Students must be registered with the office in order to receive academic accommodations.
A registered student qualifies as a person who has been through the registration process and is still “active” with the University of Texas at Arlington. If you are a current student and are registered with OSD, please retieve your Accommodation Letters in order to receive accommodations for the current semester. Please note that all registered students must complete steps 4 and 5 of the Registration and Accommodation Procedures each semester.
If you left the University for an extended time and were required to reapply to the University, you must re-register with OSD.
If you are not registered with OSD or do not qualify as an “active” student, please read the “Registration and Accommodation Procedures” below, and see the “Documentation Guidelines” regarding your disability.
Registration and Accommodation Procedures
Here are the registration procedures and steps you must take to request accommodations at UT Arlington based upon a disability:
- Provide a copy of the diagnostic testing, medical records, and/or a summary letter from a physician or appropriate clinician that documents your disability. (See various handouts with specific documentation requirements depending upon the specific disability to determine what documentation is appropriate for your disability/s). Submit this information to the Office for Students with Disabilities located in University Hall, Room 102.
- Your documentation will go before the Documentation Review Committee (DRC) where your eligibility for services is determined. The committee meets each week throughout the year (except holidays). Documentation must be received in OSD before 5 pm on Thursday to be evaluated during each week’s review process. Anything received after 5 p.m. will be reviewed the following week. Please allow five (5) business days for an OSD representative to contact you after your documentation has been reviewed to schedule an appointment with an assigned OSD counselor.
- Once your documentation has been reviewed by the DRC and it has met the University’s documentation standards, you must meet with an assigned counselor in order to be considered “registered” with the office.
- Allow 2 business days once you are registered with OSD to retrieve your Accommodation Letters, available from your Student Center in MyMav. Letters of accommodation will be generated based upon those accommodations agreed upon by the DRC. The letter will outline specific instructions for your instructors with the appropriate accommodations.
Although you can email them, it is best if the accommodation letters are delivered in person by you to each of your instructors. (Note: OSD recommends that students deliver their letters personally to preserve confidentiality and to create an opportunity for discussion between the student and instructor.) Accommodations do not become effective until the instructor receives the accommodation letter.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 at the beginning of each semester to request your accommodations while you are enrolled at UT Arlington.
Registered students must complete steps 4 and 5 of the Registration and Accommodation Procedures each semester.