Installing SecureDoc on Mac OS X
Installing SecureDoc on Mac OSX also begins the disk encryption process. Do not begin the installation process until you are on campus and ready. In addition, you will need a way to access theses instructions without using the laptop to complete the installation. You should print this document to help you complete the installation
- Faculty (currently appointed) and Staff
System requirements: Mac
How to Get:
To prepare for the installation of full disk encryption on your laptop, we ask that you do the following:
- Print the installation document. You will be required to reboot and use a temporary password to complete the install. The instructions provide the password. It also includes instructions on what to do if your laptop is locked/rebooted/suspended during the encryption process.
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions regarding full disk encryption.
How to Use:
Encrypting your hard drive could take 6-24 hours to complete. If the computer reboots before the encryption is complete, you will need to contact support to recover your computer and complete the installation.
These steps should be completed while logged into the user account of the primary user of the machine. Failure to follow these steps as the primary user will result in more headaches to create and migrate accounts. Please make sure you are logged in as the user who should be encrypting the machine before beginning.
- Print these instructions for later reference when you don’t have access to the internet during this installation.
- Plug your computer into the AC Adaptor and the UTA network using the blue ethernet cable. The computer will be working for many hours, and needs to have power the whole time.
- Log in to the Mac OS X if you haven’t already.
- Download the SecureDoc software from the download.uta.edu page.
Open the UTA-SD-Mac dmg file.
Open the SDMacintosh pkg file.
Run the installer.
When the Installer is complete, click the reboot button to proceed. When your Mac starts up from now on, you will see a key icon before the normal Apple logo.
Log in to the Mac. SecureDoc launches automatically and asks to reboot.
Log in to the Mac again. SecureDoc launches automatically again, and the encryption begins (will take between 6-24 hrs). It is best to not disturb this computer while it is encrypting. If the computer reboots, you will need to contact support to recover your installation.
Note: If the temporary password “a” or your normal passwords don’t work during the SecureDoc login screens, and you are having an issue logging into any encrypted laptop for the very first time, you can press F8 to see the username that the encryption was setup for. You will have to reboot to log-in with that username and the a the first time. If you continue to have issues, please contact OIT Help Desk to assist you.
You should see the installation complete message. Confirm and then confirm reboot.
On the next boot, login to SecureDoc with your computer's username and the password “a”. If this does not work, and you have logged into SecureDoc from another computer, use the same password you used previously on that computer.
If you don't know your computer username, press the F8 key to display this, then press the power button to restart and login again.
- Log in to the Mac using your normal password.
SecureDoc will prompt to you enter your Mac account password. This is the one you just used to log in to the Mac or to install software and updates. If you use network login, check that box.
SecureDoc may ask to change the password again.
- Use “a” as the old password.
- Use your account password as the new and verify fields (the same one you used to login in the last step).
- Confirm the “installation complete” message and in a moment, you will see the SecureDoc key menu appear on the menu bar on the right.
- Reboot your computer and try to log in to SecureDoc with your username normal Mac password.
- If this does not work, try the temporary password “a”. Once the Mac is running, reboot again, and try your normal password in SecureDoc one more time.
My laptop rebooted/suspended/hibernated before the encryption was finished. How do I login to my machine now?
- At the SecureDoc Login screen, enter your NetID and the temporary password 'a'.
- Log on normally.
- SecureDoc will continue to run in the background.
Policies: Information Security Office FDE Policy