502 South Cooper St. #335
Arlington, TX 76019
The program in Glass allows students the opportunity to explore the sculptural, conceptual and functional aesthetics of glass as an artistic media. A variety of traditional, contemporary and experimental glass working techniques are examined and utilized in the challenging course work. The attitude and aesthetic of the artist/craftsman and his/her relationship to materials, concept and function is used as a resource for the creation and discussion of the student's work. Projects are structured to develop technical, aesthetic and conceptual expertise as well as encourage students to seek personal expression through the exploration of wide-ranging glass techniques and applications.
The glass facilities at UTA provide a world class state of the art studio space and appropriate equipment to explore a variety of techniques addressing all levels of glassblowing, flameworking, fusing/slumping, casting, and fabrication. Class size is limited in order to encourage a tutorial relationship with the instructor and enhance the self-confidence of the student while working with new materials and techniques. Course offerings allow students an opportunity to receive a BFA degree in Art with a concentration in Glass, as well as a Masters of Fine Arts in Glass.
For a look into our Glass facilities, please visit the Facilities | Glass digital gallery.
- The UTA glass facility consists of several purpose built, state of the art, technically specialized studio areas.
- Climate controlled 3000 sq. ft. Cold Shop
- The Cold Shop houses grinding, cutting, shaping, polishing and fabrication equipment.
- Extensive warm glass work areas with complete fusing & slumping equipment
- Kiln room with a variety of casting and fusing kilns
- Flame working area with various sized torches and annealers
- A separate 4800 sq. ft. Hot Shop
- The Hot Shop is completely equipped with a six station glassblowing facility.
- Glass engraving & carving techniques can be explored using state of the art diamond cutting lathes and grinders