Purnendu (Sandy) Dasgupta
Hamish Small Chair in Ion Analysis
Office: 229 Chemistry and Physics Building (CPB)
Phone: 817 272 3806
B.S. University of Burdwan, WB, India, 1968
M.S. University of Burdwan, WB, India, 1970
Ph.D. Louisiana State University, 1977
A recent recorded talk: SETI Colloquium PerChlorate Talk
Current research in the Dasgupta group include:
Chip-scale instruments, capillary scale liquid chromatography, novel ion exchange polymers, novel detection methods in open tubular liquid chromatography, nanoflowmetry and data transform schemes in chromatography. A major effort is devoted to building a spacefaring liquid/ion chromatograph for NASA. Recent past projects include Iodine nutrition of women and infants and the effects of perchlorate thereon, Development of iodine and Selenium analyzers, Green analysis of arsenic in drinking water, Measurement of cyanide in saliva, blood, and breath towards rapid treatment of cyanide poisoning, Rapid analysis of trace heavy metals in atmospheric aerosol to act as conservative tracers, Absolute Charge detection in solution and its many ramifications.
The research in the Dasgupta lab is targeted towards finding the best solution to a problem and is not married to any specific technique. Laboratory-built instrumentation are as commonly used in conjunction with commercial chromatographs, mass spectrometers, etc. and the former are often preferred. Students are necessarily trained in electronics and computer-interfacing and writing appropriate instrument control/data acquisition software. We foster builders, not users.
Purnendu K. (Sandy) Dasgupta is a native of India and was educated in a college founded by Irish missionaries where he got his bachelor’s degree with honors in Chemistry and was recognized as a National Science talent Search Scholar. During his M.Sc. in Inorganic Chemistry from the University of Burdwan, he was selected as an Atomic Energy Commission of India Graduate Fellow and worked for a year as research scholar at the Department of Physical Chemistry at the Indian Association for Cultivation of Science, the same laboratories once graced by Raman. His education and experience continued to be varied. He came to Louisiana State University at Baton Rouge as a graduate student in early 1973 and began studies in electrochemistry. He switched to research on environmental analysis under Professor Philip W West and received his PhD in 1977 in analytical chemistry with a minor in electrical engineering. Meanwhile he also received a diploma as a TV mechanic. He worked for a year as a researcher and instructor at LSU following his PhD and then joined the University of California at Davis as an Aerosol Research Chemist at the California Primate Research Center, doing studies on air pollution toxicology while teaching air and water chemistry as an Adjunct Assistant Professor in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. In 1981 he joined Texas Tech and named a Horn Professor in 1992, named after the first president of the University, the youngest person to be so honored at the time. He remained at Texas Tech for 25 years, joining the University of Texas at Arlington in 2007 as the Chair and Jenkins Garrett Professor.
He has authored more than 450 papers and book chapters, etc. and holds over 30 US patents, including one on electrodialytic reagent generation technology on which current ion chromatography is based. His recent recognitions include Distinguished Lectureship, University of Texas at Dallas, Chemistry and Biochemistry Student Association (2019), American Chemical Society Award in Chemical Instrumentation (2018), Texas Distinguished Scientist, Texas Academy of Science, (2018), Talanta Gold Medal Award in Analytical Chemistry (2017), Giorgio Nota Medal for Lifetime Contributions to Open Tubular Liquid Chromatography (2017), Top ten “Landmark Literature” papers in analytical sciences, Analytical Scientist (2017, 2018), Eastern Analytical Symposium. Fields Award in Analytical Chemistry (2016), Metroplex Technology Business Council. Tech Titans Technology Inventor Award (2016), Elected honorary member, Japan Society for Analytical Chemistry (2015), J. Calvin Giddings Award in Chemical Education, American Chemical Society (2015), Elected Fellow, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), (2015). Previous awards include the ACS Award in Chromatography.
He has been the William J. Probst Lecturer of Southern Illinois University in 2001, Royal Australian Chemistry Institute roving analytical chemistry lecturer in 2003 and Miegunyah Fellow at the University of Melbourne in in 2007, Barton-Karcher-Fetterman Lecturer at the University of Oklahoma in 2008 and the Foster Lecturer at the University at Buffalo in 2010.
