Skip to main content

New Employee Information

Welcome to The University of Texas at Arlington!

On or before your first day of employment you will complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 at the following link:  Complete and Submit Form Portion of the I-9.  You will then attend the New Employee Paperwork Session within the first three days of employment to complete your I-9 verification and other new employee forms. 

Paperwork sessions are held Monday-Friday at 9:00 a.m. at the Westel Building at 1225 W. Mitchell St. in Room 200.

For the session you will need to bring acceptable documents to complete the I-9 verification processing.  If you are planning to have direct deposit you will also bring a voided check or bank verification document. Benefit eligible employees will receive benefit information during the paperwork session.

Helpful Information for New Staff Employees:

Instructions for Completing Your I-9

Holiday Schedule and Vacation Regulations

Employee Benefits

Learning and Development

Helpful Information for New Student Employees:

New student employees are also required to attend new employee paperwork sessions and provide documents for I-9 verification.


Acceptable I-9 Document Information

University of Texas at Arlington Frequently Asked Employment Questions

1. Why do I need to complete an I-9 for employment at UTA?
a. The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA) requires that the I-9 is completed by both employer and employee for each individual hired to work in the United States; this includes citizens and noncitizens.

2. How long do I have to complete my I-9 verification?
a. The form portion of the I-9 must be completed before attending the paperwork sessions and at least by the end of the first day of employment at USCIS allows three business days to complete the verification. To complete the verification, you will attend a New Employee Paperwork Session. More information on session dates and availability is posted above.

3. What documents can I use to complete the verification portion of the I-9?
a. Information on acceptable documents can be found at Documents used for the I-9 must be original and cannot be expired.

4. Can I use a copy of my social security card to complete I-9 verification?
a. No, USCIS requires that employer view the original document to complete the I-9.

5. I worked last spring, but I am moving to another department in fall. Do I need to complete another I-9?
a. Employees who have a break in service longer than six months are required to complete a new I-9. If your break was less than six months, you are not required to complete a new form.

6. I am an international student and do not have a social security number yet. Can I complete my I-9?
a. As with any other employee, once you have been offered employment and have completed all other pre-employment requirements, you can complete an I-9 with documents from the acceptable document list. When completing the actual form, you will select “ssn applied” instead of entering your number.

7. I have acceptable documents, but they are currently with a family member out of the state. Can I begin working?
a. I-9 verification must be completed within three business days of the start of your employment. If you can obtain the document before your third day of employment and attend the paperwork session to present the document, you are able to start. If you are not, you should speak with your department to explain that you are not ready to start employment yet.

Have Questions?
Contact us at