Frequently asked questions

Covid-19 Frequently Asked Questions

To better facilitate the needs of future students and their families, UTA has updated admissions requirements for spring, summer and fall 2021 semesters. Please review our Covid-19 Admissions FAQ for more information on admissions requirements and procedures.

General Questions

Q:  How many students are enrolled at UT Arlington?
A:  The total of undergraduate and graduate students for the spring of 2017 is just over 41,900.

Q:  What is UT Arlington's student/professor ratio?
A:  The overall student to professor ratio is 22:1.

Q:  How do I request a campus tour?
A:  The preferred method to request a campus tour is to register online. You may also make a tour reservation by contacting the Dan Dipert University Welcome Center at 817-272-8687.

Q:  Do you have special visitation days?
A:  The Office of Undergraduate Recruitment hosts several Maverick Experience events throughout the year.

Q:  Is the University open on Saturdays?
A:  The Dan Dipert University Welcome Center is open on Saturdays at 9 a.m. on days when a campus tour is being offered. However, administrative and academic offices are closed on Saturdays.

Q:  What do I need to score on my AP exams to get college credit?
A:  For more information on credit by examination and placement testing, see Testing Services.

Admissions Questions

Q:  When are the deadlines for applying for admission?
A:  See the Application Page.

Please Note: Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply before the preferred application deadline date.  Deadlines for scholarship consideration and financial aid consideration are earlier than the admission deadline. Application processing requires time to evaluate credentials, address TSI issues, and review data. Submitting credentials significantly past the preferred deadline date may impede the student's eligibility to register for classes. For more information on TSI, see Testing Questions. Scholarship and Financial Aid deadlines are earlier than the preferred application deadlines.

Q:  When do classes start?
A:  To find out when classes begin each semester, see the Academic Calendar.

Q:  How long does it take to process an application?
A:  From the time that the application is complete, processing takes approximately 7 to 30 business days. The time it takes to process an application can vary depending upon how much time there is before the next semester starts. You may review your application status online in MyMav.

Q:  What is the status of my application?
A:  You can check the application of your status online using your MyMav account.

Q:  What happens if my file is not complete by the deadline date?
A:  Your admission to the University cannot be guaranteed, nor can the evaluation of your transcripts necessarily be done before classes begin.

Q:  Do you need an official transcript or can I send a copy?
A:  We need an official transcript from every institution attended. Transcripts older than 6 months will not be accepted. You can have your school send it by mail (info here), or you may bring it to the Office of Admissions in the University Administration Building, Room 123. Some schools can sent transcripts to us electronically--ask your school! 

Q:  What SAT/ACT scores are acceptable for freshman admission?
A:  Your admission is based primarily on your high school rank in class and your SAT/ACT scores. Review the Freshman Admission Criteria

Please be advised UTA is test score optional for spring, summer and fall 2021 semesters. Students have the option to provide ACT and/or SAT scores as part of the admission application process. If you apply for admission without these test scores your application will be evaluated based on high school records such as GPA, class rank, courses taken and other relevant criteria.

Q:  Is an SAT required for international students?
A:  Yes. The SAT is required for all freshman applications, including international students, in addition to a TOEFL score. Included as freshmen are students transferring with fewer than 30 semester college level credits. All engineering majors must submit an SAT. Although transfer students with over 30 credit hours are not required to take the SAT, they must submit a TOEFL.

Please be advised UTA is test score optional for spring, summer and fall 2021 semesters. UTA accepts Duolingo with a required minimum score of 110. Please review International Freshman Admissions Criteria

Q:  If I am a transfer student from another school, does my GPA start over at UT Arlington?
A:  Yes.

Q:  How many courses or hours will transfer from a community college?
A:  All college level academic courses (not vocational/technical/developmental) with a grade of "C" or better will be transferred, although not all may be applied to the degree. All courses transferring from a junior college will be accepted as lower division only. It is typical to accept in transfer toward a degree up to sixty-six (66) semester credit hours of academic credits earned by a student in a community college; however, in some cases it could be more. For more information, see the Transfer Equivalency Guide.

Q:  When will I know which credits will transfer?
A:  When official documents have been submitted and a formal evaluation is done. Normally, this occurs two to four weeks from the time your admission decision is made, if you met the deadline. For more information, see the Transfer Equivalency Guide.

