Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When are the deadlines for applying for admission?
A: See the Application Page.
Please Note: Applicants are typically only admitted in the Fall semesters. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply before the preferred application deadline date. Deadlines for scholarship consideration and financial aid consideration are earlier than the admission deadline. Application processing requires time to evaluate credentials, address admission issues, and review data. Submitting credentials significantly past the preferred deadline date may impede the student's eligibility to register for classes.

Q: How much does it cost to submit an application?

A: The application costs $75 for domestic students and $90 for international students.

Q: Will you waive the application fee?

A: Applicants may contact the Graduate Recruiting Office to request an application fee waiver: 

Q: What is the University of Texas at Arlington Institution code for ETS?

A: Institution code = 6013.
*Note: You only need to submit official scores one time. All scores reported from ETS go to the Graduate School, not the Department. The Department will receive a copy from the Graduate School.

Q: What if I don't meet the requirements for unconditional admission?

A: If applicants do not meet a majority of standards for unconditional admission, they may be considered for probationary admission after careful examination of their application materials. Probationary admission may require that the applicant receive a B or better in at least their first 9 hours of graduate coursework applicable to their degree being sought at UTA, taking additional English courses, and/or deficiency courses as required.

Q: How long does it take to process an application?

A: From the time that the application is complete, processing takes approximately 21 business days. The time it takes to process an application can vary depending upon how much time there is before the next semester starts. You may review your application status online in MyMav.

Q: How do my recommenders send a letter of recommendation?

A: Letters of recommendation can be sent directly to

After you submit your application through ApplyUTA, it is the applicant’s responsibility to contact their recommenders to have a letter sent on their behalf. There will be no electronic request form sent to your recommenders.

Q: What is the status of my application?

A: You can check the application of your status online using your MyMav account.

Q: Do I need a master's degree in chemistry to be in the Ph.D. Program?

A: No, you may apply to the Ph.D. program without a master's degree in chemistry.

Q: Does the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry evaluate applications as they come in, or all at once?

A: As they come in. The application must be in the "Completed" status in the application process before an application will be reviewed. The Departmental Graduate Recruiting Committee meets on a regular basis to evaluate files. For the most part, files are evaluated as they are completed, but sometimes there is a backlog and it may take several weeks after completion to review the files. It is to your advantage to complete and submit application materials well before the deadline.

Q: Do I choose a research professor before I come?

A: No, research professors are chosen at the end of the first semester that a new student is here once grades have been received

Q: What kind of financial support does the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry offer?

A: Students entering the Ph.D. program typically receive financial support in the form of a Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA), which currently starts at $25,000 per year. Ph.D. students are provided with tuition assistance, covering 100% of the costs for UTA's tuition. Furthermore, health coverage is 100% included in the package. Please note, Texas does not impose a state income tax. To maintain eligibility for financial support, students must remain in good academic standing, maintaining a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

It's important to note that students enrolling for a master’s degree do not qualify for tuition assistance support or health insurance. 

Q: Is this enough money to live in Arlington?

A: For one of the largest cities in the United States, the cost of living in Arlington is low. Tuition is covered at 100% by the school and Texas as no state income tax. As a student, you also do not pay social security taxes. Consequently, you can live relatively comfortably on your stipend.

Q: Is health insurance required?

Health insurance for Ph.D. students is fully covered at 100%. It's important to emphasize that this health insurance coverage is applicable exclusively to students enrolled in the Ph.D. program; unfortunately, students pursuing master's degrees are not eligible for this benefit.

A: For international students: All international students are required to have health insurance coverage provided by the University. While there is an option to opt out, having health insurance is mandatory for international Ph.D. students.

For domestic students: Health insurance options are available through the Office of Talent, Culture and Engagement. Domestic students also have the choice to secure their own health insurance as mandated by federal laws.

Q: Does UTA or the Department cover the cost of health insurance?

A: Yes, health insurance for Ph.D. students is fully covered at 100%.

Q: What are the various statistics on the number of offers of Ph.D. assistantships you make each semester?

A: We typically admit approximately 18-23 B.S.-Ph.D. or Ph.D. track students with support each fall semester.

Q: I have a question that has not been answered by the information posted above.

A: If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our Graduate Program Coordinator, Stephanie Henry, by email at