Emergency Communication System
The University of Texas at Arlington employs a multi-tiered emergency communication system to keep our community informed about emergency situations and rapidly changing conditions, from hazardous weather and campus closures to building emergencies and life-threatening criminal activity.
MavAlert Emergency Notification System
MavAlert keeps the University community informed in the event of a campus emergency by sending early warning text and voice messages to phones, email accounts, and other registered communications devices.
- Students, faculty, and staff should update their phone numbers through MyMav at uta.edu/mymav.
- UTA guests, visitors and others who plan to be on campus may sign up to receive MavAlerts on the guest registration page.
Instructions for students, faculty, and staff
YOU MUST ENTER A MOBILE PHONE NUMBER in your online MyMav record and label it "Mobile" to enable MavAlert emergency notifications via text message.
- Log in to uta.edu/mymav with your regular network ID and password.
- Click on "Sign up for MavAlerts" in the far right column.
- Click on the green “Add a phone number” button.
- Pull the drop down menu under Phone Type to label the number "Mobile."
- Click "Save" to save your mobile phone and enable it for text messaging.
Please note: Students, faculty, and staff may opt out of receiving MavAlert emergency text messages by logging into MyMav at uta.edu/mymav and following the "MavAlert Opt-Out" link in the right column of the page. MavAlert emergency notifications are sent to all uta.edu email addresses.
Outdoor Warning System
This campus-wide loudspeaker system is activated by campus police dispatchers in the event of a life-threatening emergency. The University’s outdoor warning system consists of a combination of chimes and live or prerecorded announcements.
External Media Advisories
To quickly spread essential information, campus closings and emergency notifications are provided to external media including television and radio stations and online news sites.
Emergency Information Hotline
Important information about campus closings and other critical situations is available at 866-258-4913.
Other Emergency Communications
UT Arlington Police
Closings and Urgent Info
(7:45 a.m. – 5:15 p.m.)