Change of Status: F-2 to F-1

Who Qualifies/Eligibility

A change of non-immigrant status from F-2 to F-1 may be requested when the applicant:

  1. Is the dependent of a student in valid F-1 status.
  2. Has been admitted to an academic degree program at U.T. Arlington.

Consultation with an International Education Advisor during advising hours is recommended to verify eligibility. To schedule an appointment for immigration advising, please click on the button below:

Immigration Advising

Follow the steps below

To begin the process of changing status, turn in the following documents to the Office of International Education:

  • USCIS form: I-539
  • Change of Status form
  • USCIS Fee: A money order or check for $470 payable to USCIS for paper filing or $420 for filing online.
  • I-94:Copy of both sides of the I-94 for both the F-1 and F-2
  • Passport: Copy of identity page for both the F-1 and F-2, showing the expiration dates
  • Visa: Copy of visa page for both the F-1 and the F-2
  • Funding: It is necessary to show one year's worth of funding for the change of status applicant
  • Proof of Current Status:
  1. Marriage certificate, if the F-2 is the spouse of the F-1. If this is in a foreign language, an English translation must be attached.
  2. F-1's current I-20.

Please allow up to 7 business days for processing. When the I-20 is ready, an International Education Advisor will email you an electronic copy of your I-20. After you receive the I-20, you will need to:

  • Print and sign your new I-20
  • Pay the SEVIS fee here.
  • Ask any questions you may have about the Change of Status process.

After you have gathered all of the required documents for the change of status application, the student is responsible for mailing the application to USCIS for adjudication. Processing time at USCIS can be lengthy and unpredictable. Please visit for forms, instructions and where to file.


An application to change status does not result in a visa. If you leave the U.S. and intend to reenter in F-1 status, you must request an F-1 visa at the U.S. Consulate before you return to the U.S.