Installing SecureDoc with FileVault encryption on OS X
Installing SecureDoc on OS X also begins the disk encryption process. Do not begin the installation process until you are on campus and ready.
You will need to download the SecureDoc with FileVault encryption installation instructions pdf document.
In addition, you will need a way to access theses instructions without using the laptop to complete the installation. You should print the SecureDoc with FileVault encryption installation instructions pdf document to help you complete the installation.
- Faculty (currently appointed) and Staff
System requirements: Mac
How to Get:
To prepare for the installation of full disk encryption on your laptop, we ask that you do the following:
- Download and print the SecureDoc with FileVault encryption installation pdf document. You will be required to reboot and use a temporary password to complete the install. The instructions provide the password.
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions regarding full disk encryption.
How to Use:
Encrypting your hard drive could take 6-24 hours to complete. If the computer reboots before the encryption is complete, you may need to contact support to recover your computer and complete the installation.
These steps should be completed while logged into the user account of the primary user of the machine. Failure to follow these steps as the primary user will result in more headaches to create and migrate accounts. Please make sure you are logged in as the user who should be encrypting the machine before beginning.
- Download and print the SecureDoc with FileVault install instructions pdf document for later reference when you don’t have access to the internet during this installation.
- Plug your computer into the AC Adaptor and the UTA network using the blue ethernet cable. The computer will be working for many hours, and needs to have power the whole time.
- Log in to the computer if you haven’t already.
- Download the SecureDoc with FileVault encryption software from the downloads web page.
- Follow the printed instructions from the SecureDoc with FileVault install instructions pdf document.
Q: I am at a login window with only the wmfv user account as a login option. How do I login to my machine now?
A: You need the wmfv password found within the SecureDoc with FileVault install instructions pdf document.