The Adaptive Resource Center (ARC) produces alternative formats for students with print disabilities. Students who receive these services must be registered with the Office for Students with Disabilities and must have this as an approved accommodation. In addition, the ARC has assistive technology such as CCTV (video enlargers) and screen reader/screen enlarger software for student use in the ARC.
Policies and Procedure for Requesting Alternative Formats
These policies and procedures are for all students who are registered with the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) and have been approved to receive alternative formats.
- Qualified students with disabilities may be eligible to receive alternative formats for their textbooks from the OSD. (Students must have submitted documentation and been approved for services before any alternative formats will be created.)
- Students must complete an Accommodation Request Form each semester requesting to receive books in alternative format.
- Students must be enrolled in courses for the semester they are requesting alternative formats for their books. Students must bring a copy of their receipt and a copy of their class schedule to the Adaptive Resource Center (ARC) in order for the request to be processed.
- The student is required to purchase each book that they are requesting to satisfy copyright laws. Students must show proof of ownership (such as a receipt) to the ARC to receive services.
- It is the student’s responsibility to provide a course syllabus to ensure materials are being converted in the appropriate order. Failure to provide a syllabus may result in materials not being converted in the order in which they are required.
- It is the student’s responsibility to submit an Alternative Formats Request Form to the ARC four to six weeks prior to the first class. Later requests will be filled in the order in which they are received.
- The student may not revise, convert, disassemble, modify, sell, license, rent, loan or otherwise share the alternative formats to any other person.
- OSD will make every effort to give the student the format that is preferred, although we cannot always guarantee that your preferred format will be available.
- Typically, four to six weeks notice is required to obtain alternative format materials. However, this time can be shorter or longer depending on the date of request, format of the book, and the format being requested.
- Production of alternative formats will not begin until the student has submitted an Accommodation Request Form for the current semester, an Alternative Formats Request Form is completed, the requests have been approved by OSD staff, proof of purchase has been given to OSD, and the book has been provided/given to OSD.
- Register for class and purchase your books.
- Submit an Accommodation Request Form.
- Come to the Adaptive Resource Center (ARC) to make a request. You must complete an Alternative Formats Request Form with your course and book information and provide a copy of your receipt for the books you are requesting.
- Bring a copy of your course syllabus to the ARC to ensure materials are being converted in the appropriate order.
- Check your UT Arlington e-mail for notices of when materials are ready to be picked up in the ARC. (Allow four to six weeks production time.)
OSD Front Office:
Mon. – Fri. 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Adaptive Resource Center:
Fall and Spring
Mon. – Thurs. 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM;
Fri. 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Summer and breaks
Mon. – Fri. 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM