Our mission is to support your academic success by providing excellent health care and promoting wellness. Whether you are new to the University as a freshman, transfer, international or graduate student or have been on campus for a while, we hope you will find your health and wellness needs met at UTA Health Services.
Incoming students who are new to the institution and students returning after an absence of at least one fall or spring semester who are under age 22 on the first day of the term are required to submit documentation of immunization against bacterial meningitis. Incoming international students are encouraged to receive their vaccination in their home country in order to meet the deadline for providing documentation of vaccination. All documents must be submitted in English.
Students who fail to meet this requirement may be dropped from courses or prevented from subsequent enrollment.
The deadline to submit your meningitis vaccination/exemption for the following terms are:
- For Spring 2023, the deadline is January 6, 2023.
- For Summer 2023, the deadline is May 25, 2023.
- For Fall 2023, the deadline is August 10, 2023.
Please note that the meningitis vaccination is not required if you are taking online-only courses. However, you will be required to submit documentation of vaccination before attending on-campus courses and/or before moving into on-campus housing. If you are planning to live in University housing, please review information specific to housing contract requirements.
State law mandates that the following students be vaccinated against the bacterial meningitis:
- First-time college students
- Students transferring from another institution
- Students who are re-enrolling following an absence of at least one fall or spring semester
- Students previously or currently enrolled exclusively in UT Arlington online courses who enroll in a UT Arlington in-seat course in subsequent sessions
- Individuals under age 22 who plan to audit a course
Where to Get the Bacterial Meningitis Vaccine:
The bacterial meningitis vaccine is available in our immunization clinic for $143. An appointment is required. If you have private health insurance, you may be able to file a claim for reimbursement with your insurance provider afterward. Please contact your insurance plan administrator for further guidance.
Tarrant County Public Health has a limited supply of subsidized meningitis vaccine doses intended for low-income, uninsured students. Availability varies by clinic site and demand. Please contact a clinic in your area to determine whether subsidized meningitis vaccine is available. Visit Tarrant County Health for a list of public health clinics or call 817-321-4700.
Dallas County Health and Human Services also offers subsidized meningitis vaccine to students 19 and older. Supplies are limited. For more information, please call 214-819-2162 or visit Dallas County Immunizations for a list of clinics and phone numbers.
You can also contact your primary care provider to determine if their office administers the vaccine and ask for pricing.
For more information on bacterial meningitis, including signs, symptoms and how it spreads, visit CDC Bacterial Meningitis
TB SCREENING REQUIREMENT
All incoming international students who are new to UTA are required to complete TB screening prior to attending classes on campus. Health Services accepts both T-Spot and Quantiferon Gold blood tests completed in the United States within the last 12 months. Mantoux/PPD/Tuberculin (TB) skin test results are not accepted.
TB Screening Requirements
Tuberculosis (TB) is caused by a bacterium called Mycobacterium tuberculosis. TB bacteria are spread through the air from one person to another. The bacteria usually attack the lungs, but TB bacteria can attack any part of the body such as the kidney, spine, and brain. Not everyone infected with TB bacteria becomes sick. As a result, two TB-related conditions exist: latent TB infection (LTBI) and TB disease. If not treated properly, TB disease can be fatal.Learn More
TB testing conducted at UTA Health Services after January 1, 2023 is covered by UT SHIP. If TB test results are positive, a chest x-ray is required to be cleared for classes.
For students that waive UT SHIP, the cost for TB testing is $66 and the cost for the chest x-ray is $59 at UTA Health Services.
Please note, health center holds are not registration holds. Students should be able to register for classes despite having TB testing/health center holds. If you are unable to register for classes, please contact your academic advisor to review other holds you may have on your account.
Students can schedule their TB testing appointment online at https://mavcare.uta.edu.
1. Sign on to the secure patient portal using your NetID and password.
2. Follow the prompts to schedule an appointment. TB testing appointments will be available weekdays, January 9 through January 20, 2023.
3. Complete the TB Outreach Packet in the Forms section of the patient portal to secure your appointment.
- The cost of TB screening is $66.
- If your TB screening results are positive, you must receive a chest x-ray before being cleared for classes.
- The cost of the chest x-ray is $59.
- The UT System Student Health Insurance Plan (UT SHIP) will cover TB screening received on or after the coverage plan start date.
- Spring 2023 coverage start date: January 1, 2023
- Summer 2023 coverage start date: May 15, 2023
- Fall 2023 coverage start date: August 15, 2023
- If you have already completed TB screening in the United States within the last 12 months, please submit your completed TB Form to the health center by email or fax.
- To be accepted, your documentation needs to be signed and stamped by the United States clinic you received the test from and must include the lab report.
- TB screening-health center holds will be removed from your account after documentation has been reviewed and verified.
- Mantoux/PPD/Tuberculin (TB) skin test results are not accepted.
Contact UTA Health Services
The University of Texas System contracts with Academic Health Plans to provide an affordable and comprehensive student health insurance plan (UT SHIP) to UTA students.