He served as the Editor of Analytica Chimica Acta, a major international journal in analytical chemistry for 14 years. The present flagship project in the lab is building an ion chromatograph for use in extraterrestrial exploration.
Publications (last 6 years)
Indicates PhD Student,† MS Student,‡ Undergraduate Student,§ High School student⊥
(Publications are available in electronic format by request for personal use, subject to copyright regulations)
444. Attenuation Coefficients of Tubular Conduits for Liquid Phase Absorbance Measurement. Shot Noise-limited Optimum Pathlength. Dasgupta, P. K.; Qin, C.;† Shelor, C. P.; Kadjo, A. F.; Su, J.; Kraiczek, K. G.; Marshall, G. D. Anal. Chem., 2019, 91, 9481-9489 doi:10.1021/acs.analchem. ac19000067n
443. Ion Exchange Membranes in Ion Chromatography and Related Applications. Dasgupta, P. K.; Maleki, F.† Talanta, 2019, 204, 89-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2019.05.077
442. Inline Flow Sensor for Ventriculoperitoneal Shunts: Experimental Evaluation in Swine. Qin, C.;† Olivencia-Yurvati, A. H.; Williams, A. G., Jr.; Eskildsen, D.;† Mallet, R. T.; Dasgupta, P. K. Med. Engg. Phys. 2019, 67, 66-72. doi:10.1016/j.medengphy.2019.03.010
441. Carbonic Acid Eluent Ion Chromatography. Sricharoen, P.;† Limchoowong, N.;† Shelor, C. P.; Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2019, 91, 3636-3644 doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.8b05627
440. Direct Photothermal Measurement of Optical Absorption in a Flow System. Chouhan, B.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2019, 91, 2923-2931 doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.8b05091
439. Capillary Scale Admittance and Conductance Detection. Huang, W.; Chouhan, B.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2018, 90, 14,561-14,568. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.8b04561
438. Low-bleed Silica-based Stationary Phase for Hydrophilic Interaction Liquid Chromatography. Qian, K.; Yang, Z.; Zhang, F.; Yang, B.; Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2018, 90, 8750-8755. https://doi.org//10.1021/acs.analchem.8b01796
437. Characterization of Ion Exchange Functionalized Cyclic Olefin Polymer Open Tubular Columns. Huang, W.; Seetasang, S.†; Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chim. Acta 2018, 1036, 187-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2018.06.063
436. Ion Exchange Column Capacities. Predicting Retention Behavior of Open Tubular Columns Coated with the Same Phase. Huang, W.; Pohl, C. A.; Dasgupta, P. K. J. Chromatogr A 2018, 1550, 75-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2018.03.056
435. Flow-Cell-induced Dispersion in Flow-through Absorbance Detection Systems. True Column Effluent Peak Variance. Dasgupta, P. K.; Shelor, C. P.; Kadjo, A. F.:† Kraiczek, K. G. Anal. Chem., 2018, 90, 2063-2069. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.7b04248 Selected as one of the top 10 Landmark Literature papers of the year by the Analytical Scientist magazine. See https://theanalyticalscientist.com/fileadmin/tas/pdf-versions/TAS_0119_Issue_.pdf p32
434. Continuous Measurement of Elemental Composition of Ambient Aerosol by Induction-Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry. Mishra, S. K.†; Chattopadhyay, B.; Kadjo, A. F.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Talanta, 2018, 177, 197-202. doi:10.1016/j.talanta.2017.07.064.
