Students must be registered with the office in order to receive academic accommodations.
A registered student qualifies as a person who has been through the registration process and is still “active” with the University of Texas at Arlington. If you are a current student and are registered with OSD, please submit an Accommodation Request Form in order to receive accommodations for the current semester. Please note that all registered students must complete steps 4 and 5 of the Registration and Accommodation Procedures each semester. Please note, if you left the University for an extended time and were required to reapply to the University, you must re-register with OSD.
If you are not registered with OSD or do not qualify as an “active” student, please read the “Registration and Accommodation Procedures” below, and see the “Documentation Guidelines” regarding your disability.
Registration and Accommodation Procedures
Here are the registration procedures and steps you must take to request accommodations at UT Arlington based upon a disability:
- Provide a copy of the diagnostic testing, medical records, and/or a summary letter from a physician or appropriate clinician that documents your disability. (See various handouts with specific documentation guidelines depending upon the specific disability to determine what documentation is appropriate for your disability/s). Submit this information to the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) located in University Hall, Room 102.
- Your documentation will go before the Documentation Review Committee (DRC) where your eligibility for services is determined. The committee meets each week throughout the year (except holidays). Documentation must be received in OSD before 5 pm on Thursday to be evaluated during each week's review process. Anything received after 5 p.m. will be reviewed the following week. Please allow five (5) business days for an OSD representative to contact you after your documentation has been reviewed to schedule an appointment with an assigned OSD counselor.
- Once your documentation has been reviewed by the DRC and it has met the University's documentation standards, you must meet with an assigned counselor in order to be considered "registered" with the office.
- Once you are registered with OSD, you will be required to fill out the Request for Accommodation Form and leave it with the receptionist. Letters of accommodation will be generated based upon the request form and those accommodations agreed upon by the DRC. The letter will outline specific instructions for your instructors with the appropriate accommodations. You must come back to our office (allow 3-5 business days) after you submit the accommodation request form to pick up the letters.
- When you return to OSD to pick up your letters of accommodation, you will be asked to sign and date the "Accommodation Letter Sign-Out Sheet". The accommodation letters should be delivered in person by you to each of your instructors. Accommodations do not become effective until the instructor receives the accommodation letter signed by an OSD official. (Note: OSD recommends that students deliver their letters personally to preserve confidentiality and to create an opportunity for discussion between the student and instructor.)
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 at the beginning of each semester to request your accommodations while you are enrolled at UT Arlington.
Registered students must complete steps 4 and 5 of the Registration and Accommodation Procedures each semester.