Q:  If I am a former student, do I need to fill out another application?
A:  Yes, you will need to submit another application and a $75.00 application fee if you were not enrolled at UT Arlington in the previous long semester. If you were enrolled in a spring semester, you do not need to reapply for the next fall semester.

Q:  Is there someone I can talk to about what I need for admission to UT Arlington?
A:  Yes, UT Arlington Admissions Counselors are available by appointment at the Office of Admissions, University Administration Building, Room 123. To make an appointment, call 817-272-2090.

Financial Aid Questions

For more information, visit the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Q:  What is the deadline for financial aid?
A:  To be considered for the full range of financial aid programs, the FAFSA must be completed by: April 1 for Summer or Fall aid and November 1 for spring aid.

Q:  Can I apply for financial aid if I haven't been accepted?
A:  Yes, but an award can be made only after you are admitted.

Q:  What is UT Arlington's code number for financial aid?
A:  The Title IV code is 003656.

Q:  What is the deadline for scholarships?
A:  Scholarships are awarded on a first come, first served basis. Students must be admitted to UT Arlington by the deadline, but being admitted before the deadline does not guarantee a student will receive a scholarship. There is no additional scholarship application. All eligible undergraduate students will receive automatic consideration for general academic scholarships administered through the Scholarship Office if they were admitted before the deadline and monies are still available. The number of scholarships awarded varies from year to year. Please see Scholarships for the deadline date, which varies year to year.

Housing Questions

For more information, visit UTA Housing.

Q:  When should I apply for housing?
A:  Apply for housing as soon as you think you may be interested in attending the University of Texas at Arlington. You don't have to be accepted to the university to submit your housing application. You need only have applied and received your student ID number. On campus space fills up quickly so it's important to get your application in early. If you're applying for a Fall semester, try to get your application filed with Housing the fall before you plan to attend. You do need to be accepted in order to be offered a housing contract.
Apply online for university housing.

Q:  Do you have off-campus housing?
A:  Yes, we have apartments near campus; there are also houses available to rent.

Q:  What type and how many residence halls does UT Arlington offer?
A:  UTA has five residence halls that are all coed locations.

Q:  What are the charges for living in residence halls?
A:  The charges will vary from hall to hall based on square footage, suite or community bath, coed or non-coed. See Residence Hall Rates and Features for more information.

Q:  Do I have to be admitted to the University before I can apply for on-campus housing?
A:  No. However, housing contracts will only be offered once you have been admitted.

Q:  What type of meal plan does UT Arlington offer?
A:  Our meal plan is through Aramark. A student can place money in a MAV Express Account and then use this account to purchase food.

Q:  Do I have to purchase a meal plan if I live on campus?
A:  If you live in Arlington Hall, KC Hall, Lipscomb Hall South, or Vandergriff Hall, or West Hall you are required to purchase a meal plan. Students that live in Lipscomb Hall North, or in our apartment locations, are not required to have a meal plan. 

Residency Questions

Q:  Who is eligible to establish Texas residency for tuition purposes?
A:  U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents, and Eligible Aliens (includes certain visas and certain undocumented Texas high school graduates) are eligible to establish Texas residency for tuition purposes.

Q:  What qualifies me to be a Texas Resident?
A:  If you are a dependent student, your residency will be classified the same as that of your parents. If you are an independent student, you:

  1. Must live in Texas for 12 consecutive months
  2. Must be gainfully employed or demonstrate financial independence 12 months prior to enrollment
  3. Education cannot be your primary reason for residing in Texas

Students may pay Texas Resident Tuition if they meet all the requirements of Senate Bill 1528 (formerly HB 1403):

  1. Graduated or will graduate from high school or complete a GED in Texas
  2. Must have lived in Texas for 36 months prior to high school graduation or completion of the GED
  3. The student must have lived in Texas for the 12 months prior to the semester for which they are applying
  4. If the student is not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident they must complete a Senate Bill 1528 Affidavit. You can obtain a copy of the Senate Bill 1528 Affidavit file

Q:  Who can be classified as a dependent student?
A:  A dependent is an individual who is either a minor, or someone who is 18 years of age or older and claimed, or eligible to be claimed, as a dependent for federal income tax purposes by a parent or guardian in the year of enrollment.

