As a Maverick, you wake up every day and choose to be the best. Because college isn’t just a place where you earn a degree. It’s a place that challenges you to set your goals high and then surpass them, just because you can. And you rise to that challenge every time. Whether you’re acing a test, cheering on the Mavs, or spiking a volleyball ankle-deep in mud, you choose excellence in all things. You work smart, play hard, and live well. Because there’s one clear path to success, and you’re headed squarely in that direction. Keep going that way. The Maverick Way.
Diversity and Inclusion
UT Arlington is one of the most diverse campuses in the country. Walking on campus is like opening a door into the real world. The unique perspective of each of our students expands our vision, increases our knowledge of the world, and enhances our own self-awareness. There are many ways to uphold this tenet of The Maverick Way.
Our students are people of integrity. Be intentional while you develop your own personal integrity. Weigh your options and make good choices. You can uphold The Maverick Way of integrity by choosing any or all of the following.
- Demonstrate good sportsmanship on the intramural fields and at athletic events.
- Hold peers accountable for misconduct.
- Model good behavior and ethical decision-making.
- Develop original academic thoughts and ideas and give credit to others for their original thoughts and ideas, as outlined in the Honor Code.
- Take responsibility for your actions and accept the consequences of a mistake.
Pride and Tradition
As a Maverick, you are part of a strong tradition of excellence that began in 1895. From the events that generations of Mavericks have enjoyed for years to the places on campus that will come to define your UT Arlington experience, UT Arlington is a place rich with history and full of spirit and pride. Take part in the longstanding traditions of the University, and be proud to be a member of the Maverick community. Show your Maverick pride – it’s The Maverick Way.
- Wear UT Arlington spirit gear on campus and in the community.
- Learn and sing the UT Arlington Alma Mater and Fight Song to show your school spirit at athletic and campus events.
- Participate in University traditions including Welcome Week, Oozeball, Bed Races, and Graduation Celebration.
- When you meet the credit hour requirements, purchase and proudly wear your Maverick ring.
- Read the Campus Traditions and Transitions book to learn about the history of UT Arlington, including former names of the University, previous mascots, the meanings behind the names of campus buildings, and other fun facts.
Respect and Civility
At UT Arlington, we promote a culture of respect and dignity. We recognize that the success of one is the success of all of us, and as such, we value every unique contribution and talent that comes together to make the Maverick community strong. In all, we strive for a campus culture that strengthens our unity at UT Arlington and beyond. You can demonstrate mutual respect by following The Maverick Way.
- Respect the space, thoughts, and feelings of others.
- Abide by the University Code of Conduct.
- Address conflicts maturely.
- Show respect in the classroom by showing up on time, being prepared to learn, and turning your cell phone off.
Involvement and Engagement
Being a Maverick means blazing your own path to success by creating memories and experiences that are all your own. The Maverick Way teaches you to leave no stone unturned and take full advantage of the collegiate experience by being an engaged member of the campus community. How can you uphold this tenet of The Maverick Way?
- Join a student group, which may include a professional organization, a special interest group, or a fraternity or sorority.
- Attend a campus musical or theatre performance, the Maverick Speakers Series, or a University-wide celebration.
- Be actively engaged in our surrounding community by volunteering with UTA Volunteers, at The Big Event, or through a service learning course.
- Enhance your leadership skills by participating in the Leadership Retreat or other Leadership Center programming.
- Attend UT Arlington athletic events.
A healthy Maverick is a successful Maverick. Our students know that college is a time to develop your whole self. That it’s an endeavor best tackled with sense of balance, a sharp mind, and a strong body. The Maverick Way offers many avenues toward personal wellness.
- Take a group fitness class at the Maverick Activities Center.
- Play on an intramural team, compete in a sport club, or participate in the LiveWell MavWell program.
- Talk to someone in Counseling and Psychological Services if you start to feel overwhelmed.
- Visit the Health Center if you are feeling under the weather.
- Contact the Relationship Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention program as needed for educational materials and support services.
- Take part in any of our seminars and workshops devoted to addressing college life.
The beauty of The Maverick Way is that it isn’t a single path that we all follow in the same manner. It’s a path that changes depending on who travels it. If you follow any of the suggestions above, great! But there are many other ways to follow The Maverick Way. Is your Instagram account full of pictures taken around the UT Arlington campus? Check off one for school spirit! Did you organize a study group for a tough class? Check one off for academic integrity! Did you tell your cousin in high school about what a great school UT Arlington is? That’s The Maverick Way, too. How do you follow The Maverick Way? Tell us here.