Dr. Yuan Bo Peng
Dr. Yuan Bo Peng
Description of Research
Physiological mechanisms of pain
I am interested in studying the neurophysiological mechanisms of sensory transmission, especially, nociception by means of electrophysiological techniques in both peripheral and central nervous system. Our current projects include: (1) Dorsal root reflexes in peripheral inflammation; (2) Cortical modulation of spinal dorsal horn neuronal activity; (3) Pain mechanisms of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis; (4) Detection of neuronal activities by optic spectroscopy; (5) Development and application of telemetry system for recording and stimulating in the nervous system.
- Zuo C, Yang X, Wang Y, Hagains CE, Li AL, Peng YB, Chiao JC. A digital wireless system for closed-loop inhibition of nociceptive signals. J Neural Eng. 2012 Oct;9(5):056010. Epub 2012 Sep 6.
- Farajidavar A, Hagains CE, Peng YB, Chiao JC. A closed loop feedback system for automatic detection and inhibition of mechano-nociceptive neural activity. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2012 Jul;20(4):478-87.
- Hung Cao, Ai-Ling Li, Cuong M. Nguyen, Yuan-Bo Peng, and Jung-Chih Chiao: An integrated flexible implantable micro-probe for sensing neurotransmitters. IEEE Sensors Journal, 12(5):1618-1624, 2012.
- Jyoti Puri, Priya Vinothini, Jayne Reuben, Larry L. Bellinger, Li Ailing, Peng YB and Phillip R. Kramer: Reduced GABAA receptor alpha6 expression in the trigeminal ganglion alters inflammatory TMJ hypersensitivity. Neuroscience. Jun 28;213:179-90, 2012
- He J-W, Tian F, Liu H, Peng YB: Cerebrovascular Responses of the Rat Brain to Noxious Stimuli as Examined by Functional Near Infrared Whole Brain Imaging. Journal of Neurophysiology, 107: 2853-2865, 2012.
- Hagains CE, Senapati AK, Huntington PJ, and Peng YB: Inhibition of spinal cord dorsal horn neuronal activity by stimulation of the cerebellum. J Neurophysiol. 106(5):2515-22, 2011
- Lobanov OV and Peng YB: Differential contribution of electrically-evoked dorsal root reflex to peripheral vasodilatation and plasma extravasation. Journal of Neuroinflammation, 8:20, 2011
- Hagains CE, He J-W, Chiao J-C, Peng YB: Septal stimulation inhibits spinal cord dorsal horn neuronal activity in rat. Brain Research, 1382: 189-197, 2011.
- Sharma V, He J-W, Narvenkar S, Peng YB, Liu H: Quantification of light reflectance spectroscopy and its application: Determination of hemodynamics on the rat spinal cord and brain induced by electrical stimulation. NeuroImage, 2011 Jun 1; 56(3):1316-28. Epub 2011 Jan 19.
- He J-W, Kashyap D, Trevino LA, Liu H, Peng YB: Simultaneous Absolute Measures of Glabrous Skin Hemodynamics and Light Scattering Change in Responses to Formalin Injection in Rats. Neuroscience Letters, 2011; 492:59-63.
- Hagains CE, Trevino LA, He J-W, Liu H, and Peng YB: Contributions of Dorsal Root Reflex and Axonal Reflex to Formalin-Induced Inflammation. Brain Research 2010; 1359: 90-97.
- He J-W, Herath PM, and Peng YB: Biphasic effects of the anterior cingulate cortex stimulation on glabrous skin blood flow in rats. Brain Research 2010; 1356: 32-43.
- Ativanichayaphong T, He J-W, Hagains CE, Peng YB, and Chiao J-C: A combined wireless neural stimulating and recording system for study of pain processing. J Neurosci Methods. 2008 170(1):25-34. Epub 2008 Jan 5
- Liu H, Radhakrishnan H, Senapati AK, Hagains CE, and Peng YB: Near infrared and visible spectroscopic measurements to detect changes in light scattering and hemoglobin oxygen saturation from rat spinal cord during peripheral stimulation. Neuroimage 2008 Mar: 40(1):217-27.