Q:  Who can be classified as an independent student?
A:  An independent is anyone 18 years of age or older who is not claimed by a parent or guardian as a dependent for federal income tax purposes during the tax year including the enrollment period.

Q:  I am 17 years old. Who do I base residency on?
A:  You are a dependent, so your residency will be based on the residency of your parent or court-appointed legal guardian.

Q:  Who qualifies as a court-appointed legal guardian?
A:  Court-appointed legal guardians are proven by court documents signed by a judge in a court of law.

Q:  My parents live in another state and I came to Texas to go to school. Can I establish residency so I can pay in-state tuition?
A:  If your parents live in another state, and claim you for federal income tax purposes, you are considered a dependent and not eligible to establish residency in your own right unless you meet all the requirements of Senate Bill 1528. However, independent students may establish residency (see guidelines on Rules on Establishing Residency: Independent Individuals 18 years of age or older).

Q:  I have been enrolled full-time since my move to Texas, but no one else claims me for federal income tax purposes. Can I establish residency after living here for 12 months?
A:  The Texas Residency Laws state that students enrolling in an institution of higher education prior to having resided in the state for 12 months immediately preceding the time of enrollment shall be classified as nonresidents for tuition purposes. However, after living in the state for 12 months, if the student can show business or personal ties to the state of Texas, he/she may seek reclassification as a resident by completing a Core Residency Questionnaire (also available in Admissions). Circumstances to be considered shall include, but are not limited to:

  1. The length of residence and employment prior to enrolling in an institution
  2. The nature of employment while a student
  3. Presence in the state as part of a household transferred to accept employment in Texas
  4. Purchase of a home or business in Texas
  5. Marriage to a long time Texas resident

Q:  Can I attend college during the 12 month period that I am establishing residency?
A:  Yes, as long as you attend half time or less and have otherwise met residency requirements. Half-time is considered 6 hours during each long semester (Spring and Fall) and 3 hours during each short semester (Summer and Minimesters). Please keep in mind that you will pay out-of-state tuition during the 12-month period that you are establishing residency.

Q:  What is gainful employment?
A:  Gainful employment is considered lawful activities intended to provide an income to the individual or allow an individual to avoid the expense of paying another person to perform the tasks (as in childcare or the maintenance of a home).

Q:  I am on military assignment in Texas, and my home of record is out-of-state. Can I qualify to pay in-state tuition?
A:  Yes, military personnel assigned to duty within the state of Texas as well as their spouse and their dependent children, shall be entitled to pay the same tuition as a resident of Texas regardless of the length of their physical presence in the state. To qualify for the waiver of out-of-state tuition, a letter from the commanding officer must be provided certifying that the military member is on current duty assignment in Texas at the time of enrollment. This letter should be submitted once every 12-month period and should cross reference the student's name and social security number.

Q:  I am in the military and have been living out-of-state for a while, but my home of record is Texas. I will separate from the military soon, and plan to return to Texas. How can I qualify for residency?
A:  You should provide copies of your Leave and Earnings Statements to verify Texas as where you pay/paid taxes, and if/when you are discharged, a copy of your DD214.

Q:  I have been classified as a nonresident and now feel that I have met the residency requirements. How do I seek reclassification as a resident?
A:  You should complete a Core Residency Questionnaire (also available in Admissions) and return it along with supporting documentation to the Office of Admissions.

Q:  What kind of documentation can I provide that verifies my employment and/or my move to Texas?
A:  Required documents: Letter from employer on company letterhead signed by a company official stating date of hire, average hours worked per week, and the length of employment.
Examples of Supporting documents (but not limited to):

  • a copy of a lease showing the student's name as renter
  • a bank letter stating when the student's account was opened
  • wage statements in the student's name showing employment dates, and name/address of employing company
  • proof of voter or auto registration and/or driver's license in Texas
  • federal tax returns (and/or W-2 forms) filed by the student showing a Texas address
  • bills or statements in the student's name showing a Texas address.

Additional information about residency can be found at College for All Texans: Residency Information. If you have additional questions regarding residency you can e-mail

International Questions

Q:  Who should fill out the International Application?
A:  The paper-based application is the same for all students (domestic and international). For the electronic version of the Texas Common Application, any student on a non-immigrant visa should choose the appropriate International option in the section titled "Please Select Type of Application."

