Student Group Travel

Girls at Oozeball

Student Travel Policy

Groups of students who wish to travel more than 25 miles from campus for activities sponsored by the university or a registered student organization must comply with the institutional Student Travel Policy (SL-G-PO-03). Authorization to travel will be granted by the appropriate administrator on campus (see details below). Copies of the travel documents for Registered Student Organizations shall be filed using the form below, at least ten days prior to departure. Read Travel Policy


map of surrounding areas of UTA

motor vehicle safety

All motor vehicle travel shall comply with the University's Safety Rules (HOP ยง13-603) above. These rules regard use of seat belts; alcohol and illegal substances; passenger capacity; license and training of operators; insurance, inspection and safety devices; legal operation of vehicles and driving schedule; university owned or leased vehicles; rented vehicles; and travel by common carriers.

International Travel

Student groups planning travel to foreign countries or territories outside of the United States will need to initiate their travel paperwork at least 30 days in advance of departure. Those traveling and/or their representatives will need to meet with and be advised by staff from the Office of International Education prior their travel being authorized. Whether your travel plans are to study abroad or solely for organizational/group purposes their staff and resources will be able to help advise and inform you as you plan your trip.


  1. Domestic- travel within the U.S. 10 days prior to date of departure
  2. International- destinations abroad 30 days prior to date of departure

Approval for registered student organizations:

  • General Organizations - The faculty/staff advisor on record will approve the request to travel and retain a copy along with waivers of liability. Once approved, travel documents shall be forwarded to the Student Organizations Office for review.
  • Social Fraternities/Sororities - Shall submit their paperwork for approval to their faculty/staff adviser and then to their chapter coach in the Office of Student Organizations and Fraternity & Sorority Life.
  • Sport Clubs - Shall submit their paperwork for approval to the Department of Campus Recreation. Once approved, travel documents shall be forwarded to Student Organizations Office for review.

Approval for departmental student organizations or other groups:


The following applies to student groups recognized and funded as program areas of a particular university department or special/non-recognized groups sponsored by a university department.

The director, dean, department head or designated representative of the sponsoring department shall approve the travel request and retain copies of the travel forms and waivers of liability. A copy of the travel documents shall be sent to the Student Organizations Office for review.