Monday, Mar 16, 2020
Dean Scott Ryan
Dear Students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters,
Recently, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19, or coronavirus, a pandemic, which means sadly that this virus has spread all over the world.
UTA President Vistasp Karbhari announced Spring Break has been extended for one week for in-person classes and the University is moving to offer all face-to face classes online until further notice.
All students should begin checking their Canvas accounts for messages from their professors, Dr. Diane Mitschke, SSW Associate Dean for Academic & Student Affairs, academic program directors and the advising and field offices.
I along with the School of Social Work’s faculty and senior leadership will work to mitigate issues and concerns related to this change in instruction mode. We will follow all instructions and guidance from the Office of the President, UTA Information Security Office and outside entities, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state and county health officials regarding COVID-19.
At all times, the health and well-being of our students, staff and faculty is our highest priority. I advise anyone who feels sick or unwell to immediately visit the nearest doctor or medical facility.
For now, all School of Social Work student organization meetings, activities, observances and alumni events that we had scheduled for March and through April 15 are cancelled or postponed until further notice.
We will monitor the situation and decide at a later date on SSW events planned for late April and the remainder of the semester.
For now, these specific events are cancelled or postponed until further notice:
School of Social Work Block Party celebrating Social Work Month – March 19.
School of Social Work Field Agency Day/Job Fair/Research Day/Career Panel/Speaker Event – March 25.
SSW Addiction & Workforce Recovery Symposium – March 25.
Sexual Assault Awareness Month Event – April 1.
Social Work Dean’s Speaker Series Event – April 9.
Please regularly check your emails, Canvas messages and UTA & SSW social media pages (Facebook, Twitter & Instagram) for updated information regarding this matter.
If there are any questions, please let me know or direct them to the appropriate SSW leaders. See SSW COVID-19 FAQs for more information and SSW leaders contact information.
For the latest updates on UTA’s measures related to the coronavirus, please visit www.uta.edu/coronavirus.
Scott D. Ryan, MSW, MBA, Ph.D.
Dean & Professor, School of Social Work
UTA School of Social Work Frequently Asked Questions – COVID-19
Face-to-face classes will be switched to online beginning Monday, March 23. Students enrolled in face-to-face classes should not report to class during the week of March 16-20. Your instructors will communicate with you to ensure that your coursework and learning is uninterrupted. Students enrolled in online courses will resume coursework on March 16 and continue as planned
Not at this time. If alternative assignments or exams are required, instructors will communicate with you. Please check Canvas and your student email.
All face-to-face meetings will be cancelled. Student organizations may hold virtual meetings by using Microsoft Teams.
No. Prospective students may schedule virtual one-on-one admissions information sessions at www.uta.edu/ssw or by contacting an admissions counselor by clicking here.
Please check your email for instructions regarding your field placement.
Advising appointments will be virtual meetings. Students will receive an email about how to schedule a virtual meeting with their academic advisor. MSW students may reach out to their Graduate Student Leader (GSL) with any additional questions.
Face-to-face MSW and BSW Admissions Information Sessions previously scheduled for March 31 and April 1 will convert to online sessions. Prospective students may schedule virtual one-on-one admissions sessions at www.uta.edu/ssw or by contacting an admissions counselor by clicking here.
Prospective students and applicants can use the Live Chat feature on our SSW website (during regular weekday work hours) to speak with a SSW Admissions Counselor/Recruiter.
For contact information, click below:
SSW leaders contact information based on areas of responsibility:
- Dr. Scott Ryan, Dean - email@example.com
- Dr. Debra Woody, Senior Associate Dean & Director of CARS - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Diane Mitschke, Associate Dean for Academic & Student Affairs - email@example.com
- Dr. Zhen Cong, Associate Dean for Research & Ph.D. Program Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Katherine Sanchez, Incoming Associate Dean for Research - email@example.com
- Dr. Regina Praetorius, Director of Graduate Programs - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof. Karen Magruder, Director of Undergraduate Programs - email@example.com
- Dr. Dawnetta Smith, Assistant Dean for Field Education - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Holli Slater, Assistant Dean for Academic & Student Affairs - email@example.com
- Dr. Aaron Hagedorn, Assistant Dean for Research - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Maria Scannapieco, Director of Center for Child Welfare - email@example.com
- Arthur Go, Director of Academic Resource Planning - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nelda Lawson, Manager of Administration & Operations - email@example.com
- Antwan Williams, Manager of Communications, Community Outreach, Admissions, Recruiting & Special Events – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Darlene Santee, Coordinator of Recruiting & Admissions - email@example.com
- Patrice Green, Coordinator of Advising & Student Success – firstname.lastname@example.org