Q:  How do I get an I-20?
A:  You must apply to the University and fulfill all admission requirements. When you are admitted, an I-20 is issued.

Q:  How long does the international admission process take?
A:  Once all required documents are submitted, approximately 2 to 4 weeks are required to complete the admission process.

Q:  Is there an application fee? If there is, how much?
A:  Yes; the application fee for international students is $75.00.

Q:  How high do I have to score on the TOEFL to be accepted to UT Arlington?
A:  The TOEFL test is required of all international student applicants from non-native English speaking countries. The minimum acceptable score is 550 for the paper-based test, and 213 for the computer-based test. Scores must be sent directly from ETS (Educational Testing Service). Please keep in mind that ETS will not release scores older than two (2) years.

Q:  What are the SAT score requirements?
A:  The minimum combined verbal and math score for the redesigned SAT I Test is 980 for general admission; students who wish to declare a pre-engineering major are required to submit a minimum score of 1270. The minimum combined score for the old SAT I Test is 900 for general admission and 1200 for those who wish to declare pre-engineering majors. 

Q:  Can I register for classes and take the SAT later?
A:  No, the SAT is required for admission from all freshmen with less than 30 transfer credits, and all engineering majors.

Q:  What are the GPA requirements?
A:  The applications of prospective students from countries other than the U.S. are reviewed on an individual basis, and admission decisions are based on the strength of the previous academic work, scores on the SAT if required, and the TOEFL score. Academic background and curriculum are important considerations in decisions on admissibility.

Q:  When will I know which of my courses will transfer?
A:  If your file is completed by the deadline and you are accepted, a copy of your evaluation will be mailed within 2 to 4 weeks of your acceptance.

Q:  What type of financial documentation do I need to provide?
A:  UT Arlington requires that you provide an original letter on bank letterhead signed by a bank official. The letter must document the availability of $39,114 to $44,828 depending on the period of study. If a parent or sponsor is providing your funding, UT Arlington also requires a personal letter signed and dated by your sponsor, confirming intent to support you while you are attending UT Arlington. The Financial Statement Form included with your application has more complete information regarding this.

Q:  Will you accept a copy of the bank letter?
A:  No, UT Arlington requires that an original letter be submitted. A scan or clear picture of the letter can be uploaded on the document form. If the bank letter is brought to the Office of Admissions, at your request, we ill make a verified copy of your letter, and return the original to you. 

Q:  What are the deadlines for completing my file?
A:  The deadlines are: Fall Semester - May 1; Spring Semester - October 1; Summer Session - March 1.

Q:  I'm in the United States on an F-1 visa. Can I take classes part-time?
A:  No; according to INS regulations, students on an F-1 visa must be enrolled as full-time students (12 hours per semester, for Fall and Spring).

Q:  I'm in the United States on a visa other than F-1. Can I attend classes part-time?
A:  Students in the U.S. on an H, J, or L visa can attend classes part-time. Applicants in the U.S. on another visa should contact the Office of International Education.

Q:  I'm in the United States on a visa other than F-1. Will I have to provide financial documentation?
A:  No, we will require a copy of your I-94 card out of your passport and the most current approval notice from the INS confirming your visa status. F-2 visa holders are required to submit a copy of the I-94 card and a copy of the F-1 visa holder I-94 and I-20.

Student Life Questions

For more information, see the Division of Student Affairs.

Q:  Does UT Arlington have fraternities or sororities?
A:  Yes, UT Arlington has 26 different organizations in four councils. See Greek Life.

Q:  Where do students hang out on campus?
A:  Students hang out at the University Center. The Food Court is located there. There is a recreational sports facility located on the first floor (bowling alleys, pool tables, and an arcade). There is a TV lounge. Another facility where students go is the Maverick Activities Center (state-of-the-art weight room, two gyms, tennis, jogging track). UT Arlington also has an indoor pool and outdoor pool in the Physical Education Building. Outdoor tennis courts are also available.

Q:  What do students do on the weekends?
A:  There is a lot to do in Arlington. The campus is situated in the middle of Dallas and Fort Worth—which means that in addition to many great things to do in Arlington (Six Flags amusement park, Texas Rangers baseball games, Dallas Cowboys football games, Dallas Stars hockey games) there are hundreds of things to do just minutes away in Dallas and Fort Worth.  

