academic Success
Concurrent Session 3
- Catherine Nutter: Advising for Self Efficacy with Readmitted Students
- John Hipple: Suicide and Self Injury: Quick Assessment, Immediate Intervention, and Referral: An Overview
- Paul Krawietz, Rebecca Garner and Tyler Garner: Fires, Floods, Earthquakes, and Tornados: Are you ready for the next “Academic Disaster?”