Grade Appeal Policy - The Office of Academic Engagement

The procedure for pursuing grievances related to grades described in the undergraduate and graduate catalogs provide that it is the obligation of the student to first make a serious effort to resolve the grade dispute with the student’s instructor. The instructor has primary responsibility for assigning grades, and their judgment is final unless there is evidence of discrimination, preferential (differential) treatment or procedural irregularities. A mere disagreement with the judgment made by the instructor is not a valid basis for an appeal. No grade appeal will be considered one year after a grade is given. Appeals must be made through appropriate channels as described below.

  1. All students must first discuss the grade or academic grievance with the instructor. If the instructor is unavailable, the student may proceed in the appeal process and discuss the matter with the department chairperson responsible for the course for which the grade is being appealed (for UNIV courses this is the Director of Academic Engagement). If unable to reach agreement with the instructor or department chairperson, the student may file a grievance.
  2. The students’ appeal must be submitted in writing. The form is available below. The student must submit the form and any supporting documentation the student wishes to provide to the department chairperson for deliberation. 
  3. If the student is dissatisfied with the chairperson’s decision, they may appeal the case to the Vice Provost for Student Success. The Vice Provost’s decision is final.

Students have one year from the day grades are posted to initiate a grievance concerning a grade including presenting evidence of differential treatment and/or procedural irregularities.

Undergraduate and Graduate Grade Policies and Procedure are available in the university catalog.

Office of Academic Engagement- UNIV Grade Appeal Form


UNIV courses do not offer D's, only A, B, C, F, P, W and Z. Anything 70 and above is considered a C or higher, and anything below a 70 is considered an F. Only the UNIV 1000 course is eligible for a P/F.

Other questions?

If you have any other questions, check out our FAQ page or reach out to us directly by emailing or visiting our contact page!