Many students attend numerous on-campus events or go to River Legacy Park, where they roller blade, play soccer or just relax; there are the Fort Worth or Dallas Zoos, the Stockyards, Kimbell Art Museum, and shopping at the Parks or Dallas Galleria. In addition to available campus nightlife, students have many choices.

Q:  Does UT Arlington have intramural sports?
A:  Yes, UTA has intramural sports. They range from traditional sports such as volleyball, softball, and basketball to nontraditional.

Q:  Are there organized social events arranged by UT Arlington?
A:  Yes, through EXCEL (Excellence in Campus and Community Service, Entertainment, Leadership and Development). EXCEL's primary focus is to plan and implement campus-wide cultural, social, recreational, and educational activities.

Q:  Do social groups have parties on campus?
A:  Yes, through EXCEL (Excellence in Campus and Community Service, Entertainment, Leadership and Development). EXCEL's primary focus is to plan and implement campus-wide cultural, social, recreational, and educational activities.

Q:  How many organizations does UT Arlington have?
A:  UT Arlington has over 300 organizations. For more information, see Student Organizations.

Orientation Questions

For more information, see New Maverick Orientation

Q:  What is the Orientation Program?
A:  The Orientation Program is an excellent opportunity for newly admitted students to learn valuable information about UT Arlington services and academic programs. In addition to an introduction to the University, students meet with an advisor and register for classes.

Q:  Is the Orientation Program mandatory?
A:  Yes, the Orientation Program is required for all freshmen, transfer, and international students.

Q:  When does Orientation take place?
A:  For students entering in the Fall: during June, July, and August.
For students entering in the Spring: during January.
For students entering in the Summer: during May.

Q:  How do I receive information on the Orientation Program?
A:  Visit the Orientation website at

Q:  How long will the Orientation Program last?
A:  The Orientation Program is a day-and-a-half for freshmen students and a day for transfer students.

Q:  Do I need to reserve a space in one of the Orientation Programs?
A:  Yes, you need to register for orientation online.

Q:  Is there a fee to attend the Orientation Program?
A:  Yes, there is a fee for all students and a fee for parents or guests.

Q:  Is there a parent session during the Orientation Program?
A:  Yes, there is a simultaneous schedule for parents that addresses pertinent issues dealing with their college bound student at freshman orientation.

Q:  Do I need to have taken TSI Assessment prior to attending one of the orientation sessions?
A:  Yes, you need to have taken the TSI Assessment, or be exempt from taking the exam. If you do not have scores or an exemption, then you will be unable to register for classes during the orientation session.

Testing Questions

Q:  Am I required to take placement tests?
A:  UT Arlington utilizes a testing program to determine your appropriate math placement. Careful placement increases your chances of success in math. If you passed the TSI Assessment for Math and wish to enroll in a Math course other than MATH 1301, 1302, 1308 or 1315, you will be required to take the Math Aptitude Test. For more information about the MAT please visit the Math Department website.

Q:  Do I have to take the Math Aptitude Test if I have taken the AP exam (but haven't received the scores yet)?
A:  Students who have taken the AP exam but have not yet received scores will be required to either wait for their scores or take the placement exam before registering for any of these classes. If a student has received the AP credit for a math class, he/she does not have to take the placement exam in order to sign up for any other math courses with that course as a prerequisite.

Missing Document Questions

Q:  MyMav, or an email from admissions, say I am missing documents to complete my application. What do those documents mean?
A:  The following list explains all the different document types for UT Arlington applications.

  • Official College Transcript: Please submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities you have attended.
  • Application Fee/Fee Waiver: All students must pay the $75 application fee before their application will be processed. If you apply after the priority deadline, your application fee will be $75. Fee Waivers are not available for transfer students. Freshman students should contact their high school guidance counselor about waiver documentation.
  • Official High School Transcript: Submit an official high school transcript. Transfer students with less than 24 transferable hours must also submit high school transcripts in addition to their official college transcript(s). If you have an updated official college transcript showing that you have earned at least 24 transferable hours, you do not need to submit the high school transcript. You only need to submit the updated college transcript.
  • Official SAT/ACT Scores: Submit official SAT or ACT scores. Transfer students with less than 24 hours must submit official SAT or ACT scores in addition to their official college transcript(s). If you have an updated official college transcript showing that you have earned at least 24 transferable hours, you do not need to submit SAT or ACT scores. You only need to submit the updated college transcript.
  • International Documents or TOEFL scores: If you have questions about these documents, please contact the Prospective Student Center at 817-272-2090.
  • Proof of Residency/Citizenship: Please submit a copy of your state ID or permanent resident card to the Office of Admissions through the document upload form
  • Degreed Educational Objective: Please submit this form.
  • UAC Special Permission: Please contact University College at 817.272.3140.

