Change of Status: B-2 to F-1

Who Qualifies/Eligibility

A change of non-immigrant status from B-2 to F-1 may be requested when the applicant:

  • Has been accepted for admission to UT Arlington. Please note that students are not allowed to enroll in an academic program at UT Arlington while in B-2 status. Is in possession of a valid Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure card in the passport).
  • Has been in the U.S. for more than 90 days. (Change of status from B-2 to F-1 is possible before 90 days only if the visa officer has indicated "Prospective Student" on the B-2 visa.

Consultation with an International Education Advisor during advising hours is recommended to verify eligibility. To schedule an appointment for immigration advising, please click on the button below:

Immigration Advising

Follow the steps below

To begin the process of changing status, turn in the following documents to the Office of International Education:

  • USCIS form: I-539
  • Change of Status form
  • USCIS Fee: A money order or check for $470 payable to USCIS for paper filing or $420 for filing online.
  • I-94: Copy of both sides of applicant's I-94. If you have a dependent or dependents in B-2 status, include copies of both sides of their I-94, as well.
  • Passport: Copy of identity page, which indicates the expiration date.
  • Visa: Copy of B-2 visa.
  • Funding: It is necessary to show sufficient funds for the first year of study.

Please allow up to 7 business days for processing. When the I-20 is ready, an International Education Advisor will email you an electronic copy of your I-20. After you receive the I-20, you will need to:

  • Print and sign your new I-20
  • Pay the SEVIS fee here.
  • Ask any questions you may have about the Change of Status process.
After you have gathered all of the required documents for the change of status application, the student is responsible for mailing the application to USCIS for adjudication. Processing time at USCIS can be lengthy and unpredictable. Please visit for forms, instructions and where to file.


  • Dependents in B-2 status do not need to file a separate application, but they must be noted on the addendum sheet of Form I-539.
  • If you leave the U.S. and intend to reenter in F-1 status, you must request an F-1 visa at the U.S. Consulate before you return to the U.S.
  • Eligibility to enroll at UT-Arlington and for on-campus employment begins upon receipt of the approved Change of Status.