Join the fun as teams of students push beds on wheels while decked out in creative costumes at the University's "longest running" tradition. The Bed Races began in 1980 to celebrate the opening of Maverick Stadium. Racing beds are provided. Teams of five may register to enter the races. General admission to this event is free and open to the campus and community; entry into the races requires registration and payment of participation fee by the deadline.
This event is sponsored by Campus Recreation and EXCEL Campus Activities. For more information contact (817) 272-2963 or email@example.com.
|Mandatory captains' meeting||TBD|
Regular Bed Races Registration (Teams)
Regular registration requires that you submit an online sign-up form AND submit full payment in person. Your application is not complete until both have been completed. If space is available, late entries will be accepted with a late fee of $10.
If you do not yet have a team but would still like to participate in the event, you may sign up as an individual and will be placed on a team based on availability.
Teams will receive their Bed Races t-shirts upon check-in at the event. Though we will do our best to fill all sizes accurately, if you sign up late, your team members may not be guaranteed their requested shirt sizes.
- Fastest in Women's Division
- Fastest in Men's Division
- Fastest in Co-recreational Division
- Most Spirited Individuals (5)
(judged upon creativity, enthusiasm, attire)
- Field Goal Kicking Champion
- Racing beds are provided for all teams.
- Each team consists of five currently enrolled student members: four pushers and one rider.
- A team captain will be designated by each team as a primary contact. The captain attends a mandatory meeting immediately prior to the races and is responsible for ensuring that team members are present when the team is called to race.
- Teams are classified into one of three divisions: Women’s Division, Men’s Division, Co-recreational Division.
In the case of co-rec teams, two women and two men must push the bed.
- All team members must be 18 years of age or older and submit a waiver of liability prior to racing.
- Members pushing must hold onto the bed at all times.
- Races are conducted in timed matches (heats) against the clock with two or three teams running at the same time.
Times and standings are refereed by the Department of Campus Recreation; all judgments are final.
- There will be one guaranteed race per team. Teams with the fastest times in their division will advance for final competition to determine winners. Thus, the winner of an individual match will be recognized, but will not necessarily advance.
- All teams must wear approved or provided helmets. Knee and elbow pads are highly recommended. Participants will need to provide their own pads.
- All racers and riders must wear closed-toed shoes.