Location: Geoscience Building, Room 107,
500 Yates St., Arlington, TX 76019
Mailing address: P.O. Box 19049
What is Earth and Environmental Science?
Earth and environmental sciences cover all aspects of Earth and planetary sciences, and broadly encompass solid Earth processes, surface and atmospheric dynamics, Earth system history, climate and climate change, marine and freshwater systems, and ecology. Earth science involves the observation, description, and classification of all the Earth’s features, in order to generate hypotheses with which to explain their presence and their development. Environmental science studies environmental problems and human impacts on the environment. Earth and environmental scientists use scientific principles to interpret Earth's history and how the Earth’s system processes affect modern environmental and ecological systems.
The study of the Earth and its environment is highly interdisciplinary and draws heavily from related fields including chemistry, physics, oceanography, ecology, microbiology, botany, mathematics, and engineering.
The UTA Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences (EES) offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree options, all designed to prepare students for careers in any number of industries, as well as research or academia. The department’s faculty focus their teaching and research efforts on the earth’s five spheres: geosphere, biosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, and anthroposphere. Interactions between faculty and students studying different spheres presents opportunities for exciting and rewarding collaborations.
EES DEGREE PROGRAMS
- Bachelor of Science in Geology (Professional option)
- Bachelor of Science in Geology (Environmental Science option)
- Bachelor of Science in Geology (Engineering Geology option)
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Arts in Geology (General option)
- Bachelor of Arts in Geology (Composite Science Teacher Certification option - UTeach Arlington)
- Minor in Geology
- Minor in Data Science
- Master of Science in Earth and Environmental Sciences (Environmental Science - Thesis option)
- Master of Science in Earth and Environmental Sciences (Environmental Science - Non-Thesis option)
- Master of Science in Earth and Environmental Sciences (Environmental Science Professional option)
- Master of Science in Earth and Environmental Sciences (Geoscience - Thesis option)
- Master of Science in Earth and Environmental Sciences (Geoscience - Non-Thesis option)
- Master of Science in Earth and Environmental Sciences (Energy Geoscience Professional option)
- Ph.D. in Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Fast-track B.S. to Ph.D. Program
- Climate and Climate Change
- Environmental Chemistry
- Environmental Geochemistry
- Environmental Health
- Structural Geology and Tectonics