433. Automated Programmable Preparation of Carbonate-Bicarbonate Eluents for Ion Chromatography with Pressurized Carbon Dioxide. Shelor, C. P.; Yoshikawa, K.; Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2017, 89, 10,063-10,070. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.7b02808†
432. In-line Shunt Flow Monitor for Hydrocephalus. Qin, C.;† Stamos, B. N.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2017, 89, 8170-8176. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.7b02034
431. Admittance Scanning for Whole Column Detection. Stamos, B. N.†; Dasgupta, P. K.; Ohira, S.-I. Anal. Chem., 2017, 89, 7203-7209. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.7b01412 Selected as one of the top 10 Landmark Literature papers of the year by the Analytical Scientist magazine. See https://theanalyticalscientist.com/issues/0118/landmark-literature-part-i/
430. Automated Programmable Pressurized Carbonic Acid Eluent Ion Exclusion Chromatography of Organic Acids. Shelor, C. P.; Dasgupta, P. K. J. Chromatogr A 2017, 1523, 300-308. doi:10.1016/j.chroma.2017.05.036
429. Width Based Characterization of Chromatographic Peaks. Beyond Height and Area. Kadjo, A. F.;† Liao, H.;†Dasgupta, P. K.; Kraiczek, K. G. Anal. Chem., 2017, 89, 3893-3900. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.6b04858
428. Width Based Quantitation of Chromatographic Peaks. Principles and Principal Characteristics. Kadjo, A. F.;† Dasgupta, P. K.; Su, J.; Liu, S. Y.;† Kraiczek, K. G. Anal. Chem., 2017, 89, 3884-3892. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.6b04857
427. Matrix Isolation with an Ion Transfer Device for Interference-Free Simultaneous Spectrophotometric Determinations of Hexavalent and Trivalent Chromium in A Flow-Based System. Ohira, S. I.; Nakamura, K.; Chiba, M.; Dasgupta, P. K.; Toda, K. Talanta, 2017, 164, 145-150. doi:10.1016/j.talanta.2016.08.079
426. Conductometric Gradient Ion Exclusion Chromatography for Volatile Fatty Acids. Shelor, C. P.; Dasgupta, P. K.; Liao, H.† Anal. Chem., 2016, 88, 12,323-12,329. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.6b03519
425. Electrodialytic Capillary Suppressor for Open Tubular Ion Chromatography. Huang, W.; Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2016, 88, 12,021-12,027. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.6b03667
424. Functionalized Cycloolefin Polymer Capillaries for Open Tubular Ion Chromatography. Huang, W.; Seetasang, S.;† Azizi, M.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2016, 88, 12,013-12,020. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.6b03669
423. Evaluation of Amount of Blood in Dry Blood Spots. Ring Disk Electrode Conductometry. Kadjo, A. F.;† Stamos, B. N.;† Shelor, C. P.; Berg, J. M.; Blount, B. C. Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2016, 88, 6531-6537. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.6b01280
422. Water ICE. Ion Exclusion Chromatography of Very Weak Acids with a Pure Water Eluent. Liao, H.;† Shelor, C. P.; Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2016, 88, 4965-4970. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.6b00902
421. Polyvinyl Alcohol Modified Porous Graphitic Carbon Stationary Phase for Hydrophilic Interaction Liquid Chromatography. Hou, Y.; Zhang, F.; Liang, F.; Yang, B. C.; Liu, X.; Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2016, 88, 4676-4681. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.5b04384
420. Permeative Amine Introduction for Very Weak Acid Detection in Ion Chromatography. Liao, H.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2016, 88, 2198–2204. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.5b03836
419. Transient Ion-Pair Separations for Electrospray Mass Spectrometry. Liu, H.; Lam, L.; Chi, B., Kadjo, A. F.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem., 2016, 88, 2059–2064. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.5b03202
418. Sampling Frequency, Response Times and Embedded Signal Filtration in Fast, High Efficiency Liquid Chromatography: A Tutorial. Wahab, M. F.; Dasgupta, P. K.; Kadjo, A. F.;† Armstrong, D. W. Anal. Chim. Acta. 2016, 907, 31-44. doi:10.1016/j.aca.2015.11.043
417. Simultaneous Electrodialytic Preconcentration and Speciation of Chromium(III) and Chromium(VI). Ohira, S.-I., Nakamura, K.; Shelor, C. P.; Dasgupta, P. K.; Toda, K. Anal. Chem., 2015, 87, 11575–11580. doi: 10.1021/acs.analchem.5b03464
416. A Fast, Accurate, Speciation-Capable, Automated, and Green Gas-Phase Chemiluminescence Approach for Analyzing Waterborne Arsenic. Ghosh, A. K.; Das, A. N.; Dasgupta, P. K. LC.GC 2015, 33(10), 10–17. http://www.chromatographyonline.com/fast-accurate-speciation-capable-automated-and-green-gas-phase-chemiluminescence-approach-analyzing