Common Enrollment Hold Questions

Q:There is a hold on my MyMav account. What does it mean and how can I remove it?
A:The following list explains common types of holds for UT Arlington students.

  • Academic Department: Students must be advised each semester before they can register for classes. If you are a new freshman student, you will be advised at orientation. If you are a new transfer student, contact your major department to schedule an advising appointment.
  • Orientation: All new freshman and transfer students must attend New Maverick Orientation. You can register for New Maverick Orientation online at If you have additional questions, you can contact the New Maverick Orientation Office at 817.272.3213.
  • TSI Liable/Not Complete: For hold removal, student must provide proof of TSI assessment or TSI-approved exemption. See for more information or contact the TSI Coordinator at
  • International Office: Contact the International Office at (817) 272-2355 for more information.
  • Health Center Holds: Contact the International Office at (817) 272-2355 for more information.
  • Registration Agreement: Each semester students must accept the UTA Registration Agreement before they will be able to register for the following semester. It will be listed as the "UTA Registration Agreement" in your To Do List in the Student Center in MyMav. Click here for more detailed instructions on how to complete the agreement. 

Summer Bridge Questions 

Q. Do I have to be TSI complete to participate in the Summer Bridge program?
A. Students must have provided documentation of TSI exemption (Test scores or College transcripts) or have attempted the TSI assessment prior to the May 1st deadline if they are not exempt. Students will be enrolled in developmental coursework if they do not pass one or all sections of the TSI assessment. 

Q. Which classes will students take over the summer?
A. Students in the Summer Bridge program will enroll in two courses that will apply toward their Bachelor's Degree, selected in consultation with an academic adviser. The classes will be 5 weeks in duration and can be taken in Summer 1 or Summer 2 term or both. 

Q. When are classes held?
A. Summer Bridge classes will be held Monday through Thursday for 5 weeks. The time of each course will be determined during registration. 

Q. When will students register for summer classes?
A. Summer Bridge registration will occur during New Maverick Orientation.

Q. Do Summer Bridge students qualify for Financial Aid?
A. Yes, students in Summer Bridge will have their financial aid split between the summer and fall semesters. To get an idea of how your specific breakdown will work, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 817-272-3561.

Q. Can I stay on campus during the summer?
A. Yes, students can apply to live on campus for the summer. However, they do have to apply for summer housing. The cost depends on where the student lives. Every residence hall/apartments is different. You can browse the options at

Q. Can students keep the same dorm room for the summer and fall semesters.
A. Yes, students can keep the same housing assignment. However, they must apply for both the summer and fall semester separately.

Q. Are there meal plans or is the student on their own for meals during the summer?
A. Yes, students can purchase a meal plan for the summer. Some of our residence halls require that students have a meal plan.

Q. When will students be enrolled in summer classes?
A. Summer Bridge enrollment will occur during New Maverick Orientation. Students are not required to meet with an advisor prior to attending orientation, however it is strongly encouraged.

Q. What is the Clery Act and how do I view annual reports about campus safety?
A. The University of Texas at Arlington’s Campus Security and Fire Safety Report (the “Report”) is available for review. The Report includes crime statistics for the prior three calendar years. These statistics include crimes that occurred on campus, in non-campus properties owned or controlled by UTA and frequented by students, and on public property within or immediately adjacent to campus. The Report also includes information on fire statistics for campus residential properties for the prior three calendar years and current fire safety systems in these properties. In addition, the Report includes UTA policies related to the safety and security of our campus community. You may access the 2018 Report by clicking on the following link: 2019 Campus Security and Fire Safety Report. You may request a paper copy of the Report by contacting the Office of Legal Affairs or emailing