Travel Information

Please remember that OIE processing time can take up to 7 business days (especially during peak times such as August or December)

Students are only eligible for a travel endorsement if OIE can verify that they will be eligible to enroll in the following semester. If you are currently on academic probation, you will need to wait for grades to post before we can sign for travel.

Electronic Sending of I-20 Forms: All relevant government agencies accept an emailed I-20, so there is no need to arrange shipping or to pick up an original copy. See here for more information about this guidance.

  • If you are completing your program, it is important to know travel during the grace period is not allowed.

  • If you are applying for OPT, you should wait until the OPT is approved and you have the EAD card before traveling.

  • If you are starting a new program, you should use the I-20 for the new program to re-enter the U.S.

  • If you are not planning to do OPT or start a new program, you should make plans to remain outside the U.S. once you leave (within the 60-day grace period). You cannot leave and then re-enter in F-1 status.

Request for Travel Endorsement

To request a travel endorsement on the I-20 please click on the "REQUEST FOR TRAVEL ENDORSEMENT EFORM IN GLOBALMAVS" button below

Request for Travel Endorsement EFORM IN GLOBALMAVS


 If you have applied early for OPT and have already received your EAD card, there are 5 items to carry when traveling internationally:
  1. Valid Passport
  2. Valid Visa
  3. Travel endorsement on page 2 of the I-20 (only valid for 6 months while on OPT)
  4. EAD card
  5. Offer letter or letter of continued employment

Automatic Visa Revalidation allows F and J status holders to visit Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands (other than Cuba) for a short period of time (less than 30 days) and re-enter the U.S. with an expired visa. 

Students can find details for eligibility and procedures at the CBP website here and at the U.S. Department of State website here.

It is important to review all eligibility requirements before traveling under these conditions. Please note that you are not eligible for Automatic Visa Revalidation if you apply for a visa during your stay and are denied.

Your spouse and/or children must also have their I-20s properly endorsed for travel. The same provisions discussed above also apply to dependents, as our ability to sign their I-20s is based on the person in F-1 status.