Skip to content. Skip to main navigation.

1098-T Education Tax Benefits

General Overview

As an eligible education institution, UT Arlington is required to file a 1098-T Tuition Statement to report enrollment and other identifying information for each U.S. resident student who was billed for any qualified tuition and related expenses during the tax year, as defined by the IRS. Universities are not required to file a 1098-T for students who are Nonresident aliens for U.S. income tax purposes. As a result, Nonresident Alien Students may not receive a 1098-T.

UT Arlington cannot determine if you qualify for a tax credit. The financial data provided is to assist you in computing amounts that may be eligible for certain tax benefits. Students and parents should obtain IRS publication 970 Tax Benefits for Higher Education or contact their personal tax advisor for assistance. The IRS website for obtaining forms and publications is or you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we report in Box 1 the amount you paid during the year for qualified tuition and related expenses. 

Instructions for Forms 1098T (Includes definitions of each box)

What You Can Expect From the University

1098-T Tuition Statement

Students meeting the following criteria will be eligible to receive a 1098-T Tuition Statement:

  1. Made payments towards qualified tuition and related expenses AND

  2. Have a valid SSN or TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) in MyMav AND

  3. Have a valid Mailing, Home, or Campus address in MyMav (Please log on to your MyMav Homepage and verify your SSN/TIN and address information.)

In addition, UT Arlington will file the 1098-T forms with the IRS.

Your 1098-T Tuition Statement will be available online in MyMav by January 31st if you have acknowledged the electronic consent outlined in the Financial Agreement in your Registrant's Responsibility Activity Guide. If the electronic consent has not been acknowledged, a paper copy will be mailed. If a valid mailing address is not designated in MyMav, it will be mailed to your valid home or campus address. Please take a moment to verify that your addresses are accurate and make any necessary changes in your MyMav Self Service Student Center.  It is also extremely important that the University has your name as it appears on your social security card.

View or Print IRS Form 1098-T

To view your past or most recent 1098-T form(s) online, log on to your MyMav Homepage and click "Accounts" to be taken to your student account. From here, click "Account Services" in the left-hand panel, and "View 1098-T" to access the form. Please note that forms for any given calendar year are available by January 31st of the following year.

IRS 1098-T forms are available for qualifying students in MyMav in Adobe Acrobat Secure PDF format. This format may be incompatible with other PDF reading programs. If you experience problems viewing your 1098-T form in MyMav, please make sure you have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. It can be downloaded for free from Adobe.

Tax Benefits for Education

There are several education tax incentives available that you may qualify for, including Education Credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning) and Education Deductions (Student Loan Interest, Work-Related Educational Expenses, and Teacher Educational Expenses). For additional information, please see Credits and Deductions for Individuals or contact your professional tax advisor.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did I receive a 1098-T and what am I supposed to do with it?

In January of each year, The University of Texas at Arlington generates an IRS form 1098-T for all students who made payments towards qualified tuition and other related educational expenses during the previous calendar year. This form is informational only and should not be considered as tax opinion or advice. It serves to alert students that they may be eligible for a federal income tax education credit. Receipt of Form 1098-T does not indicate eligibility for a tax credit. To determine the amount of qualified tuition and fees paid and the amount of scholarships and grants received, the taxpayer should use their own financial records.

What other information do I need to claim A tax credit?

While it is a good starting point, the 1098-T, as designed and regulated by the IRS, does not contain all of the information needed to claim a tax credit. Most of the information needed must come from the student's personal financial records of what the student paid for during the calendar year. Additionally, each taxpayer and his or her tax advisor must make the final determination of qualifying expenses.

I graduated and/or attended last Spring, so why did I not get a 1098-T form this year?

If you attended in the Regular Spring and/or Spring Intersession last year, you may not receive a 1098-T form. Students are billed for these two sessions as early as November and December, depending on the date of enrollment; therefore, the payments may have been received last calendar year.

What are Qualified Tuition and Expenses?

Qualified higher education expenses means tuition, fees, books, and course materials required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution that were billed from Jan 1 to December 31 of the tax year. Please refer to the IRS for additional information at

What are Non-Qualified Expenses?

Non-qualified expenses are amounts billed for any course or other education involving sports, games, or hobbies, unless the course or other education is part of the student's degree program or is taken to acquire or improve job skills.

Charges and fees for room, board, insurance, medical expenses (including student health fees), transportation, and similar personal, living, or family expenses are also considered non-qualified expenses.

Please refer to the IRS for additional information at

How do I claim a credit?

The university cannot advise students on the preparation of their tax return. Information for calculating a credit can be found in IRS Publication 970, which is available at

I took non-credit courses last year that were required by the university before I could enroll. Why are these amounts not shown on the 1098-T?

The university does not generate 1098-T information for non-credit courses, even if they were required by the university.

How is my Financial Aid Reported?

Financial aid, including scholarships and/or grants, is only reported when it is not expected to be paid back by the student. Financial aid is reported on your 1098-T according to the calendar year that it was posted to your account, not necessarily the year it was applied or refunded. Any change reflected in this amount for future years will be reported on a future year's 1098-T form.


Reviewed/Revised: 10/24/2019

Did You Know?

  • There is no Installment Plan for the summer sessions. Tuition must be paid in full by the summer session payment dates. Students can get an enrollment loan at the Student Accounts that will secure their tuition for the full summer term.
  • Students need to be sure they have signed a new Master Promissory Note and/or complete entrance counseling with the U.S. Department of Education if they plan to receive a loan for the 2014-2015 school year. The process can be done at
  • Financial aid is normally posted to student accounts 10 business days before the first day of class. Refunds are within 10 business days after any credit from financial aid appears on the student account.
  • Direct deposit is the safest and most efficient method for students to receive their refunds. This process can be setup by logging onto the student service center.
  • Texas Tomorrow students can setup their accounts to be paid for each long session in the fall and spring by taking their Texas Tomorrow card and student ID to Student Accounts and signing the Texas Tomorrow document. This process will be in place for 4 years.
  • Refund checks are either mailed or sent by direct deposit. Checks are not available for pick up at Student Accounts. Direct deposit is the preferred refund method and can be setup by logging onto the student service center.
  • Federal law requires that students sign a release of information before Student Accounts personnel can discuss a student account with a parent. The document is available in Student Accounts on the first floor of Davis Hall, Room 130.
  • Students who need help finding a job of campus can go to and register in the Snap Job System. New users of the system will have to register and provide information including their 10 digit student account number.
  • The UTA Health Center provides timely and inexpensive healthcare for students and faculty. The Center is open from 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and 10 am to 1 pm on Saturday during the long terms. Appointments call 817-272-2771.
  • Students can print their own enrollment verification on-line. Log into MyMav and click on the Enrollment Verification Certificate to access the National Student Loan Clearing House (NLSC) website.
  • NCAA athletics are an exciting and inexpensive form of entertainment that is available to all students. From volleyball in the fall, basketball in the winter and softball, baseball and track in the spring, students with a UTA ID can attend all sporting events by just showing their UTA ID.

Tell me more

Need Help?

Direct Deposit Video