Each year, Student Publications awards numerous awards and scholarships to recognize and encourage outstanding work on student publications. Scholarships are available both to new UTA students who have been selected for a publication staff position and to current staff members in recognition of outstanding work. All scholarships are contingent on availability of funds.
Student Publications scholarships and awards
Rookie Scholarships are awarded to students who are entering UTA for the first time, have been selected to be on The Shorthorn staff for the first time and meet other qualifications. Eligibility criteria and application instructions for these scholarships are explained on the application form.
Other scholarships and awards
Student Publications and former Shorthorn staff members have established several scholarships to be awarded to current Shorthorn staff members at the end of the fall or spring semester. Receipt of these scholarships is considered one of the highest levels of recognition in Student Publications. The dollar amount of each scholarship varies depending on availability of funds. These include:
- Roger Dycus Scholarship: awarded in the fall semester for overall outstanding contributions by a Shorthorn newsroom staff member.
- Dorothy Estes Scholarship: awarded in the spring semester for overall outstanding contributions by a Shorthorn newsroom staff member.
- Arnie Phillips and Calvin Pyle Awards, for outstanding achievement by a member of the advertising staff.
- Shorthorn Pulitzer Club Award, for outstanding achievement by a Shorthorn staff photographer.
- Sallie Waldron Award, awarded for outstanding achievement in Shorthorn publications design.
- Charles LeMaistre Award, for outstanding achievement in reporting.
- Brian Shults Award, for academic achievement while holding a Shorthorn staff position.
- Greg Teer Award, for outstanding achievement by a Shorthorn section editor.
- Paul Swensson Award, for outstanding achievement by a Shorthorn copy editor.
- Newsroom Rookie Award, for outstanding work by a Newsroom rookie.
- Director’s Awards, for outstanding work by staff members in any Student Publications area for accomplishments not recognized in other awards.
Students selected to be Shorthorn editors are eligible to apply for Editor Scholarships.
Student Publications scholarships and awards are supported by donations, supplemented by funds from the Student Publications operating budget. Amount and availability of all scholarships and awards is contingent on available funding.
You can make online contributions for Shorthorn scholarships by using this form, or you can send a check to UTA Student Publications Director; Box 19038; Arlington, TX 76019. Unless otherwise requested, donations will be applied to the John Dycus and Shorthorn Scholarship Fund and used for the scholarship or award where the funding need is greatest. The fund was created to honor longtime Shorthorn adviser John Dycus when he retired in 1998.
For more information about Student Publications scholarships and awards, e-mail Student Publications Director Beth Francesco.
Get the Mav app
Access the latest information about UT Arlington wherever you are with your iPhone, iPod, or iPad.