Information About Driver’s License:
International students who do plan on driving in the US must obtain a valid driver’s license. Students can apply at the Department of Public Safety (DPS). Students must have access to a car, car insurance, knowledge of driving regulations and testable driving skills to obtain your license. You must provide your own vehicle for taking the test.
In order to receive a Texas Driver’s License please take the following steps:
- Study Texas drivers laws and regulations. The guidebook can be viewed online here: http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-57.pdf this is available in both English and Spanish and is also available at DPS.
- Take the written and in-car exam. There is a $11 fee for the test, which is valid for 3 attempts over the course of 90 days.
- Pay $25 for your Driver’s License
- Present the following documents to DPS to apply for your license:
- Passport, I-20 or DS-2019
- Current enrollment letter
- Completed application- http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-14A.pdf
- Two proofs of address, typically a lease, piece of mail, any bills. Please ensure that your name on these documents match both other documents and your passport.
- Valid social security card- If you do not have a social security card you can fill out a “Social Security Affidavit” at the DPS office while completing your application