- Gatchel RJ, Peng YB, Peters ML, Fuchs PN, Turk D: The biopsychosocial approach to chronic pain: scientific advances and future directions. Psychol Bull. 2007 Jul;133(4):581-624.
- Radhakrishnan H, Liu H, Senapati AK, and Peng YB: Determination of hemoglobin oxygen saturation in rat sciatic nerve by in vivo near infrared spectroscopy. Brain Res. 2006 Jul 7;1098(1):86-93. Epub 2006 Jun 19.
- Radhakrishnan H, Senapati AK, Kashyap D, Peng YB, and Liu H: Light scattering from rat nervous system measured in vivo by near infrared reflectance spectroscopy. J Biomed Opt. 2005 Sep-Oct;10(5):051405.
- Senapati AK, Huntington PJ, Lagraize SC, Wilson HD, Fuchs PN, Peng YB: Electrical stimulation of the primary somatosensory cortex inhibits spinal dorsal horn neuron activity. Brain Res. 2005 Sep 28;1057(1-2):134-40.
- Senapati AK, Lagraize SC, Huntington PJ, Wilson HD, Fuchs PN, Peng YB: Electrical stimulation of the anterior cingulate cortex reduces responses of rat dorsal horn neurons to mechanical stimuli. J Neurophysiol. 2005 Jul;94(1):845-51.
- Senapati AK, Huntington PJ, and Peng YB: Spinal dorsal horn neuron response to mechanical stimuli is decreased by electrical stimulation of the primary motor cortex. Brain Res. 1036 (1-2): 173-179, 2005.
- Peng YB, Ringkamp M, Meyer RA, and Campbell JN: Fatigue and paradoxical enhancement of heat response in C-fiber nociceptors from cross-modal excitation. J Neurosci. 23(11):4766-74, 2003.
- Peng YB, Kenshalo DR, Gracely RH: Periaqueductal gray-evoked dorsal root reflex is frequency dependent. Brain Res. 976: 217-226, 2003.
- Peng YB, Ling QD, Ruda MA, Kenshalo, DR. Jr. Electrophysiological changes in adult rat dorsal horn neurons after neonatal peripheral inflammation. J Neurophysiol 90: 73-80, 2003.
- Ringkamp M, Peng YB, Wu G, Hartke TV, Campbell JN, and Meyer RA: Capsaicin responses in heat-sensitive and heat-insensitive A-fiber nociceptors. J Neurosci 21(12):4460-4468, 2001.
- Peng YB, Wu J, Willis WD, Kenshalo D: GABA(A) and 5-HT(3) receptors are involved in dorsal root reflexes: possible role in periaqueductal gray descending inhibition. J Neurophysiol. Jul;86(1):49-58, 2001
- Ruda MA, Ling QD. Hohmann AG, Peng YB and Tachibana T. Neonatal peripheral inflammation alters nociceptive neuronal circuits. Science 289: 628-630, 2000.
- Peng YB, Ringkamp M, Campbell JN, and Meyer RA: Electrophysiological assessment of the cutaneous arborization of A-delta fiber nociceptors. J. Neurophysiol. 82: 1164-1177, 1999.
- Peng YB, Lin Q, and Willis WD: Involvement of protein kinase C in responses of rat dorsal horn neurons to mechanical stimuli and PAG descending inhibition. Exp Brain Res 114: 561-570, 1997.
- Peng YB, Lin Q, and Willis WD: Effects of GABA and glycine antagonists on the activity and PAG-induced inhibition of rat dorsal horn neurons. Brain Res 736: 189-201, 1996.
- Peng YB, Lin Q, and Willis WD: Involvement of Alpha2-adrenoceptors in the periaqueductal gray-induced inhibition of dorsal horn cell activity in rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 278:125-135, 1996.
- Peng YB, Lin Q, and Willis WD. The role of 5-HT3 receptors in periaqueductal gray-induced inhibition of nociceptive dorsal horn neurons in rat. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 276: 116-124, 1996.
- Lin Q, Peng YB and Willis WD: Role of GABA receptor subtypes in inhibition of primate spinothalamic tract neurons: difference between spinal and periaqueductal gray inhibition. J Neurophysiol 75: 109-123, 1996.