Skip to content

The University of Texas at ArlingtonThe University of Texas at Arlington

Veterans Business Outreach Center



Question:  How much do UTAVBOC services cost?

Answer:  UTAVBOC services are free to all transitioning service members, veterans, disabled veterans, National Guard, reserve component members and spouses.

Question:  Who qualifies for UTAVBOC services?

Answer:  You may request UTAVBOC assistance if you are seeking information for starting or growing a business in North Texas, Oklahoma, or Arkansas; and if you are:

      • An honorably discharged veteran
      • An Active Duty Military service member eligible for the military Transition Assistance Program (TAP)
      • An Active Reservist and/or National Guard Member
      • A current spouse of any of the above, or a widowed spouse of a service member who died while in service or as a result of a service-connected disability

Question:  What is the process to receive UTAVBOC services?

Answer:  The first step is to REQUEST ASSISTANCE. The U.S. Small Business Administration requires all clients to register and complete the Request for Counseling form (Form 641), which also serves as our Confidentiality and Conflict of Interest Agreements (provided for your security).  Shortly after you've completed the form, you will receive an email with further instructions.

Question:  Are there any special grants for veterans or disabled veterans?

Answer:  Currently, UTAVBOC is unaware of specific grants for veterans to start or expand a for-profit business. However, small businesses and nonprofits conducting research and development can apply for grants at  For general information on obtaining federal grants, please visit

**Scam Alert** Please be cautious of and thoroughly investigate the legitimacy of any organization stating they can get you a grant.

Question:  How can I get a small business loan?

Answer:   The U.S. Small Business Administration is not a lending institution, and therefore, does not lend money to small businesses (except in disaster situations).  However, your UTAVBOC advisor will discuss financing options available to you, including U.S.Small Business Administration loan guarantees.  Before you start talking to lenders, have a look at the abbreviated checklist below to see if you're ready.

      • Business Plan:  Most lenders expect a business plan when you apply for startup funding.  If you need to create one, follow the SBA's free business plan guide.
      • Amount & Use of Funds:  Know how much capital you need and how it will help your business.
      • Credit History:  Lenders use credit scores to determine credit risk and interest rates.  The SBA helps guarantee some loans that otherwise may not qualify.
      • Financial Projections:  Show you understand your business' finances, how the funds will be used, and how you'll pay back the loan.
      • Collateral:  Many lenders require you to use another asset to guarantee your loan. This can be a home, car, inventory, or other property you own.
      • Industry Experience:  Industry experience isn't required, but it's helpful. Firsthand knowledge about your industry can make your lender feel confident about your loan request.

Question:  Are there any fee waiver exceptions to establish my veteran-owned business?

Answer:  In Texas, in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 1049, effective January 1, 2016, a new Veteran-Owned Business (VOB) that is chartered/organized or otherwise formed in the state of Texas and first begins doing business on or after January 1, 2016 may be eligible for an exemption from certain filing fees and the Texas franchise tax. To qualify for these exemptions the proposed new business entity must:

      • Be 100% Veteran Owned
      • Each owner of the newly formed entity must be an HONORABLY discharged Veteran of a branch of the United States military
      • Present verification to the Comptroller of the business owner's [or owners'] military service and honorable discharge.

For more information and to initiate the verification process, please visit Texas Veterans CommissionFor states other than Texas, please check with you Secretary of State and state veterans commission.

Question:  How do I become a Veteran Owned and/or Service Disabled Veteran Owned business?

Answer:  You can simply self-declare if you, as the veteran, are the majority owner (51%).  You do this by stating it on your business cards, your email signature line, your website, social media or any documentation/collateral that has your business name on it.  However, if you're doing business directly with the VA, you must follow through with their verification process

Question:  Can I bring a non-veteran business partner and/or employee with me to a UTAVBOC event or workshop?

Answer:  Absolutely!

Question:  Why is it taking so long to receive a reply?

Answer:  We do apologize, and we ask for your understanding and patience.  UTAVBOC is responsible for transitioning veterans, disabled veterans, National Guard, active and reserve component service members, and their spouses who are interested in becoming business owners in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas.  75% of our advisors' time is spent out of the office delivering the Boots to Business program, advocating for veteran resources and conducting outreach to create awareness of the program.  We ask that you respond to the initial intake questions via email to allow the advisors to better prepare for a productive conversation with you.  If you have responded to the intake questions (see above) and have not yet been contacted, please resend your response.  An advisor will connect with you once they are back in the office.  You may also visit our resource partners at SCORE or SBDC.

In the meantime, if you do not have a solid business pan, please visit SBA to begin using the Business Planning Tool to build your plan.