Join the fun as teams of students push beds on wheels while decked out in creative costumes at the University's "longest running" tradition. The Bed Races began in 1980 to celebrate the opening of Maverick Stadium. Racing beds are provided. Teams of five may register to enter the races. General admission to this event is free and open to the campus and community; entry into the races requires registration and payment of participation fee by the deadline.
This event is sponsored by Campus Recreation and EXCEL Campus Activities. For more information contact (817) 272-2963 or email@example.com.
Thursday, October 10, 2013
Maverick Stadium – 1307 W. Mitchell Street (map)
|Team check-in||6 - 6:30 p.m.|
|Mandatory captains' meeting||6:45 p.m.|
|Races begin||7 p.m.|
Regular Bed Races Registration (Teams)
Regular registration requires that you submit an online sign-up form AND submit full payment in person. Your application is not complete until both have been completed. If space is available, late entries will be accepted through Wednesday, October 9 at noon. A late fee of $10 will be added to your entry fee.
Late Entry Registration (if space remains): Wednesday, October 9 by noon
(With a $10 late entry fee added to your team total)
|Submit payment to:
($50.00 late entry)
Oozeball/Bed Races Dual Registration
This year Bed Races and Oozeball have joined together to offer a dual registration for both events at discounted rate of $100—a $15 savings for your team. In order to take advantage of this offer, you must pay through the Alumni Association's Oozeball webpage. No refunds or post-transaction credits will be given for teams that have registered separately; you must sign up for both events at the same time by the deadline below.
Dual Registration Deadline: Tuesday, October 1
Team Entry Fee (Bed Races and Oozeball): $100 online payment
Teams will receive their Bed Races t-shirts upon check-in at the event. Though we will do our best to fill all sizes accurately, if you sign up after September 20, your team members may not be guaranteed their requested shirt sizes.
- Fastest in Women's Division
- Fastest in Men's Division
- Fastest in Co-recreational Division
- Most Spirited Individuals (5)
(judged upon creativity, enthusiasm, attire)
- Field Goal Kicking Champion
- Racing beds are provided for all teams.
- Each team consists of five currently enrolled student members: four pushers and one rider.
- A team captain will be designated by each team as a primary contact. The captain attends a mandatory meeting immediately prior to the races and is responsible for ensuring that team members are present when the team is called to race.
- Teams are classified into one of three divisions: Women’s Division, Men’s Division, Co-recreational Division.
In the case of co-rec teams, two women and two men must push the bed.
- All team members must be 18 years of age or older and submit a waiver of liability prior to racing.
- Members pushing must hold onto the bed at all times.
- Races are conducted in timed matches (heats) against the clock with two or three teams running at the same time.
Times and standings are refereed by the Department of Campus Recreation; all judgments are final.
- There will be one guaranteed race per team. Teams with the fastest times in their division will advance for final competition to determine winners. Thus, the winner of an individual match will be recognized, but will not necessarily advance.
- All teams must wear approved or provided helmets. Knee and elbow pads are highly recommended. Participants will need to provide their own pads.
- All racers and riders must wear closed-toed shoes.