Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- About the Graduate Degrees
- Graduate Programs
- Guidelines for Admission Status
- Graduate Financial Support
- How to Apply
- Pre-Application Form
- Chem Grad Students Association
- Chemistry Department Scholarships
- Graduate Student Handbook and Forms
- Fellowships, Scholarships and Stipends
- Regular Faculty A-Z
- Adjunct Faculty A-Z
- Emeriti Faculty A-Z
- Retired Faculty A-Z
- Daniel W. Armstrong
- William A. Baker
- Edward Bellion
- Alejandro Bugarin
- Saiful Chowdhury
- Purnendu (Sandy) K. Dasgupta
- Rasika Dias
- Ronald L. Elsenbaumer
- Frank W. Foss
- Robert F. Francis
- Jongyun Heo
- Junha Jeon
- Kayunta Johnson-Winters
- Peter Kroll
- Carl J. Lovely
- Frederick MacDonnell
- Subhrangsu S. Mandal
- Dennis S. Marynick
- Brad S. Pierce
- Martin Pomerantz
- Laszlo Prokai
- Krishnan Rajeshwar
- Jimmy R. Rogers
- Zoltan A. Schelly
- Kevin A. Schug
- E. Thomas Strom
- Norma Tacconi
- Seiichiro Tanizaki
- Richard B. Timmons
- Jennifer Rhinehart
- Robin Macaluso
- Research Interests Grid
- Analytical Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Organometallic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- How to Succeed in Chemistry
- Mass and Volume Measurement
- Separation of a Three Component Mixture
- Determining the Empirical Formula of a Copper Oxide
- Titration as an Analytical Method: Determining the Acid Content in Vinegar
- Qualitative Analysis: Identifying Simple Salts from their Properties and Reactions
- The Ideal Gas Law and Gas Constant
- Hess's Law and Calorimetry
- Synthesis of Tris-1,10-phen iron(II) chloride
- Spectrophotometric Determination of Purity and Concentration
- Atomic Emission Spectra of Gases: Evidence of Quantum Structure
- Chemiluminescence: Optimization of a Chemical Reaction
- Molecular Shapes By Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion (VSEPR) Theory
- Freezing Point Depression in tert-Butyl Alcohol
- Re-crystallization of Acetaminophen from Tylenol
- Chemical Kinetics: Determining the Rate Law for a Chemical Reaction
- Synthesis of 'Green Crystals'
- Colorimetric Determination of the Equilibrium constant for the Formation of a Complex Ion
- Buffer Solution Behavior
- Behavior of Strong and Weak Acids Upon Titration
- Enthalpy and Entropy of a Reaction
- Redox Titration
- Construction of Simple Batteries and Measurement of Half-Cell Potentials
- Organic Chemistry 1
- ABOUT US
Robert F. Francis
Office: n/a, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: n/a, FAX: n/a
Synthesis and Mechanism Studies of Medium-Sized Ring Amines, Pyridines andReduced Pyridines
“A General Synthesis of Medium-Sized Ring Amines,” Manfred G. Reinecke, Louis R.Kray and Robert F. Francis, Tetrahedron Letters, 40, 3549-3553 (1965).
“The Catalytic Alpha-Methylation of Pyridines,” Manfred G. Reinecke, George Grins,Louis R Kray and Robert F. Francis, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences,145, 116-122 (1967).
“General Synthesis of 2,6-Dialkylpyridines,” Robert F. Francis, J.T. Wisener and JamesM. Paul, Chemical Communications, 1971, 1420.
“The Peripheral Synthesis of Medium-Ring Nitrogen Heterocycles via Beta-EliminationReactions,” Manfred G. Reinecke, Louis R. Kray and Robert F. Francis, J. Org. Chem.,37, 3489-3493 (1972).
“The Peripheral Synthesis of Medium-Ring Nitrogen Heterocycles by DisplacementReactions,” Manfred G. Reinecke and Robert F. Francis, J. Org. Chem., 37, 3494-3497(1972).
“Reaction Intermediates in the Alkylation of Pyridine with tert-Butyllithium,” Robert F.Francis, William Davis and J.T. Wisener, J. Org. Chem., 39, 59-62 (1974).
“Some Nucleophilic Addition Reactions of 2,5-Dihydropyridines: Synthesis of 2,3,6-Trialkyl(phenyl)-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridines and 2,3,6-Trialkyl(phenyl)pyridines,” RobertF. Francis, Howard M. Howell and Donald T. Fetzer, J. Org. Chem, 46, 2213-2215(1980).
“The Stereochemistry of 2,6-Di-tert-butyl-1,2,5,6-tetrahydropyridine and cis- andtrans-2,6-Di-tert-butylpiperidine,” Robert F. Francis and Edwin L. Colling Jr., J. Org.Chem., 51, 1889-1891 (1985).
B.S. in Chemistry, East Texas State University (now Texas A and M Commerce), 1954.
M.S. in Chemistry, East Texas State University, 1955.
Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Texas Christian University, 1967
“Teacher of the Year,” College of Science, The University of Texas at Arlington, 1971-72.
“Outstanding Teaching Award,” Amoco Foundation, The University of Texas at Arlington,1977.
“Outstanding Teaching Award,” College of Science, The University of Texas at Arlington,1993-94.
“Piper Professor of 1995,” Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation of San Antonio, TX.
Among the first six faculty Inducted Into The Academy of Distinguished Teachers, The University of Texas at Arlington.
Received title “Distinguished Teaching Professor,”1996.
“Salutes to Excellence Award,” Dallas-Ft. Worth Section of The American ChemicalSociety, 2003.