415. Conductance or Admittance? Zhang. M.; Dasgupta, P. K. Q&More. Issue 215, October 2015.
414. Concurrent High-Sensitivity Conductometric Detection of Volatile Weak Acids in a Suppressed Anion Chromatography System. Liao, H.;† Kadjo, A. F.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem. 2015, 87, 8342-8346. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.5b01523
413. Micro Ion Extractor for Single Drop Whole Blood Analysis. Nakamura, Y.; Maeda, S.; Nishiyama, H.; Ohira, S.-I.; Dasgupta, P. K.; Toda, K. Anal. Chem. 2015, 87, 6483-6486. doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.5b01681
412. Direct Addition of Chromogenic Agents to Blood Cannot Rapidly Determine Cyanide Bound to Methemoglobin. Comment on Rapid visual Detection of Blood Cyanide. Kadjo, A. F.;† Dasgupta, P. K.; Boss, G. R. Anal. Meth. 2015, 7, 5707-5711 doi: 10.1039/C4AY00190G
411. Enigmatic Ion-Exchange Behavior of myo-Inositol Phosphates. Shelor, C. P.; Liao, H.;† Kadjo, A. F.;†Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem. 2015, 87, 4851-4855 doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.5b00351
410. Nonlinear Absorbance Amplification Using a Diffuse Reflectance Cell: Total Organic Carbon Monitoring at 214 nm. Li, Y.-H.; Shelor, C. P.; Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem. 2015, 87, 1111-1117 doi:10.1021/ac503810z.
409. Mixing Characteristics of Mixers in Flow Analysis. Application to Two-Dimensional Detection in Ion Chromatography. Liao, H.;† Dasgupta, P. K.; Srinivasan, K.; Liu, Y. Anal. Chem. 2015, 87, 793-800 doi: 10.1021/ac0308076.)
408. On-line Electrodialytic Matrix Isolation of Organic Acids in Wine for Chromatographic Determination. Ohira, S.-I.. Kuhara, K.; Shigetomi, A.; Yamasaki, T.; Kodama, Y.; Dasgupta, P. K. Toda, K. J. Chromatogr. A 2014, 1372, 18-24. doi:10.1016/j.chroma.2014.10.077
407. An Open Tubular Ion Chromatograph. Yang, B. C.; Zhang, M.; Kanyanee, T.; Stamos, B. N.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem. 2014, 86, 11,554-11,561 doi: 10.1021/ac503249t.
406. Admittance Detection in High Impedance Systems. Design and Applications. Zhang, M.; Stamos, B. N.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem. 2014, 86, 11,547-11,553 doi: 10.1021/ac503247g
405. Capillary Scale Admittance Detection. Zhang, M.; Stamos, B. N.;† Amornthammarong, N.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem. 2014, 86, 11,538-11,546 doi: 10.1021/ac503245a
404. Electrodialytic Matrix Isolation for Metal Cations. Ohira, S.-I.; Hiroyama, Y.; Nakamura, K.; Koda, T.; Dasgupta, P. K.; Toda, K. Talanta 2014, 132, 228-233. doi:/10.1016/j.talanta.2014.09.013
403. Expanding the Linear Dynamic Range for Quantitative Liquid Chromatography-High Resolution Mass Spectrometry Utilizing Natural Isotopologue Signals. Liu, H.; Lam, L.; Yan, L.; Chi, B. Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chim. Acta 2014, 850, 65-70. doi: 10.1016/j.aca.2014.07.039.
402. Electrochemical Arsine Generators for Arsenic Determination. Shen, H.; Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chem. 2014, 86, 7705-7711. doi: 10.1021/ac501636u
401. What Can In-Situ Ion Chromatography Offer for Mars Exploration? Shelor, C. P.; Dasgupta, P. K.; Aubrey, A.; Davila, A. F.; Lee, M. C.: McKay, C. P.; Liu, Y.; Noell, A. C. Astrobiology, 2014, 14, 577-588. doi: 10.1089/ast.2013.1131
400. Light Emitting Diodes in Analytical Chemistry. Macka, M.; Piasecki, T.;† Dasgupta, P. K. Ann Rev. Anal. Chem. 2014, 7, 183-207. doi: 10.1146/annurev-anchem-071213-020059
399. Formaldehyde Content of Atmospheric Aerosol. Toda, K.; Yunoki, S.; Yanaga, A.; Takeuchi, M.; Ohira, S. I.; Dasgupta, P. K. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2014, 48, 6636-6643. doi:10.1021/es500590e
398. Cavity-Enhanced Absorption Measurements Across Broad Absorbance and Reflectivity Ranges. Dasgupta, P. K., Bhawal, R.; Li, Y.-H. Anal. Chem. 2014, 86, 3727-3734. doi:10.1021/ac404251w
397. Speciation and Detection of Arsenic in Aqueous Samples: A Review of Recent Progress in Non-Atomic Spectrometric Methods. Ma, J.; Sengupta, M. K.; Yuan, D.-X. Dasgupta, P. K. Anal. Chim. Acta 2014, 831, 1-23. doi:10.1016/j.aca.2014.04.029
HONORS AND AWARDS
University of Texas at Dallas. Chemistry and Biochemistry Student Association Distinguished Lecturer, 2019.
