The UT System has established criteria in which an international student can request a waiver from the UT-SHIP by providing proof of alternative insurance coverage. In order to be approved a waiver, your alternative insurance coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the UT System regulation and be PPACA compliant.
Waivers must be submitted online and approved each semester to have the insurance charge removed from your student account.
Criteria to submit a waiver request, must meet one of the following:
- Sponsored Plan (US Government, Foreign Government, Embassy)
a. Must guarantee payment of all health care expenses in writing
b. Must be ACA compliant
- UT Employee Group Health Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Employer Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Individual Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- Enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs
If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternative health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- The mandatory coverage period of May 15,2023 through August 14, 2023.
- Unlimited maximum on benefits (Provides the Essential Minimum Benefits with no annual limits)
- Contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.
- Deductible that does not exceed $500 per condition (accident or illness)
- Covers 100% of Preventative Care as defined by the PPACA
- Imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness.
- Must be Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) compliant. *These requirements are non-negotiable.
- Short Term Limited Duration Plans or other health plans created expressly for the purpose of providing coverage to international students and/or non-immigrant visa holders do not meet the requirements for Health Care Coverage described.