Spanish Translation and Interpreting- Bachelor's (BA)
The Spanish Translation and Interpreting program prepares graduates to become the bilingual and multicultural leaders of tomorrow in public services or private companies. Created to respond to the growing demand of translators and interpreters, our program equips students with the skills and professional opportunities to succeed in their careers. Its curriculum includes medical, business, technical, scientific, legal, and human services translation and interpreting.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The program is oriented toward community translation/interpreting, the kind of language service that enables communication between monolingual Spanish speakers and public services or administration. Students collaborate with companies and nonprofit organizations that serve the Latino community. Students are offered paid/unpaid internships, service learning, volunteering opportunities, and mentoring from both faculty sponsors and community partners. The program provides immersive learning opportunities for students, who receive both classroom instruction and on-site community practice and professionalization. A 120-hour curriculum leads to a Bachelor of Arts in Spanish Translation and Interpreting. Major requirements:
- UTA's general core
- UNIV 1101 or UNIV 1131
- GLOBAL 2301
- SPAN 1441, SPAN 1442, SPAN 2313, SPAN 2314, or SPAN 2315
- SPAN 3305 or SPAN 3314
- SPAN 3315
- SPAN 3316
- SPAN 3340, SPAN 3341, SPAN 4341, SPAN 4342, SPAN 4343, and SPAN 4344.
- General elective hours will be used to complete the total hours required for the degree
- Degree curriculum
- Degree information in the University Catalog
- Modern Languages faculty
- MODL advantage
- Program accreditation
- Interpreter (Court, Medical, Educational, Conference, Business, Guide, etc.)
- Translator (Medical, Legal, Business, Tourism, Localization, Literary, Journalism, Scientific, Audiovisual, Software, etc.)
- Language Teacher and Consultant
- Editor and Proofreader
- Linguistic and Cultural Mediator
- Videogame Tester and Translator
- International Content Creator and Social Media Manager
WHY CHOOSE US?
- UTA ranks among the Top 100 Colleges and Universities for Hispanic Students (Hispanic Outlook on Education)
- UTA has the fifth highest undergraduate ethnic diversity index among national universities (U.S. News & World Report)
- Faculty and staff committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- First and only program of its kind in North Texas
- One of the few existing programs in the nation
- Only program oriented toward community translation and interpreting and service-learning/internships in the nation
- Service-learning opportunities available for all students in the program (Proyecto Inmigrante, Dallas Children's Hospital, etc.)
- Internships available with Teneo, Genesis Women's Shelter and Support, Arlington Police Department, HRI, JPS Healthcare Network, etc.
- All faculty are sworn/certified translators and interpreters
- The four-year graduation rate of Latino students is about 87% for the past three years
- Free writing support at the Spanish Writing Center
- Free conversational practice at La Mesa Española
Take the next step toward investing in yourself by learning more about our Spanish Translation and Interpreting- Bachelor's (BA) program.