American Chemical Society Award in Chemical Instrumentation, 2018
Texas Academy of Science, Texas Distinguished Scientist Award, 2018
Talanta Gold Medal Award in Analytical Chemistry, 2017.
Giorgio Nota Medal for Lifetime Contributions to Open Tubular Liquid Chromatography, 2017.
Top ten “Landmark Literature” papers in analytical sciences, Analytical Scientist, 2017.
Analytical Scientist Biennial Power List, 2017
Eastern Analytical Symposium. Fields Award in Analytical Chemistry, 2016.
Metroplex Technology Business Council. Tech Titans Technology Inventor Award, 2016.
Analytical Scientist Biennial Power List, 2015
Elected honorary member, Japan Society for Analytical Chemistry, 2015.
J. Calvin Giddings Award in Chemical Education, American Chemical Society, 2015
Elected Fellow, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2015
University of Texas at Arlington. Elected to Academy of Distinguished Scholars, 2013.
Fulbright Scholar, University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland, 2013.
Brown-Williamson Lecturer, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, 2012.
Southwest Region American Chemical Society Award, 2012
Wilfred T. Doherty Award for Chemical Research, Dallas-Ft. Worth Section of American Chemical Society, 2012.
The Senate of the State of Texas Honor Proclamation 350, 2012.
Delaware Valley Chromatography Forum, Stephen Dal Nogare Award in Chromatography, 2012: Pittcon 2012, Orlando, FL.
American Chemical Society National Award in Chromatography, 2011.
Distinguished Record of Research Award, The University of Texas at Arlington, 2010.
Purnendu K. Dasgupta Graduate Award in Analytical Chemistry established at Texas Tech University. Funded by proceeds from Dasgupta patents donated to TTU and by former students and friends, 2009.
Purnendu K. Dasgupta Lecture Series, endowed by former students, colleagues and friends, established at Texas Tech University. 2009. Inaugural Lecturer: Royce W. Murray, Member, NAS. Editor, Analytical Chemistry
Foster Lecturer, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY. 2009
Conference Uber Ionenanalyses, Conference Award, Berlin, 2009.
Karcher Lecturer. University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK. 2008.
Japan Society of Flow Analysis, Honor Medal, 2008.
Miegunyah Lecturer, The University of Melbourne, Australia. 2007.
Best Science Paper of 2005, Environmental Science and Technology, Editor’s Award, 2006.
Outstanding Achievement Award in Ion Chromatography, 2005.
Most Accessed Paper in Environmental Science and Technology published in 2005.
Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Foundation, Scientist of the Year, 2004-2005.
Elected IEEE Senior Member, 2003.
Governor’s Appointee: Texas Emission Reductions Program Advisory Board, 2002-.
Governor’s Appointee: Texas Council of Environmental Science and Technology, 2002-.
William J. Probst Lecturer, Southern Illinois University, IL. 2001.
Inducted Honorary Member, Korean Society for Environmental Analysis, 2001.
A. A. Benedetti-Pichler Memorial Award, American Microchemical Society, 1998.
Barney E. Rushing, Jr. 1990 Faculty Distinguished Research Award, Texas Tech University Dads and Moms Association, 1991.
Outstanding Achievement Award in Ion Chromatography, 1989.
P. A. Traylor Creativity Award, Analytical Sciences, Dow Chemical, Midland, MI, 1989.
Institute Medal, Institute of Industrial Sciences, University of Tokyo, 1987.
American Chemical Society Environmental Chemistry Division. Certificate Of Merit Award for Best Presented Paper, American Chemical Society National Meeting, Atlanta, 1981.
Frank R. Blood Award for best publication, Society of Toxicology and Pharmacology, 1981.
 These two are two separate papers.