Change of Status: F-1 to F-2

Who Qualifies/Eligibility

A change of non-immigrant status from F-1 to F-2 may be requested when the applicant:

  1. No longer has the ability or wishes to maintain F-1 status
  2. Has a spouse in valid F-1 status

Consultation with an International Education Advisor during advising hours is recommended to verify eligibility. To schedule an appointment for immigration advising, please click on the button below:

Immigration Advising

Follow the steps below

To begin the process of changing status, turn in the following documents to the Office of International Education:

  • USCIS form: I-539
  • Change of Status form
  • USCIS Fee: A money order or check for $455 payable to USCIS ($370 filing fee, $85 biometrics service fee). There is an additional $85 biometrics fee for each additional person included in the application.
  • I-94: Copy of both sides of the I-94 for the applicant and the applicant's F-1 spouse
  • Passport: Copy of identity page, showing the expiration date for the applicant and the applicant's F-1 spouse
  • Visa: Copy of visa page for applicant and the applicant's F-1 spouse
  • Funding: It is necessary to show sufficient funds for one year of F-1 expenses, plus additional dependent expenses
  • Proof of Current Status:
  1. Applicant's current I-20
  2. Copy of marriage certificate. If this is not in English, please provide an English translation

Please allow up to 7 business days for processing. When the I-20 is ready, an International Education Advisor will contact you to set an appointment. At the appointment, you will:

  1. Sign your new SEVIS I-20.
  2. Provide any additional documentation requested by the International Education Advisor.
  3. Ask any questions you may have about the Change of Status process.

After the appointment, the International Education Advisor will mail the Change of Status application to USCIS for adjudication. Processing time at USCIS can be lengthy and unpredictable. Students will be notified when their documents have been returned.


Dependants in F-2 status are not eligible to accept employment at any time.