If you were not enrolled in a Texas public institution of higher education prior to August 22, 2013 or are not exempt from TSIA 2, you MUST take this exam. Prior TSI exams, older than five years, are no longer accepted.
The purpose of this test is to measure a student’s readiness for college-level course work. The Texas Success Initiative assessment (TSIA 2) Program is mandated by state law and requires all students attending a public institution of higher education to prove they are ready to take entry-level college courses which require reading, writing and math skills. By law, the TSIA 2 Assessment, exemptions, and passing scores are the same at every public institution of higher education in Texas. Please make sure you are prepared to take this TSIA 2 Assessment.
The test is computer-based and must be administered in a proctored environment at a college testing center.
For students who are outside of the DFW area: There are two ways you can take the TSIA 2 some place other than UTA. You may take it at a certified Testing Center as a Remote Administration or you may be able to take it from home through a Virtual Administration.
More information about the TSIA 2 Assessment can be found in the Student Informative Brochure from The College Board.
REGISTER FOR THE TSI ASSESSMENT
You MUST complete the TSIA 2 Pre-Assessment Activity before you schedule your exam. This is required by state law.
Approximate testing time for each section of the TSIA 2 Assessment is two hours. All sections can take up to 5 hours.
Fee: Ranges from $23 to $58 depending on the section(s).
Be sure to bring a valid photo id, such as a clear school id, driver's license, or passport.
REGISTER/SCHEDULE ON THE UTA TESTING SERVICES SCHEDULING SITE. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR 10-DIGIT UTA ID NUMBER TO REGISTER.
Score Report: Due to COVID, our office will not give out copies of score reports. For personal records, score reports can be accessed directly from the Accuplacer website linked here.
TSI SCORES - RELEASE FORM
*** This form is not required if you tested at UTA or used a UTA voucher, as your scores will automatically be received.***
If you took the Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA or TSIA 2) at a Texas college/university or at a Texas high school, please complete the Authorization to Release TSI Scores form. Once your request is processed, you will receive an email from a TSI advisor with your updated TSI status.
Remote means that you need to take the TSIA 2 Assessment at a certified test center that is not UTA because you live more than an hour away from the college and there is a certified Remote Test Center site closer to you.
PLEASE EMAIL TESTING SERVICES (TESTING@UTA.EDU) IN THE EMAIL, BE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME, YOUR MAV ID NUMBER, AND IN THE SUBJECT LINE, NOTE: OUT-OF-STATE/OUT-OF-AREA TESTING FOR TSI. PLEASE ALLOW A 5 DAY ADVANCE NOTICE TO PROCESS ANY TEST ACCESS INFORMATION.
If you have taken the TSIA or TSIA 2 at another testing center:
- If you attended that college, the scores will be transmitted on that college's transcript to UT Arlington.
- If you did not attend the college where you took the TSI Assessment, you may be able to get your scores sent here through completing a TSI Release form or requesting that your test site send Testing Services a copy of your score report via a verifiable email or fax number.
More information about the TSI Assessment can be found in the Student Informative Brochure from The College Board.
VIRTUAL REMOTE TESTING
Virtual Remote means that you need to take the TSIA 2 Assessment online at home or someplace else private because you are not located within 60 miles of a certified open-site test center.
If you decide that virtual proctoring may be the best option for you, please allow 5-7 business days to process your request.
To take a TSI Assessment through a virtual proctor, you will need to complete several steps:
- Check your equipment. Examity system requirements are:
- Desktop computer or laptop (tablets, Chromebook and cell phones do not meet our requirements)
- A working built-in or external webcam and microphone
- Internet speed must be at least 2 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload. Hot spots are not recommended. Test internet speed at: http://www.speedtest.net.
- Browser with pop-up blocker disabled
- If you have any questions or concerns, you can email email@example.com.
- Complete the application form linked here to test at home.
- Complete the online TSIA 2 Pre-Assessment Activity.
- Pay for your TSI exam through UTA. Instructions will be emailed as soon as your request has been processed.
- Once you receive our voucher, book and pay for your proctoring service for the exam through the preferred virtual proctoring vendor.
- When your test is completed, your test session is subject to a 3 day auditing process to ensure test integrity. After your session has been reviewed and approved by the auditor, your scores will be loaded to your MyMav account.