Chemical Environmental Management System (CEMS)
CEMS is a barcode-based system to record and manage information about the quantity, location and properties of chemical inventory and biological agents. It automates record-keeping and saves time, money and space by maintaining stock at appropriate levels and eliminating unnecessary purchases.
Other benefits include:
- Provides access to more than 49,000 Safety Data Sheets (formerly known as Material Safety Data Sheets) updated regularly.
- Increases efficiency by maintaining an up-to-date inventory of all chemicals and making them easy to locate.
- Automates record-keeping and waste removal requests by identifying chemicals with specific shelf life and specific storage requirements, making it easier to know when to remove old or expired chemicals.
- Calculates total amount of certain chemicals to comply with the Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards.
To request a training session, please contact Elisabeth Rowlett.
Standard Operating Procedures
- SOP - Request New CEMS Account
- SOP - Request to Inventory New Chemicals on CEMS
- SOP - Update Inventory on CEMS
- SOP - Add Inner Location on CEMS
- SOP - Request for Chemical Waste Removal on CEMS
- SOP - Disposal of Empty Chemical Containers
- SOP - Expired Chemicals
- SOP - Periodic Physical Inventory of Chemicals
- SOP - Search for Safety Data Sheet/Material Safety Data Sheet
Manuals and Guidelines
STEPS THAT CEMS USERS CAN TAKE TO PREVENT AND ELIMINATE CHEMICAL INVENTORY DISCREPANCIES:
- Contact EH&S every time a new chemical container arrives at your lab/shop by following SOP-Request to Inventory New Chemicals on CEMS.
- Enter Inner Location for every new container by following the SOP-Add Inner Location on CEMS.
- Mark container empty on CEMS as soon as the chemical has been completely used. Follow the SOP-Update Inventory on CEMS.
- If logging into CEMS is not feasible at the time, peel off the bar-code of the empty container and attach it to the laminated sheet on your laboratory wall labeled “Attach UTA barcodes of the empty containers here”.
- Attend EH&S CEMS training for a refresher. Contact the CEMS Administrator at 817-272-2185 to schedule training.
- Refer to documentation in Quick Links window of the CEMS Home page to help you navigate through CEMS.