Financial Aid

Grant/Scholarship Information for Single Mothers and Fathers

Grant is a broad term that refer to the various ways the U.S. government redistributes resources to eligible recipients. This webpage delves into various types of grants for single moms in the United States.

FAFSA Process

All students wishing to receive federal and state financial aid must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please include UTA's school code (003656) so we may receive your information.

Beware of scams and companies who ask for money to complete the FAFSA. The application is always free and is found on the Federal Student Aid website.

The 2021-2022 priority date to qualify for maximum state and institutional grant funding at UTA was January 15, 2021. There is no deadline for submission to qualify for federal student loans or the Federal Pell Grant.

Please utilize the chart below to help determine which FAFSA you need to complete.

Enrollment Period Required FAFSA Required Tax Information
May 19, 2021 - May 11, 2022 2021-2022 FAFSA 2019 Federal Income Tax Information
May 18, 2020 - May 15, 2021 2020-2021 FAFSA 2018 Federal Income Tax Information

Dependency status is not based on your living situation or your financial status with your parents. You are considered to be a dependent student for FAFSA purposes if you:

  • Are under 24 years old
  • Are not a graduate or professional student
  • Are not a veteran or member of the armed forces
  • Are not an orphan or ward of the court
  • Are not homeless or at risk for becoming homeless
  • Are not an emancipated minor

If you are a dependent student and your parents are divorced or separated:

  • Use the information of the parent whom you lived with the most during the past 12 months.
  • If you did not live with either parent or you lived with them equally, use the information of the parent who provided you with the most financial support during the past 12 months.
  • If the parent for whom you provide information is remarried, then you must also provide your stepparent's information.
  • It does not matter which parent claims you as a dependent on your taxes.

Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA)

Legislation enacted grants resident status for tuition purposes to certain non-resident students. SB1528/HB1403 students are not eligible for federal funds and therefore cannot complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

An alternate form, the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA), is available at for SB1528/HB1403 students to apply for need-based state funds. Copies are also available in our office for pick-up. ;

Check Out TASFA